kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

31 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Demo audience breakdown last night as a school night for many...from Deadline...67-33 male, so starting as almost the mirror of Mermaid's 68-32 start...should adjust some, especially the 16% family number (which is big on a Thursday) as the weekend goes...https://deadline.com/2023/06/box-office-spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-1235398807/

"General audience turnout last night on PostTrak for Spider-Verse was 39% guys under 25, 28% guys over 25, 21% women under 25 and 11% women over 25. A 79% definite recommend with a very diverse turnout with Hispanic and Latino audiences repping 33% of the crowd, Caucasians 30%, Black 20% and Asian 11%. Parents and kids combined represented 16% of the preview night audience. Boys under 12 outweighed girls, 63% to 37% with 64% being between 7-12."

"Exits from Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak from last night’s heavy fan turnout is 5 stars."

Still claiming 75-90 for the weekend is possible lulz

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

If this actually turns out to be anywhere near as scary as what they're saying it is then it's probably going to be a mini breakout. And if word of mouth is outstanding maybe it's more than just a mini breakout. I'll be seeing it tonight, I'm really looking forward to it.

It's fun but it's a glossy studio movie so right there is your answer about how scary it is. It's actually well directed but the script is very by the book. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, M37 said:

Think it will, largely because Mermaid wont power through June like TGM. The rest of the slate looks roughly even with last year in total 

Yes TGM power up last June but other than TGM, June last year only had JW3 as mega hit. I have a hard time to believe Flash and SV2 would only make $316m (June only) combined. These two alone should contribute at least $500m combined to offset the deficit of Mermaid against TGM. Lastly, Indy 5 on 30 June should a one big last day boost to blow June pass $1bn. 

27 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Demo audience breakdown last night as a school night for many...from Deadline...67-33 male, so starting as almost the mirror of Mermaid's 68-32 start...should adjust some, especially the 16% family number (which is big on a Thursday) as the weekend goes...https://deadline.com/2023/06/box-office-spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-1235398807/

"General audience turnout last night on PostTrak for Spider-Verse was 39% guys under 25, 28% guys over 25, 21% women under 25 and 11% women over 25.

No wonder Ariel manage to keep her legs, the gender divide allowed for perfect counterprogramming. Take note Barbie! just focus your lady girl crowd and whatever happened between MI7 and Oppen is none of barbie's business. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Does Sony have anything beside Spiderman (animated and live) to keep them afloat? Morbius flopped. Venom is holding thanks to Spiderman connection. Anything else? 

A Mitchells vs. the Machines sequel would do well imo.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Flopped said:

It's fun but it's a glossy studio movie so right there is your answer about how scary it is. It's actually well directed but the script is very by the book. 

Well everybody's got their own taste and appreciation for each genre and I personally think that the horror genre is probably the most divisive when it comes to opinions. I hated films like Babadook and Hereditary and of course I'm a big Friday the 13th guy. So I'm very much looking forward to seeing it tonight. I'm just hoping I enjoy it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Hispanic and Latino audiences repping 33% of the crowd, Caucasians 30%, Black 20% and Asian 11%.

Subject to change by tomorrow of course, but I think this has to be the first time ever that two #1 openings in a row, this and Little Mermaid, where Caucasians weren't the majority audience. I think that's pretty neat.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

A slight bump for black audiences from Into the Spider-verse's 16%.

I'm still surprised the share of black audience for Spider-verse is so small.

Spider-verse has a black male lead, so I was expecting a bigger percentage of black audience (like The Little Mermaid).

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Sony doesn't usually adjust their weekend expectations until Saturday unless previews are just bonkers beyond expectations. The math for $95-100m is still there, which is higher than their number but not egregiously so, if it were to play out as frontloaded as other summer Marvel movies like Thor: L&T.

I say that as someone still expecting much more, but just offering some perspective as to why they aren't deviating from what they're telling trades at this point.

Best case scenario to me looks like a Jurassic World Dominion-type pattern that would get it to $135-140M, but Spider-Verse's share of Thursday sales compared to Friday were higher than JWD (again, this is the Marvel factor we have to consider) even though word of mouth is obviously more positive for SV.

TL;DR -- This might just carve its own path given the severe lack of true comparisons for a fan-driven animated tentpole. Incredibles 2 is tempting to look at, I know, but even Pixar at its peak did not have the kind of massive rush-out audience that the Marvel and Spider-Man brands do.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Sony doesn't usually adjust their weekend expectations until Saturday unless previews are just bonkers beyond expectations. The math for $95-100m is still there, which is higher than their number but not egregiously so, if it were to play out as frontloaded as other summer Marvel movies like Thor: L&T.

I understand the caution from a studio in not wanting to get out too far ahead in extrapolating, and sites like DHD and THR just reporting what expectations and/or tracking they have been given … 

…. But a write-up that includes $17M previews and $80-$90M opening weekend is just kinda ridiculous. At least say that was the forecast that now looks to be overshot (aka “rival studios”). Floor from that preview start is $100-$105M

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

I'm still surprised the share of black audience for Spider-verse is so small.

Spider-verse has a black male lead, so I was expecting a bigger percentage of black audience (like The Little Mermaid).

Maybe the fact that Miles is latino makes some portion of american black audience care less about him? 

1 hour ago, Legions of the Galaxy said:

Takes like 3.9 off 130, seems tough. Not crazy though

OW deflation is definitely been a thing since NWH. The last 3 films that grossed over 500m have had over 3.5x multiplier and the last 4 films that grossed over 90m ow (SMB, GOTG3, TLM, and ATSV) are all on track for over 3x multi

46 minutes ago, M37 said:

I understand the caution from a studio in not wanting to get out too far ahead in extrapolating, and sites like DHD and THR just reporting what expectations and/or tracking they have been given … 

…. But a write-up that includes $17M previews and $80-$90M opening weekend is just kinda ridiculous. At least say that was the forecast that now looks to be overshot (aka “rival studios”). Floor from that preview start is $100-$105M

Will be even funnier if it does 55 true Friday and deadline says 'a 100 million may be in play'

Edited by screambaby
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Maybe the fact that Miles is latino makes some portion of american black audience care less about him? 

I think older black audiences have a bias against cartoons/animation.

They think it's all kid stuff like the Smurfs and Scooby Doo. They think adults watching cartoons is silly.

The younger blacks especially black nerds absolutely love animation of course (anime, the Boondocks, Adult Swim, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Fox Animation, etc)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Subject to change by tomorrow of course, but I think this has to be the first time ever that two #1 openings in a row, this and Little Mermaid, where Caucasians weren't the majority audience. I think that's pretty neat.

3 if you want to count the Fast X demo tie (29 each for Hispanics and Caucasians)...

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Everyone that works with SH movies must be really relieved that after such a shaky 2022 and beginning of 2023 it seems the trio Guardians - Spidey - Flash will bring back some of the credibility the genre lost post-pandemic

One from each "superhero studio" too.