Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Crabtree is the more level headed of the two by far. I'd just tell Fran to just start her vacation or something.

Italy would be good for Fran to go to....

I do wonder if SAG members regret reelecting her, luckily it's only for two more years. 

I hadn't read this thread in a week or so, just caught up in one go now and woah, it sure makes for an interesting study in how the media can alter people's perception of a situation with a couple of well-timed articles here and there.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

The subscriber levy is untenable imo because a large portion of content on streaming services aren't even SAG-affiliated, and they would be collecting revenue on every subscriber regardless of whether they actually contributed to revenues.

Jeff Sneider is on Rocha's show right now and he agrees with you.

Edited by Maggie

Im telling you guys if SAG just focuses on the AI thing and just throws away the stupid streaming revenue thing the strike would be over immediately. I also think that if you put it to a poll, SAG members probably at this point don't give a crap about getting  a cut of streaming. They just wanna be able to go back to work.

Edited by Cappoedameron

34 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Im telling you guys if SAG just focuses on the AI thing and just throws away the stupid streaming revenue thing the strike would be over immediately. I also think that if you put it to a poll, SAG members probably at this point don't give a crap about getting  a cut of streaming. They just wanna be able to go back to work.

I... I think you would be very very very wrong about that.

Exceedingly wrong.

(one great thing about unions is... they can let leadership know that they need to change course on tactics)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Lots of meetings this week … yeah it’s probably close to be done 

Maybe before the weekend 

This is awesome, I hope it gets done quickly with a fair deal for the struggling actors who make the art we all enjoy so much.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Lots of meetings this week … yeah it’s probably close to be done 

Maybe before the weekend 

I'm guessing they might get done by next Friday. Probably will take the weekend to finalize some items and meet on Tuesday. Reach an agreement on Thursday and agree to final points by Friday.

• Like 2

If they're anywhere even close to a deal by the end of tomorrow they'll likely follow in the footsteps of WGA and take the weekend to ensure that everyone can finally go back to work on Monday. The fun part will be seeing what compromises (from both unions) had to be made in order to get there.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If they're anywhere even close to a deal by the end of tomorrow they'll likely follow in the footsteps of WGA and take the weekend to ensure that everyone can finally go back to work on Monday. The fun part will be seeing what compromises (from both unions) had to be made in order to get there.

Unions seem to be reaching deals this week. UAW on course to end their strikes next week as well

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

I... I think you would be very very very wrong about that.

Exceedingly wrong.

(one great thing about unions is... they can let leadership know that they need to change course on tactics)

Agree with you 100%, the majority of actors who are complaining about the strike going on too long are rich actors like Ryan Reynolds who just want to promote their projects so the films don't flop since most big actors have been signing deals lately guaranteeing them percentages of the box office gross.

The majority of the SAG members aren't rich and streaming has screwed them over big time. Getting this over with isn't going to help those actors, for example Netflix recently removed a ton of classic black shows off the app due to lawsuits from the actors not getting any royalties on the streaming apps including Monique, and Countess Vaughn the star of the 90s show The Parkers although many of these types of shows have been successful on Netflix. If they let streaming revenue go, the majority of SAG members basically striked for nothing!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Agree with you 100%, the majority of actors who are complaining about the strike going on too long are rich actors like Ryan Reynolds who just want to promote their projects so the films don't flop since most big actors have been signing deals lately guaranteeing them percentages of the box office gross.

The majority of the SAG members aren't rich and streaming has screwed them over big time. Getting this over with isn't going to help those actors, for example Netflix recently removed a ton of classic black shows off the app due to lawsuits from the actors not getting any royalties on the streaming apps including Monique, and Countess Vaughn the star of the 90s show The Parkers although many of these types of shows have been successful on Netflix. If they let streaming revenue go, the majority of SAG members basically striked for nothing!

I mean if you're complaining about removing shows to avoid paying residuals, this doesn't exactly solve that issue. The studios will still be able to remove shows as they please.