kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

no. pretty much all their other franchises are mid level stuff. Bad Boys, Ghostbusters, Uncharted. The Jumanji movies were big but idk how much more juice they can squeeze outta that one.

Sony also has Gran Turismo in August, which I guess is their video game response to Fast and Furious, now that that series is winding down, at least DOM...

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

I think that would be difficult. TLM is facing a $120-140m opener, Aladdin‘s competition opened to $47m. 

It is keeping significant screens and even some PLF in its "hit" areas from last weekend, so those areas could carry Mermaid for this weekend.

Aka - I'm not writing off any Mermaid number yet...

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ooh that would only be about -16%. 

Aladdin fell -14% but not in the face of $18m+ Thursday previews for Spider Verse. 

$40m+ and under 60% second weekend possible for Little Mermaid? 

I think $40 million is very doable for TLM this weekend. So far, it is keeping pretty close to Aladdin despite the comp from ACTSV.

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It is keeping significant screens and even some PLF in its "hit" areas from last weekend, so those areas could carry Mermaid for this weekend.

Aka - I'm not writing off any Mermaid number yet...

Me neither. After a shaky start it bounced back terrifically during weekdays and while Spiderverse is a juggernaut in making it doesn't cut into LM's audience too much. They can coexist cause one is more female and family skewing and the other more male and nerd skewing. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Sony also has Gran Turismo in August, which I guess is their video game response to Fast and Furious, now that that series is winding down, at least DOM...

I don't think(?) it's meant to capture anything like Fast and Furious vibes but if we get to Gran Turismo 10 and David Harbour is like a superhero that'll be an interesting turn.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Tbh now would be the perfect time for Sony Animation to get back in the game of theatrical animation with how big Across and Beyond will be. I’d consider putting Mark Dindal’s Garfield under the label even though they didn’t produce it as I imagine The Emperor’s New Groove team will make a funny movie and could do Peanuts movie numbers. 

They have a lot of potential hits in the King Tut movie, to Spider-Women team up, to some of the other originals they have cooked, and they can be most likely to get adult animation into the theatrical door as the R-rated Fixed is their next feature.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Does Sony have anything beside Spiderman (animated and live) to keep them afloat? Morbius flopped. Venom is holding thanks to Spiderman connection. Anything else? 

if they made a movie based on KNACK it'd outgross Mario opening weekend

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think that would be difficult. TLM is facing a $120-140m opener, Aladdin‘s competition opened to $47m. 

Yeah. It would be difficult for TLM.

That said, it seems Spiderverse  and TLM reach different audiences, so maybe TLM won't be so affected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

if they made a movie based on KNACK it'd outgross Mario opening weekend

Tbh I would give Ratchet and Clank another go and Sly Cooper a try. Like I don’t think they do gangbusters but could do 100m+ domestic.

• Like 2