Eric Lasagna

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

8 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

They're not losing money. They're making $420+ mil every month

They're losing money if the amount they spend outnumbers that $420 million they make each month. It's finance 101 lol

4 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

What are they spending on their streaming side that costs that much money

Each blockbuster show is around 200m for them, and they can have a couple of them running at a time. Then there's all the other mid budget shows they make, movies, and the cost of residuals for everything else on there. I can't be the only one rewatching The Simpsons and Futurama on there a lot

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Each blockbuster show is around 200m for them, and they can have a couple of them running at a time. Then there's all the other mid budget shows they make, movies, and the cost of residuals for everything else on there. I can't be the only one rewatching The Simpsons and Futurama on there a lot

They don't pay residuals. And they make like 5 shows a year. They make over $5 bil a year just in US subscription fees.

2 hours ago, Premium George said:

Disney+ earned $7.6 billion in 2022, and they will spend $10 billion on original programming in 2023. They also lost subscribers for 3rd quarter in a row. This doesn't include other costs. 

Up until the recent quarter, a lot of the loss was mainly down to them dropping the IPL in India, now it's a true subscriber loss

3 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

They don't pay residuals. And they make like 5 shows a year. They make over $5 bil a year just in US subscription fees.

They pay residuals. I mean, actors and writers complain about how little residuals they are paid.

The residuals are too small for each actor, writer and director. However, if you combine all residuals paid for a show, it shouldn't be a so small amount.

Edited by Kon

32 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Does there really have to be unanimous approval from the AMPTP for a deal to go through? 

It Netfix is the lone holdout I can see AMPTP moving on without them to make a deal with SAG and WGA. Netflix would finally die with no actors and writers willing to work with them. 

37 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It Netfix is the lone holdout I can see AMPTP moving on without them to make a deal with SAG and WGA. Netflix would finally die with no actors and writers willing to work with them. 

However, it isn't only Netflix.

In general, studios don't want to set the "precedent" of offering fair pay.

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Aren't Netflix the number one employer for writers? That would be a pretty big holdout. Maybe they would die, as you say, but if something that big is suddenly not there anymore, the guild members would still suffer, as the volume slack would definitely not be picked up by the other studios and streamers. I don't see how an agreement without Netflix involved would be a win beyond the short term...

40 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Aren't Netflix the number one employer for writers? That would be a pretty big holdout. Maybe they would die, as you say, but if something that big is suddenly not there anymore, the guild members would still suffer, as the volume slack would definitely not be picked up by the other studios and streamers. I don't see how an agreement without Netflix involved would be a win beyond the short term...

Seems like a better alternative to being employed by no one. Netflix would eventually have to cave if they want to remain relevant.

Edited by poweranimals

12 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

They just forgot to make content that people want to watch. 

The whole “Star Wars and Marvel are going to be the entirety of our original TV content” was always a terrible idea. If that doesn’t limit your sub base, I don’t know what does. 

Edited by MovieMan89

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The whole “Star Wars and Marvel are going to be the entirety of our original TV content” was always a terrible idea. If that doesn’t limit your sub base, I don’t know what does. 

Well it's not like D+ didn't try to get more programming.  It's just a lot of it didn't take off/was too focused on the family market where the back catalogue/recently released movies was already satisfying that itch or just didn't have too wide of an appeal. 

Gonna be interesting to see how Percy Jackson does coming this winter, though even there it's being reliant on prior IP.

Speaking of which, if D+ dropped the ball anywhere it was in not putting enough muscle in developing new things. And it's probably here where the Hulu/D+ split hurts the most as Hulu is still generating the occasional new breakout (like Only Murders, for instance).

(Should add that The Santa Clauses was a legitimate breakout for D+ if one looks at total viewers per minutes watched — and perhaps D+'s first real success story outside of Marvel/SW when it comes to original programming)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3