kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

It is starting to look like the Super Mario Bros Movie might end up keeping the title of biggest opening weekend (fri-sun) of the year despite opening on a Wednesday. If I'm not mistaken that would be the first time in nearly two decades (Shrek 2, another animated movie, did it in 2004). Given how huge previews have become and the fact that the Mario opening had no preview included, that's quite an amazing feat.

• Like 4

AS mentioned the demos suggest TLM and SV should be able to co-exist pretty well.

What stuck out to me on SV was just 11% being women over 25. 

I'll be very interesting to see the demos at the end of the weekend. How much does SV bring out families vs just young, super hero driven males.

27 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think older black audiences have a bias against cartoons/animation.

They think it's all kid stuff like the Smurfs and Scooby Doo. They think adults watching cartoons is silly.

The younger blacks especially black nerds absolutely love animation of course (anime, the Boondocks, Adult Swim, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Fox Animation, etc)

Also women are watching TLM. They are part of the demo too. 

54 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Everyone that works with SH movies must be really relieved that after such a shaky 2022 and beginning of 2023 it seems the trio Guardians - Spidey - Flash will bring back some of the credibility the genre lost post-pandemic

The problem with super hero movies was lack of quality films not that people hate the genre.

Also they need a hook.

I am sure no way home released this year it still would have done 2 billion dollars. 

The fact the film did nearly 2 billion dollars without china and during a massive omicron wave is crazy. 

Edited by Torontofan

48 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

3 if you want to count the Fast X demo tie (29 each for Hispanics and Caucasians)...

I mean I guess it kind of counts, but it's a weird gray area where it goes either way, while Mermaid and Verse are more definite. But sure, I guess we can say 3 in a row.

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

If it hits $55m true Friday, it's going way higher than $130M OW...I mean, it would already be at $72.35M with 2 full weekend days to go...

I'm being a little conservative with the IM, going 55/44/31.

Even with an OW around 130 or so, it would be interesting to see if this can catch Mario. The WOM seems insane. Either way, the top 2 movies of the year DOM being animated would make me almost cry. And 2 of the biggest of all time no less. So happy for the medium. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 5