kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | April 28 - 30 | Weekend Actuals | 40.84M THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 12.13M EVIL DEAD RISE | 5.10M RETURN OF THE JEDI

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

I enjoyed Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret, but I can totally see how a movie like that might be struggling financially in today’s marketplace. It’s sweet, it’s got heart, but it is very “quaint” for today’s moviegoing audiences.

I can see it finding more of a life on cable/VOD/streaming.

I do wonder perhaps it's one of those movies that has come out a decade or two too late. 

Remember with Rachel McAdams, it was her own decision to step away from acting to bring up her children. It’s not that this is what she’s “ended up with”. 

She’s in the position where she can afford to only do roles she really wants to do. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Remember with Rachel McAdams, it was her own decision to step away from acting to bring up her children. It’s not that this is what she’s “ended up with”. 

She’s in the position where she can afford to only do roles she really wants to do. 

This, and not everyone aspires to fame and celebrity. Folks who characterize her career as a "missed opportunity" or "loss" are upholding certain values as the ones to which we should aspire. Given the Hollywood machine, McAdams ability to have recognized what she needed to do to "stay sane" and feel "empowered" (her words) is something true fans should be recognizing.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 11

It's not her fault the industry is sexist. She was out there showing interest in comic book projects before the MCU and The Dark Knight were even a thing: https://www.mtv.com/news/ay4gv2/rachel-mcadams-eyes-neil-gaimans-black-orchid-as-superhero-role

If it had been say Robert Pattinson showing interest in an obscure, offbeat DC character, he would have received the greenlight instantly.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I recently saw Red Eye for the first time and it might be my favourite performance from McAdams. Shes so believable in it.

She’s so great in that. Excellent thriller.

I just watched About Time for the very first time a few nights ago and it was a beautiful film, made me cry.  

22 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I recently saw Red Eye for the first time and it might be my favourite performance from McAdams. Shes so believable in it.

Super fun, stripped down, no nonsense thriller. Dude's reaction to the missile at 2:00 is maybe my favorite little moment. Miss having a voice like Craven out there making movies.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Can we talk about how each film in the John Wick series has now officially outgrossed the last, both domestically and internationally? What an exceptional accomplishment - particularly the growth from the first film to the fourth.

John Wick Series - Box Office

Rank / Film / Gross (Domestic / International)

1. John Wick: Chapter 4 — 171.2 / 202.4 million (and still going)
  2. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum — 171.0 / 157.3 million
  3. John Wick: Chapter 2 — 92.0 / 82.3 million
  4. John Wick — 43.0 / 43.0 million

Other franchises with 3+ films that come to mind that grew with each instalment both domestically and internationally (though there are likely more I haven't identified - please feel free to share):

• The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-2003)
  • Captain America trilogy (2011-2016)
  • MCU Spider-Man trilogy (2017-2021)
  • Original X-Men trilogy (2000-2006) (taken as its own thing/separate from the prequel X-men films - I think this was an impressive feat back in the day)

The Toy Story series almost accomplished this feat, but Toy Story 4 made a smidgeon less internationally than the film before it. So close. The Thor series also was close to accomplishing this feat, but faltered internationally with Love & Thunder coming well below Ragnarok. Likewise, the original Jason Bourne trilogy accomplished the feat, but then faltered with the fourth Matt Damon helmed instalment. (It's worth noting that all of these series did accomplish it amongst the first three films, and not a lot of series do.) 

Obviously not all apples to apples comparisons, but fun to think about nonetheless.

Peace,

Mike

Said this before, but to me, the comparison to Bourne is the most analogous, if you consider the first Wick as the smaller scale introduction of the character/IP, and films 2-4 as the heavily marketed box office productions 

• Like 1

Illumination/Nintendo/Universal’s Super Mario Bros at $37.5M continues to break records with the best fourth weekend ever for an animated movie, beating Incredibles 2‘s $28.4M. Domestic running cume by tomorrow raises to $487.5M.

Now, New Line’s Evil Dead Rise — the young-ins love this movie so much, it’s only easing 50% to $12.3M. (Smile by the way had an amazing second weekend hold of -18%, but -45% for a horror movie is also something to brag about). That second weekend decline is better than that of the 2013 Fede Alvarez remake at -63%. By EOD Sunday, this latest version of the Sam Raimi franchise will be pacing ahead of the Alvarez edition by 9.8% with $44.5M.

All of this is assailing ahead of Lionsgate’s feature adaptation of Judy Blume’s Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret ($5.65M) in third, the same studio’s limited release of Finnish genre pic Sisu ($3M) in 10th place, and Sony/Affirm’s Big George Foreman: The Miraculous Story of the Once and Future Heavyweight Champion of the World ($2.6M) in 11th. Some distributors haven’t issued their Saturday estimates so these figures are apt to change. Further answering exhibitors’ demand for product is Disney with the 40th anniversary re-issue of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, which is gravy for the Mouse House at $4.9M in 4th place at 500 theaters and a fantastic near $10K per screen.

• Like 7