Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Transformers $25.6M FRI

2 hours ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

Considering the overperformance of TF, especially in how it took pretty much every PLF screen, Spider-Verse staying over $10M feels extremely impressive. Matching WW's holds feels a bit too optimistic, which puts it at $65m, but I think there's a strong path for both making $60m this coming weekend.

At this point, I think Transformers takes the crown though, and I think if the stronger than expected walkups from last night are any indication, even $70m could be in play for it.

Bear in mind it was only $7.6m previews for its true Thursday. I could see a 8x IM to get from 8.8 -> 70 if that $8.8m was contained within Thursday evening but a 9.2x to go from 7.6 -> 70 would be way too high during the summer.

1 hour ago, Eric Prime said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood earned bigger box office than Dark Phoenix, Terminator Dark Fate, Pacific Rim 2, only slightly less than Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Solo, at far lower costs than all those nostalgic toy commercials. But funny enough, 95% of the movies that the studios put out are nostalgic toy commercials that cost a fortune to produce and advertise, while movies like OUATIH are on their last legs.

We could see Heaven's Gate-style bomb after bomb with these nostalgic toy commercials and these studios will still pump out $250 million for an ALF reboot. There's no scaling down whatsoever.

No, execs aren’t stupid (at least the ones that remain employed are). They make nostalgic toy commercials because those make money. As soon as they start getting Heavens Gate returns, of course they’ll stop. I don’t see why anyone would think they wouldn’t.

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

No, execs aren’t stupid (at least the ones that remain employed are). They make nostalgic toy commercials because those make money. As soon as they start getting Heavens Gate returns, of course they’ll stop. I don’t see why anyone would think they wouldn’t.

We know this isn't true though. You are still more likely to get a Charlie's Angels or Terminator reboot than you are to get even a romantic comedy greenlit right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We know this isn't true though. You are still more likely to get a Charlie's Angels or Terminator reboot than you are to get even a romantic comedy greenlit right now.

Romantic comedies do get greenlit!

...On Netflix.

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

Box office theory drinking game.

Step 1: Take a shot every time someone brings up "Nostalgic toy commercial" 

Step 2:  Get your stomach pumped.

it's really only one person saying it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Eric Prime said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood earned bigger box office than Dark Phoenix, Terminator Dark Fate, Pacific Rim 2, only slightly less than Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Solo, at far lower costs than all those nostalgic toy commercials. But funny enough, 95% of the movies that the studios put out are nostalgic toy commercials that cost a fortune to produce and advertise, while movies like OUATIH are on their last legs.

We could see Heaven's Gate-style bomb after bomb with these nostalgic toy commercials and these studios will still pump out $250 million for an ALF reboot. There's no scaling down whatsoever.

Just so you know, toy sales have been down across the board since the 2010s and have only gotten worse, I get why you say it but that's more something of the 80s-2000s era of film making. Hasbro and Mattel are on the verge of bankruptcy and there's a reason Toys R Us died. I honestly also just don't get calling every single genre film a 'nostalgic toy commercial'. You really think Terminator Dark Fate was made for toys? It's just that the same reason you used to get 500 Arnie or Stallone films pumped out, they were viewed as a film with a guaranteed hook/draw. I agree that it'd be nice to get more original stuff back (The film I'm most looking forward to this year is The Creator) but, ya know. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I mean, we’ve got 2 rom coms in the last 8 months (No Hard Feelings, Tix to Paradise) and zero Charlie’s angels or terminator since 2019.

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean, we’ve got 2 rom coms in the last 8 months (No Hard Feelings, Tix to Paradise) and zero Charlie’s angels or terminator since 2019.

No Hard Feelings is not a rom com. It's an Apatow-esque sex comedy.

But there was that Priyanka Chopra film with Celine Dion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Whoa, haven't been following TF tracking for the last week and a half but how is it about to open DOUBLE to expectations at the end of May? Even the reviews aren't great. What did I miss?

Walk-ups

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Whoa, haven't been following TF tracking for the last week and a half but how is it about to open DOUBLE to expectations at the end of May? Even the reviews aren't great. What did I miss?

There was more to this movie than meets the eye

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Whoa, haven't been following TF tracking for the last week and a half but how is it about to open DOUBLE of expectations at the end of May? Even the reviews aren't great. What did I miss?

I'm with @M37 on this one. I honestly feel like the breezy, standalone nature of the movie is helping it out a decent amount amongst all the convoluted shared universes and multiverse stories we've gotten lately and will continue to get after. With this new Transformers, the only real primer is the Bumblebee movie.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

Guess we will hear more of Puerto Rico this weekend.

So I wasn't following the box office back then, when you guys say this do you mean that Paramount counted Puerto Rico as part of the Domestic market to increase the opening weekend of Age of Extinction to 100? Is Puerto Rico usually it's own thing?