Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Transformers $25.6M FRI

33 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

6.82 TLM

Continuing to track just a hair behind Aladdin. $300m+ still very much on schedule bar a disaster in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

Transformers 3 has better cgi then many films made 10 years after it

That film is a mess but cgi in that film holds up really well.

Michael Bay is probably the GOAT with this stuff. Is what it is. 

• Like 2

Not surprised at the boxoffice for Transformers it's pretty much going to flop because overseas numbers aren't good. They confused audiences with this semi reboot. I honestly think they should've just done a direct sequel to the Bay films but really focus on the quality and try to revamp the franchise like Fast Five did for Fast franchise. 

Edited by Godzilla
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Not surprised at the boxoffice for Transformers it's pretty much going to flop because overseas numbers aren't good. They confused audiences with this semi reboot. I honestly think they should've just a direct sequel to the Bay films but really focus on the quality and try to revamp the franchise like Fast Five did. 

Either a sequel or a full reboot. Instead they tried both. You need to be clear to your audience. Most people think this is a prequel to the Bayformers movies.

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Either a sequel or a full reboot. Instead they tried both. You need to be clear to your audience. Most people think this is a prequel to the Bayformers movies.

And prequels dont usually make as much $$$ as sequels. People are more interested to see what's happening next rather than looking in the past. The only prequel that makes sense to me is if it's entirely set on Cybertron. Why go back in the past and rehash the same basic human/transformer relationship that was done previously. For Bumblebee I guess it made sense because they lowered the budget and kind of a spinoff.

12 hours ago, M37 said:

Do not want to rehash TLM debate, but I don’t think ATSV suffered from any political or “wokeness” problem, yet did skew very much towards a younger, diverse, and city-centric audience than we typically see for a release of that size (in contrast to GOTG3, for example)

Actually wrote about it earlier this week in tracking thread, and I do think it’s reasonable to expect TF to bring in a fair number of middle-aged white guys who may not have caught anything since Fast X or even GOTG3

A huge diverse audience as expected at 30% Black, 28% Latino and Hispanic ( a growth in these first two demos as Bumblebee drew 25% Latino and Hispanic and 14% Black), 25% Caucasian and 17% Asian/other.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Eric Prime said:

Just as a reminder before numbers come in that you have until July 4 to participate in the top 100 Warner Bros. Movies countdown. All you need is a minimum of 10 to be part of a once in a lifetime list.

I haven't seen enough movies to feel I would fairly contribute to this list lol. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is what just got me into movies in Februrary so I'm like, wayyyyyy behind everybody.

18 minutes ago, YM! said:

A huge diverse audience as expected at 30% Black, 28% Latino and Hispanic ( a growth in these first two demos as Bumblebee drew 25% Latino and Hispanic and 14% Black), 25% Caucasian and 17% Asian/other.

Well ... OK then. Also a big family audience apparently? I guess that explains the late surge, didn't play like a blockbuster, but closer to something like Sonic or Minions

That also still leaves GTOG3 as the last major release (not counting Book Club 2) where white was the highest diversity demo. I'm sure that flips with the Indy/MI7/Opp/Barbie stretch, but interesting nonetheless

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, M37 said:

Well ... OK then. Also a big family audience apparently? I guess that explains the late surge, didn't play like a blockbuster, but closer to something like Sonic or Minions

That also still leaves GTOG3 as the last major release (not counting Book Club 2) where white was the highest diversity demo. I'm sure that flips with the Indy/MI7/Opp/Barbie stretch, but interesting nonetheless

I notice that GOTG3 was also the last major release to have a significantly higher OS:DOM ratio, with TLM and Spiderverse underperforming relative to their DOM gross overseas. Is it as simple as a movie which appeals more to caucasian audiences domestically will tend to have better overseas numbers?

Don't wanna open a can of worms regarding race, hopefully people can  discuss this with an objective numbers-based approach.

Edited by IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, YM! said:

White people hate movies now I guess lmao

(this is a joke people, please don't use this to start a fight)

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

53 minutes ago, YM! said:

Why are Hispanic's not counted as Caucasians?