Eric is Quiet

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

47 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Yep convenience fee but I think that was just 7$…hmm let me check

Total
$72.93

the popcorn and slushee was 17$, almost 18$. I dunno the size, I wasn’t paying attention. Told her to tell the cashier what they wanted and I just paid for it. Lol

The tickets were so expensive cause it was 3d but I didn’t know it was amc Dolby til I got to the theater. It was basically the only showing before 7 pm I could find with 3 seats together and not on the front 2 rows on my side of town. I bought my tickets at like 1 or 2 pm.

i guess I could’ve got something off on the popcorn but I didn’t say anything about amc stubs to the cashier. I honestly just wanted to hurry up and get out of the line. At that point it was already 6 pm and I hate walking in and having missed the beginning of a movie.

This is why you need A-List my dude.

Up until about 5 or 6 years ago I used to go to the movies around 100 times a year. That was even when I was married. Probably 90% of the time I would go by myself but it was also relatively affordable and you could get a ticket for about 10 bucks. Now the cheapest ticket out here is about $16 to see a regular movie. And if you add in popcorn and a pop you're looking at more than $30. I pay 12 bucks a month for disney, I think 15 bucks a month for Paramount plus and my subscription to Shudder, the all horror movie streaming station, it's 50 bucks for the year. I go to the theater now maybe once a month because I just simply can't afford it. I have no problem paying about 50 bucks a month for streaming services because I can stay in the comfort of my own home watch whatever genre movie I feel like and I don't have to worry about all the other extracurricular bullshit that comes with going to a movie these days. There's rude and loud people every goddamn movie you go to and that drives me nuts. I love going to the theater I really wish I could go more but the tickets are just astronomically priced now. And I sincerely feel sorry for parents.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Up until about 5 or 6 years ago I used to go to the movies around 100 times a year. That was even when I was married. Probably 90% of the time I would go by myself but it was also relatively affordable and you could get a ticket for about 10 bucks. Now the cheapest ticket out here is about $16 to see a regular movie. And if you add in popcorn and a pop you're looking at more than $30. I pay 12 bucks a month for disney, I think 15 bucks a month for Paramount plus and my subscription to shutter, the all horror movie streaming station, it's 50 bucks for the year. I go to the theater now maybe once a month because I just simply can't afford it. I have no problem paying about 50 bucks a month for streaming services because I can stay in the comfort of my own home watch whatever genre movie I feel like and I don't have to worry about all the other extracurricular bullshit that comes with going to a movie these days. There's rude and loud people every goddamn movie you go to and that drives me nuts. I love going to the theater I really wish I could go more but the tickets are just astronomically priced now. And I sincerely feel sorry for parents.

Discount tuesday? Weekend morning shows ticket also should be cheaper?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Yeah usually I go on Tuesdays when tickets are 10 bucks lol. And I can't go on weekends because I work on Saturdays and my Sundays are pretty much taken up.

I still feel that the theater experience is indelible and I don't care how big your TV is at home it can't compete. And the big tent poles like FX and Guardians of the Galaxy mission Impossible and so on will always be films that I go see at the theater. Like I said I still go probably 12-15 times a year.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

The 1st show discounts are gone...now it's just matinee vs evening and Tuesdays for general discounts (seniors still get Monday discounts)...

Discounts were the 1st things to go before the ticket price increases...

It's why I keep my Cinemark pass - it gets me one movie/month for my kids, especially when I can combine TMobile deals, without having to worry about braving Tuesday crowds or making that work (which is really hard outside summer)...

But since I get one movie, I do elevate movies I won't get on streaming as more must see than movies I will...6 tickets is not a cheap outlay...

• Like 1

Be honest I only go to a theater if a movie has a must see factor to it.

If something gonna be on Disney plus or Android box in a month why bother unless it something you dying to see

Also post covid I find audiences in movie theaters are much worse. A lot of people who are like trash humans...talking whole movie...snapchating the entire moving with full brightness. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

38 minutes ago, baumer said:

Up until about 5 or 6 years ago I used to go to the movies around 100 times a year. That was even when I was married. Probably 90% of the time I would go by myself but it was also relatively affordable and you could get a ticket for about 10 bucks. Now the cheapest ticket out here is about $16 to see a regular movie. And if you add in popcorn and a pop you're looking at more than $30. I pay 12 bucks a month for disney, I think 15 bucks a month for Paramount plus and my subscription to Shudder, the all horror movie streaming station, it's 50 bucks for the year. I go to the theater now maybe once a month because I just simply can't afford it. I have no problem paying about 50 bucks a month for streaming services because I can stay in the comfort of my own home watch whatever genre movie I feel like and I don't have to worry about all the other extracurricular bullshit that comes with going to a movie these days. There's rude and loud people every goddamn movie you go to and that drives me nuts. I love going to the theater I really wish I could go more but the tickets are just astronomically priced now. And I sincerely feel sorry for parents.

