Eric the Minion

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

saw the movie, didn't actually hate it, its just a very basic illumination film, kinda boring at times and many jokes dont really land, but its got some very charming moments and some of the references are so forced its impossible not to laugh (good thing)

still expecting DM2-tier legs

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 hour ago, Flip said:

Is there any list of the biggest pure fridays?

I only have top opening true Fridays (not all Fridays):

Best Opening True Fridays (i.e. Opening Friday sans Thursday Previews)

1. Avengers: Endgame (2019) — 97.5 million
  2. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) — 72.0 million
  3. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) — 67.3 million
  4. Jurassic World (2015) — 63.5 million
  5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) — 62.1 million
  6. The Avengers (2012) — 62.1 million
  7. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) — 59.7 million
  8. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) — 56.8 million
  9. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) — 56.3 million
  10. The Lion King (2019) — 54.9 million
  11. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) — 54.7 million
  12. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) — 53.9 million
  13. Iron Man 3 (2013) — 53.3 million
  14. Incredibles 2 (2018) — 52.8 million
  15. Furious 7 (2015) — 51.6 million
  16. Black Panther (2018) — 50.7 million
  17. Captain America: Civil War (2016) — 50.5 million
  18. Spider-Man 3 (2007) — 49.8 million
  19. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) — 49.6 million
  20. The Dark Knight (2008) — 48.7 million
  21. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011) — 47.6 million
  22. The Hunger Games (2012) — 47.5 million
  23. Beauty and the Beast (2017) — 47.5 million

Peace,

Mike

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

34 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

saw the movie, didn't actually hate it, its just a very basic illumination film, kinda boring at times and many jokes dont really land, but its got some very charming moments and some of the references are so forced its impossible not to laugh (good thing)

still expecting DM2-tier legs

That would be enough for 500m.

Mario Odyssey Dancing GIF

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

Was the Mario trailer huge on TikTok? I'm absolutely perplexed by it's Avenger's level popularity and box office prowess.

Honestly not sure about trailers but the Mario franchise is massive. Mario Kart 8 has sold 55M copies WW, and that doesn’t even account for its push into mobile and arcades.

What’s happening is really just synergy across the popular franchise and the animation style. It just works and looks Mario. Meanwhile Nintendo has their most popular single console especially in the younger age group.

Sonic meanwhile was still very successful but it’s most recent game is fielding <5M sales for perspective.

Another aspect of the marketing has been quite quiet, the entire cast has been doing a huge amount of promotion for literally months.

1 hour ago, Alex SciChannel said:

This is insane. Loved the movie and glad it's doing so well. Also wanted to give my respects to fellow JPark groupie @Brainbug. Nothing beats Jurassic World. I remember when it first came out. I was 11 years old and it was the night before the last day of school. Thursday night June 11th. Hype was through the roof and I had about seen every trailer and TV spot there was. The entire school was basically in the theater it was insane. Giant crowdpleaser of a movie. Glad Mario is kinda like gen Alpha's version of that

Jurassic world truly is a GOATed movie. 

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, Alex SciChannel said:

This is insane. Loved the movie and glad it's doing so well. Also wanted to give my respects to fellow JPark groupie @Brainbug. Nothing beats Jurassic World. I remember when it first came out. I was 11 years old and it was the night before the last day of school. Thursday night June 11th. Hype was through the roof and I had about seen every trailer and TV spot there was. The entire school was basically in the theater it was insane. Giant crowdpleaser of a movie. Glad Mario is kinda like gen Alpha's version of that

Love hearing stories like this. I remember exactly where I was during that opening too. Last couple days of grade 10. Earlier in the week I had seen an early employee screening of the movie, and for a few days I just sat on it, not expecting at all what sort of juggernaut it was about to become.

Friday morning i remember waking up and seeing the 18.75M Thursday number, thinking holy crap this thing might hit 150. Later that afternoon I remember there being some major high school drama among a bunch of people, so a lot of plans that night got canceled. So I ended up on the couch in my old home, updating the weekend thread as RTH’s numbers went up and up and up. Kind of nuts.

7 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Every time I go to my nearest AMC theater I think back to the one poster that would give or reference parking lot reports to determine how big the OW weekend was going to be for a movie.

That was BKB.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Love hearing stories like this. I remember exactly where I was during that opening too. Last couple days of grade 10. Earlier in the week I had seen an early employee screening of the movie, and for a few days I just sat on it, not expecting at all what sort of juggernaut it was about to become.

Friday morning i remember waking up and seeing the 18.75M Thursday number, thinking holy crap this thing might hit 150. Later that afternoon I remember there being some major high school drama among a bunch of people, so a lot of plans that night got canceled. So I ended up on the couch in my old home, updating the weekend thread as RTH’s numbers went up and up and up. Kind of nuts.

It was one hell of a weekend. For a young JP fan it was dreams coming true. I had lived my whole life without a single new Jurassic Park movie (born in 2003). I watched the originals on VHS and on DVD as a youngin and just hearing from others online of this bygone era of Jurassic Park that seemed to be at rest now. But then whispers of a fourth movie started floating around and some leaked test footage of an Azhdarchid on a beach got some first levels hype. Then the first trailer came out and it was magic. My generation finally had their era of Jurassic. Their own era of dinosaur hype in popular media. I would talk nonstop about it with this other kid named Cole. God bless him, I wonder where he is now. We shared a great love for movies and I happened to see him at the same Thursday night screening I went to, along with other classmates. Pure cinematic magic.

3 hours ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Oh man, nostalgia.

Still remember Box Office Mojo headline on Jurassic World estimate 

"Jurassic World Indomitable Rex" 204 million and then when actuals came 🔥

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 1