charlie Jatinder

Weekdays (8-11 May, 2023) Thread.

We've had other massive video game launches before during box office weekends, at most we've seen like a 1-2 million decline for the very biggest. It's negligible compared to big sporting events because someone can just pause a video game and come back to it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DAJK said:

No. It’s big in its own niche, but as someone who doesn’t play video games personally but am otherwise very up-to-date with pop culture and media (I also teach at a high school lol) and this is the first I’m hearing of it.

It is going to break all time  opening week sales records for a game, you can quote me. I know 3 people at work going OOO tomorrow just to play it and we already had someone in here say the same. Sorry, but you’re not nearly as up to date on pop culture as you think if you really haven’t heard of it. Again, it has already been breaking all website traffic records for a pre release game. 

• Like 2

Maybe there is no effect on box office with games, but if any game has ever affected box office, it’s going to be this one. Again, the number of copies sold will be on par with the admissions sold for a $200m+ opening weeknd for a movie. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It is going to break all time  opening week sales records for a game, you can quote me. I know 3 people at work going OOO tomorrow just to play it and we already had someone in here say the same. Sorry, but you’re not nearly as up to date on pop culture as you think if you really haven’t heard of it. Again, it has already been breaking all website traffic records for a pre release game. 

yeah it is the biggest thing happening in entertainment this weekend, for sure. 

I think those venturing out to see Guardians or whatever will have already decided whether they’re going or not, regardless of Zelda.  Ultimately it’s not like they’ll miss Guardians if they plan to see it during its run, but there’ll be some for sure putting it off for a game as big as this.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m guessing you’re a fan of it? 

Because I haven’t heard a thing about it either. I’m sure it’s ginormous in video game circles, but that doesn’t mean absolutely everyone is aware of it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m guessing you’re a fan of it? 

Because I haven’t heard a thing about it either. I’m sure it’s ginormous in video game circles, but that doesn’t mean absolutely everyone is aware of it. 

We have no way of knowing how a mass video game event does or doesn’t affect box office. All I’ll say is that no movie is going to sell in DOM tix in a weekend this year what this game sells this weekend. That I will bet on.

Also, plenty of people here being wildly out of touch with the gaming community is partly why Mario got so lowballed in predictions here. Just saying. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, DisposedData said:

Did GTA V hurt the box office when it released? Because if it didnt then Zelda certainly won't make a dent.

GTA V came out in September which is a dead box office month so we can't really use that. 

1 minute ago, DisposedData said:

Did GTA V hurt the box office when it released? Because if it didnt then Zelda certainly won't make a dent.

Agreed. But do we know if GTA affected it that weekend? Possible. Did something drastically underperform expectations that weekend? 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, its a sequel to the game widely regarded as the best game of all time, 6 years in the making, Switch has an install base now of over 120 million players, has already broken tons of website traffic records on all the large game sites, getting incredible reviews, etc.

I would expect something like 15 million copies to be sold this weekend. Which in movie talk, would be like a $200m+ opening weekend, 

Zelda costs 70$ a pop at 15 million copies. That’s over a billion actually (1.050.000.000$ to be precise 🤓). That’s not even counting the collectors edition which retails for $129.99 a pop.

15 million in 3 days would be biggest game launch of all time. That’s nuts. Even Animal Crossing in the midst of the pandemic couldn’t do that. I think 10+ million in the first 3 days (weekend) is a safer bet.

Edited by OceanBlvd
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Hogwarts legacy grossed 850M from 12M copies, so Zelda is easily going 1B, might even go to 1,5B if sales are even better. Those collector editions get sold no matter what.

Hogwarts didn’t do 850M over the weekend lol. That’s two weeks after launch. I don’t think Zelda will do 15 million in 3-days lol. 10 million+ would already be huge for Zelda/the whole damn industry.

Edited by OceanBlvd

2 minutes ago, OceanBlvd said:

Hogwarts didn’t do 850M over the weekend lol. That’s after two weeks of availability. I don’t think Zelda will do 15 million in 3-days lol. 10 million+ would already be huge for Zelda. 

I didn´t mean to imply it did it over the weekend, was just pointing out the big gross from 12M copies. Tho I def think Zelda can do 15 million copies, the hype is next level. But yeah 10M would be massive and probably more realistic high end result.

FWIW, this was the day GTA5 was released:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/date/2013-09-17/?ref_=bo_di_table_106

Doesn't seem to have had a visible effect on anything, even if the game reportedly grossed close to $800 million in one day.

Zelda's going to be big, but I don't think it's going to impact anything.

Edited by cookie

I've seen hurricanes and blizzards effect box office.

I've seen covid shut it down.

But the is literally the first time I've seen an argument about how much the box office is gonna lose because of a video game....

If it does then I'd pray for mario more then anything else