Eric Lasagna

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

As soon as Iger came back, Disney has been driven into a gutter. Strange World, Quantumania, Indiana Jones 5, Elemental, Haunted Mansion, The Little Mermaid all look disappointing. Even Mandolorian, which used to be huge, has been driven into the ground thanks to Iger's poor leadership. Only Avatar 2 and GOTGV3 have done well, but Avatar 2 is James Cameron first Disney second, and the director who brought Guardians to profitability is going to a rival studio.

Under Chapek, Disney had huge hits, such as Doctor Strange 2, Thor 4, Black Panther 2, Shang-Chi, Encanto (streaming hit), even No Way Home although Sony got most of the dough. The only bombs under Chapek was stuff greenlit under Iger, like Lightyear and Eternals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 5

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

As soon as Iger came back, Disney has been driven into a gutter. Strange World, Quantumania, Indiana Jones 5, Elemental, Haunted Mansion, The Little Mermaid all look disappointing. Even Mandolorian, which used to be huge, has been driven into the ground thanks to Iger's poor leadership.

WTF? All those movies were in the making long before iger took over the leadership.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

As soon as Iger came back, Disney has been driven into a gutter. Strange World, Quantumania, Indiana Jones 5, Elemental, Haunted Mansion, The Little Mermaid all look disappointing. Even Mandolorian, which used to be huge, has been driven into the ground thanks to Iger's poor leadership.

Those projects were all mostly overseen by Chapek during production. Strange World was deep into its marketing campaign and nearing release before Chapek was booted. Changes by a new CEO can take a year or more to have an effect, they're still dealing with the last CEO's too-late-to-alter decisions.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

(TS2). 

top 10, maybe even top 5, of all time

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Iger was out of CEO spot for such a short time and during when a lot of things were on pause it’s pretty hard to argue he doesn’t have some part in most of what Disney has done the past several years. If anything, I’d say the movies he has the least hand in probably still aren’t really out yet since 3-4 years is a typical timetable (not counting covid) for a lot of big budget Disney stuff from green light. 

1 hour ago, Austin said:

What's funny is I did this with Puss in boots: The Last Wish. I got it on PVOD, but I liked it so much I took a friend to the theater to see it again and paid for their ticket because I liked it so much.

Did kind of the same too with that movie. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

But, it's nothing like Snakes on a Plane. Cocaine Bear was the "another Snakes on a Plane." 

Cocaine Bear ended up not being another Snakes on a Plane because Cocaine Bear over-performed. 

I thought it would be too, but it ended up hitting. 

Tracking at one point suggested $35m+ OW for Snakes on a Plane. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What movies had a ton of hype and awareness and ended up disappointing? 

Anything from the last ten years?

Pretty much all of DC since the Nolan trilogy (except WW and Aqum)

Edited by jedijake

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, a SOAP comparison seems comical given that was pre social media era. TikTok in particular is not to be ignored when it comes to trends that can help box office (see Minions and TGM from last year)

neither of those movies made money because of TikTok. Lmao

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Blade Runner, Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow, Hateful Eight

Godzilla 2014 wasnt really a disappointment finanicially imo. Yes, its legs sucked, but a Godzilla movie opening to 90M DOM and grossing 500M WW is a big success in any reality.

• Like 5