Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

10 hours ago, Bob Train said:

WB is gonna need to find a better date for Dune 2 because if it sticks, it'll get killed in the March onslaught with limited PLFs. Same with Snow White. And no idea why Elio, and KFP4 are releasing back-to-back as they'd cannibalize each other. So lots of changes coming.

I think a lot of 2024 release dates are gonna change in the next few months, especially if the strikes persist deep into the Fall. In Dune’s case, March has already begun to become less crowded and I think we’ll see that continue. For example, good chance Snow White and Mickey 17 move to sometime later in 2024. Ghostbusters may move, too.

22 minutes ago, Squire said:

I think a lot of 2024 release dates are gonna change in the next few months, especially if the strikes persist deep into the Fall. In Dune’s case, March has already begun to become less crowded and I think we’ll see that continue. For example, good chance Snow White and Mickey 17 move to sometime later in 2024. Ghostbusters may move, too.

This strike is going to last as long as the studios feel they have enough movies to release and they will just spread them out give them more breathing room.  And they will just keep delaying the movies they want actors to promote.  TV has no bearing on it ending as it's obvious they were willing to kill a full TV season of network televison. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, emoviefan said:

This strike is going to last as long as the studios feel they have enough movies to release and they will just spread them out give them more breathing room.  And they will just keep delaying the movies they want actors to promote.  TV has no bearing on it ending as it's obvious they were willing to kill a full TV season of network televison. 

Until late 2024 it is then.

8 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Wouldn’t repeatedly delaying their movies still hurt the studios? 

It won't last until late 2024 for two reasons, one because both the writers and actors cannot go without work for that long and indeed most in the industry can't either and also the studios need content, Covid delays were possible because cinemas were shut, you can't do that when everything is open. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kon said:

The Drew Barrymore Show Season 4 is set to premiere on Monday, September 18, a choice that Barrymore said is all on her and will be in compliance with the SAG-AFTRA and WGA strike rules.

“I own this choice. We are in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind,” she added.

However the WGA doesn't agree, as discussed in this thread:

During the last WGA strike, the late night talk show hosts were eventually ordered back on air before it was resolved. The shows not under interim agreements featured lots of improvisation, like Conan spinning his wedding ring on the desk. Are the WGA strike rules different this time, or is there an assumption that only comedians can spontaneously think of things to say/do on camera? Not all of the daytime talk shows ever even had WGA writers.

Barrymore's show does, so even changing formats so that new episodes aren't "written" would still be considered a violation because the writers are being replaced (via scabbing or obsolescence)?

I've never watched Drew's show but surely being a daytime talkshow, it's not written in the sense like a late show. The View is still airing so why it is any different?

I suspect she herself can't say no otherwise she's in violation of her contract with CBS who could sue her. If Kelly Clarkson returns then we'll know it's for the same seasons. 

Wouldn't all the hosts on talk shows with WGA writers face the same issues: do your show or get sued/fired? Either Drew can sit out hosting duties without threat of losing her show, or the rest of the hosts will also be ordered back to work soon. Syndication and network shows have different business models but in the 2007-08 strike, the late night hosts not under any agreement still resumed live shows without guests before the strike ended. None of them got blacklisted from anything AFAIK.

Frances Fisher weighs in:

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

However the WGA doesn't agree, as discussed in this thread:

During the last WGA strike, the late night talk show hosts were eventually ordered back on air before it was resolved. The shows not under interim agreements featured lots of improvisation, like Conan spinning his wedding ring on the desk. Are the WGA strike rules different this time, or is there an assumption that only comedians can spontaneously think of things to say/do on camera? Not all of the daytime talk shows ever even had WGA writers.

Barrymore's show does, so even changing formats so that new episodes aren't "written" would still be considered a violation because the writers are being replaced (via scabbing or obsolescence)?

This situation is also explained by the twitter user:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm still confused. Drew Barrymore isn't part of the WGA, so how is she a scab? Like, as far as I'm aware, the late-night hosts are part of the WGA, so they would be scabs if they started their shows back up

By replacing her WGA writers with whatever they will do instead.

I agree that it's not much different than other daytime shows, but it's my understanding that WGA also pickets those.

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

By replacing her WGA writers with whatever they will do instead.

I agree that it's not much different than other daytime shows, but it's my understanding that WGA also pickets those.

True. The WGA picket daytime shows as The View:

This case has turn more scandalous, because Drew Barrymore is a very famous actress (and I think she has shown support to the WGA strike in the past).

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

TBH I imagine if Drew had simply said, contractually the show has to start up again then she wouldn't get as much stick from the WGA. SAG AFTRA hasn't criticised her decision nor will they blacklist because as Frances Fisher mentioned her contract is with Netcode who aren't on strike. 

• Like 1

Literally the only reason people are losing their minds over this Drew case is because she's still considered an actress first and foremost (and even was a certified movie star for a while) and has been seen as such for almost her entire life. You don't see such handwringing over The View because 1) the closest to a movie star among the hosts (Whoopi) has been a supporting/bit player on the acting side for eons and 2) the show is famous for its drama among the hosts too juicy to be scripted that often goes viral.

• Like 1