Where I live they have a vip subscription which costs 20 bucks a month. You can see 3 movies a week no restrictions can even be imax. They also sell themed refillable popcorn buckets 2 times a year that last for 5 months so if you are going every week it pays for itself. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

Where I live they have a vip subscription which costs 20 bucks a month. You can see 3 movies a week no restrictions can even be imax. They also sell themed refillable popcorn buckets 2 times a year that last for 5 months so if you are going every week it pays for itself. 

Yes, they had that here in Northern Toronto as well for about 2 months and then they completely got rid of it. They knew guys like me were taking advantage of it and they were losing money. I can't speak for other parts of North America but here in Toronto and surrounding area they gouge you every single way they can when it comes to movies, actually pretty much for everything but that's a conversation for a different time.

A cinema outing here usually costs me ₹300-600 depending on if I eat something. Movie tickets are ₹200 ish.

For GoTG 3 I had to travel for 2 hours to watch it as in 3rd week my nearest cinema had removed it. Whole thing cost me like ₹3k ($35) and tough luck the film sucked.

Family cinema outing would suck I imagine.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

A cinema outing here usually costs me ₹300-600 depending on if I eat something. Movie tickets are ₹200 ish.

For GoTG 3 I had to travel for 2 hours to watch it as in 3rd week my nearest cinema had removed it. Whole thing cost me like ₹3k ($35) and tough luck the film sucked.

Come to London, I'll look after you 😘

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

really, many times, neither do the kids if it means popcorns and slushies...

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 1

Not sure if already mentioned but Disney+ is probably another factor in Mermaid's underperformance worldwide.

Coupled with live action remake fatigue, people are probably just willing to wait for its Disney+ release, a new habit formed by Mulan's Disney+ release and other Disney movies (Cruella, Raya and the Last Dragon, Encanto, etc.)

And there's less incentive to rush out to theaters when everyone already knows the story aka no spoilers and there isn't a breakthrough in CGI like Jungle Book/The Lion King let alone Avatar 2. Add the cognitive dissonance of the casting and the lack of star power. It's just a perfect storm for an underperformance.

• Like 6

Non English animation in North America 
🇯🇵Pokemon first $85.00m
🇲🇽Huevos: Little rooster's egg-cellent adventure $9.08m
🇨🇳Nezha $3.70m
🇫🇷The little prince $1.33m
🇮🇪Song of the sea $0.85m
🇮🇳Chaar Sahibzaade ii $0.70m
🇸🇪Pippi $0.50m
🇦🇪Bilal $0.49m
🇨🇱Condorito $0.44m
🇪🇸Chico and Rita $0.35m

1 hour ago, baumer said:

And I sincerely feel sorry for parents.

That no major chain has really jumped on a family plan for their subscription program really boggles my mind. Like you WANT families, who both (usually) spend a good amount on concession product, but also to build that movie-going habit among the younger generation

Because what happens when the current 18-35 prime demo ages up and their younger counterparts struggle to fill the void?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Non English animation in North America 
🇯🇵Pokemon first $85.00m
🇲🇽Huevos: Little rooster's egg-cellent adventure $9.08m
🇨🇳Nezha $3.70m
🇫🇷The little prince $1.33m
🇮🇪Song of the sea $0.85m
🇮🇳Chaar Sahibzaade ii $0.70m
🇸🇪Pippi $0.50m
🇦🇪Bilal $0.49m
🇨🇱Condorito $0.44m
🇪🇸Chico and Rita $0.35m

Yeah.... Don't add pokémon in there, exclusively available in a dubbed, chopped up version, it's not the same movie released in Japan, none of the original 3 are. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

That no major chain has really jumped on a family plan for their subscription program really boggles my mind. Like you WANT families, who both (usually) spend a good amount on concession product, but also to build that movie-going habit among the younger generation

Because what happens when the current 18-35 prime demo ages up and their younger counterparts struggle to fill the void?

I don't get NA not even having family ticket's in general. 2 adults and 2 kids all pay kids prices together in the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, M37 said:

I have railed on this point now since the subscriber plans came up.

The closest "family plan" is Cinemark, who lets you buy a few additional tickets at a discount with your credit...but if you get Cinemark, you can support one family drawing movie a month...that's it.  And summer tends to have 3+/month...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

:wtf: