Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

36 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I agree, I think a lot of the dramatic posts on here about the mass release dates exodus are coming from people who don't understand how the film industry works and are adding 2+2 and getting 5. 

I suspect studios will be shuffling release dates anyway but more to get breathing room, 

I think people are over estimating the further out projects. The real ramifications are shit happening today like all the Late Night shows going to reruns, anything currently being written. Things that have been announced for a while are much safer off.

• Like 3

The AI ban is bonkers. I get that the writers are in a precarious spot now (I’m a freelancer and have spent a lot of time worrying about it). But when has Luddism ever worked? The tech’s here and it’s only gonna get better. No use burying our heads in the sand. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jeffthehat said:

The AI ban is bonkers. I get that the writers are in a precarious spot now (I’m a freelancer and have spent a lot of time worrying about it). But when has Luddism ever worked? The tech’s here and it’s only gonna get better. No use burying our heads in the sand. 

Yeah, they’re really a sandcastle against a tsunami here. Could be a while for a deal if it takes them a while to see the light on this part.

16 minutes ago, jeffthehat said:

Probably because it's the first technology that goes beyond functional use and replaces human thought, imagination, and decision making. It's pretty inarguably the most dangerous technological advance since the atomic bomb. I think we shit be shitting our pants, personally, at this Pandora's Box. 

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Probably because it's the first technology that goes beyond functional use and replaces human thought, imagination, and decision making. It's pretty inarguably the most dangerous technological advance since the atomic bomb. I think we shit be shitting our pants, personally, at this Pandora's Box. 

Yeah I haven't been sleeping well lol. On the upside, there's still a lot of creativity required when working with it. It speeds up output but you need talent for prompting and editing. You can't just tell it to write the script for Blade and expect something good. It will result in job losses, and I sympathize with the writers there. Unfortunately though, the cat's out of the bag. 

Edited by jeffthehat
  • Disbelief 1

Streamers severely underpaying pretty much all creative people outside of the 0,1% that has the fame and power to negotiate is a disgusting thing that's been going on for over a decade.

AI replacing human creativity with cheap bullshit is a much more recent thing but equally horryfying.

I hope the writers hold out and don't back down.

1 hour ago, jeffthehat said:

There's legal issues with AI. Things created with AI can't actually be copyrighted since copyrights can only be created by human beings.

• Like 1

Generative AI is inevitable. You cannot run away from tech however bad it looks. Every major progress took away jobs but add jobs in other ways. Before Tractor was invented, there were lot more jobs in farming. hell we had human alarm clocks before simple alarm clock was invented. I know countries would want to ban self driving cars as well as that will impact jobs. 

Lol @ ppl thinking AI is smart enough to replace human ingenuity completely but not smart enough to realize it can even replace humankind completely. Of all the dystopian futures in movies, I used to think Skynet was the least likely to come true but here we are.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Generative AI is inevitable. You cannot run away from tech however bad it looks. Every major progress took away jobs but add jobs in other ways. Before Tractor was invented, there were lot more jobs in farming. hell we had human alarm clocks before simple alarm clock was invented. I know countries would want to ban self driving cars as well as that will impact jobs. 

Don't see a ton of jobs added here. Not a lot for humans to do when neither your physical nor intellectual labor is in demand. I guess we just consume the endless mountains of subpar slop that are generated? Seems really healthy on a societal level.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Don't see a ton of jobs added here. Not a lot for humans to do when neither your physical nor intellectual labor is in demand. I guess we just consume the endless mountains of subpar slop that are generated? Seems really healthy on a societal level.

As of today I dont see Large Language Model(LLM) replacing humans. They would rather augument humans who use them. So the competition to your job is not the AI but the person using AI to augument the work. At least I am in tech and that is where things are going. It could take a person to average ability and make him Above average or better. Exceptional folks would still be ok as they would do something out of ordinary. 

Take a SH Movie script. I have not seen anything that cannot be done by a LLM :-) You give it access to all comic story lines and general structure of well done movie and it will generate one for you. 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Watching the D+ series Made In A Day, you'd be amazed the number of drivers needed for logistics that a self driving vehicle that could just go 600 ft or go from an empty parking lot into a boat could do.  You don't need self-driving on congested roads - you need it for a programmed point A to B, and you'd eliminate tons of current jobs...

Seeing the logistics, I had my Aha moment on why Musk has pushed so hard for self-driving...