kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Even with an OW around 130 or so, it would be interesting to see if this can catch Mario. The WOM seems insane. Either way, the top 2 movies of the year DOM being animated would make me almost cry. And 2 of the biggest of all time no less. So happy for the medium. 

you think a multiplier of 4.5x+ is in the cards?

22 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

EC early estimate 52M+ OD.

So, $35M+ true Friday...I like it, but I'd like even more:).

For the record, my Cinemarks have now found more shows for today and tomorrow, and at 24 shows tomorrow, it's now just 1 below Mermaid last weekend, so we're finally getting to where they should have set in the 1st place...there are no seats tonight, so it will be interesting if this plays like Homecoming did back in the day, where 10pm and later showings are just all tossed on til teens stop coming...or if this plays younger tonight, and we just get what we get today, and everything backloads...

PS - Mario, while saved at both locals, is the holdover getting clobbered by last minute showing pulls, with GOTG3 and Fast X getting lesser takes...Mermaid is take proof, so Mermaid will be the one holdover not to suffer, at least here, more than normal from Spidey's open...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Even with an OW around 130 or so, it would be interesting to see if this can catch Mario. The WOM seems insane. Either way, the top 2 movies of the year DOM being animated would make me almost cry. And 2 of the biggest of all time no less. So happy for the medium. 

it would be staggering if it did, but you never know!

I guess what we’ve never known is if those that didn’t come out for Spider-Verse really did eventually catch up with it and have now made the sequel a theatrical priority? 

As an animation fan it would be spectacular to see something that’s this drawn looking be the biggest film of the summer.  We could be looking at a huge shift in studio art style for animated movies incoming. Disney’s Wish has a hybrid kind of look which I haven’t liked based on what I’ve seen, but we’ll see. 

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I guess what we’ve never known is if those that didn’t come out for Spider-Verse really did eventually catch up with it and have now made the sequel a theatrical priority? 

Oh absolutely. The first Spider-Verse has some of the strongest post-theatrical longevity I've seen in a recent movie. For a good while, especially after it hit Netflix, I've seen my Animation Twitter, CBM Twitter, Meme Twitter, and just GA Twitter mutals all talking about this movie and gushing over it for years on end. Even the Film Twitter weirdos who hate everything Marvel and hype up vulgar auteurism love Spider-Verse. It's inane.

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

As an animation fan it would be spectacular to see something that’s this drawn looking be the biggest film of the summer.  We could be looking at a huge shift in studio art style for animated movies incoming. Disney’s Wish has a hybrid kind of look which I haven’t liked based on what I’ve seen, but we’ll see. 

That's already happened. Mitchells vs. Machines, The Bad Guys, Puss in Boots 2, that new TMNT movie. They all copy the Spider-Verse artstyle and the filmmakers have all stated in interviews that Spider-Verse was a huge influence in the art direction. With that and so many movies copying its multiverse premise, this is probably the most influential animated movie industry-wide since arguably the first Shrek movie.

(note I said industry-wide. Something like Frozen was influential for Disney specifically, but not the whole industry IMO)

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's going to be a slight nailbiter to see which is bigger: Spider-Verse 2's 3rd weekend or Elementals OW

That's going to be a funny weekend.

"Should we go see the thrilling multiverse superhero film, or the animated film with gorgeous visuals and a big heart?"

"Why not both?"

21 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Oh absolutely. The first Spider-Verse has some of the strongest post-theatrical longevity I've seen in a recent movie. For a good while, especially after it hit Netflix, I've seen my Animation Twitter, CBM Twitter, Meme Twitter, and just GA Twitter mutals all talking about this movie and gushing over it for years on end. Even the Film Twitter weirdos who hate everything Marvel and hype up vulgar auteurism love Spider-Verse. It's inane.

That's already happened. Mitchells vs. Machines, The Bad Guys, Puss in Boots 2, that new TMNT movie. They all copy the Spider-Verse artstyle and the filmmakers have all stated in interviews that Spider-Verse was a huge influence in the art direction. With that and so many movies copying its multiverse premise, this is probably the most influential animated movie industry-wide since arguably the first Shrek movie.

(note I said industry-wide. Something like Frozen was influential for Disney specifically, but not the whole industry IMO)

I was more referring to if this Spidey really breaks out into monster blockbuster territory.  Bad Guys did fine, and Puss in Boots was obviously a word of mouth hit. Mitchells - who knows how that might have done had it gotten a full theatrical release in different circumstances. 
SV is full-on a massive leap for audiences to go with in terms of its style. Much more than those other movies, which obviously have a look that’s relative, but nowhere near as wild and ambitious as what’s being done on Spidey. 

Well my female friend had plans so we have to postpone seeing the boogeyman for another day. I decided to go see Spiderverse for a 3:30 showing since she’s busy . Let’s see if it lives up to the hype!

They had a thing up for regal unlimited. It’s a 3 month deal so I think I will sign up since there’s so many movies this summer.(some from spring I haven’t seen yet either).

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

Fwiw, based on presales (and added capacity) was expecting TFri to be >2x Thur

Probably won’t get much of a Sat bump, but perhaps a very good Sunday hold 

17.35/36/40/34 = ~$123

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Fwiw, based on presales (and added capacity) was expecting TFri to be >2x Thur

Probably won’t get much of a Sat bump, but perhaps a very good Sunday hold 

17.35/36/40/34 = ~$123

Yeah 120-130 sounds about right. Insanely impressive for a movie whose previous entry only opened to 35 million. I remember that weekend thread a lot of people being bummed that it seemed Spider-Verse was DOA, only for it to be a leggy monster and now that's materialized into a massive OW. Wild trajectory. 

• Like 4