Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Transformers $25.6M FRI

21 minutes ago, Mulder said:

BoxOfficeMojo did it again and counted the preview number twice lmfaaaaao

For some smaller movies, they put the WW number as the OS number giving it a higher than expected WW gross.

43 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

See, there's no way to prove this is actually happening. TLM obviously performed better than Aladdin DOM because of Halle Bailey. We don't know how big Mermaid is as an IP internationally  but of the big Renaissance films, it was the smallest, so were some places like say China all that crazy about Ariel in the first place, even if she were played by a white actress? Ironically Will Smith was the reason for Aladdin's OS overperformance.

If the Spider-Verse films hadn't starred Miles, they'd just be viewed as amusing little also-rans like The Lego Batman movie that came out not long after the Nolan Bat trilogy wrapped.

Isn't Aladdin ahead of TLM? And that's without adjusting for inflation?

2 hours ago, Eric Prime said:

For TF. Not SV. I'm 100% sure that SV's biggest audience share was Latino/Hispanic. But we wre talking about different things so my bad. TF audience share is so similar to TLM that's why I thought he was talking about TLM. 

7 minutes ago, Austin said:

By about 4mil at this point ya, i really don't see TLM managing to leg it out to the point it doesn't drop below 1mil till Week 8 either.

55 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

See, there's no way to prove this is actually happening. TLM obviously performed better than Aladdin DOM because of Halle Bailey. We don't know how big Mermaid is as an IP internationally  but of the big Renaissance films, it was the smallest, so were some places like say China all that crazy about Ariel in the first place, even if she were played by a white actress? Ironically Will Smith was the reason for Aladdin's OS overperformance.

If the Spider-Verse films hadn't starred Miles, they'd just be viewed as amusing little also-rans like The Lego Batman movie that came out not long after the Nolan Bat trilogy wrapped.

As an overseas member, I don’t think Will Smith had much to do with it lol, the original Aladdin was just really popular back in the day. 

9 minutes ago, Austin said:

I think they mean because TLM had a bigger opening weekend. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Willowra said:

This would be 4th blockbuster this year to loss money after Shazam2, D&D and FastX.

The movie is probably landing on the "barely break even" zone. With this being a toy brand it will also probably playing strong enough on the merchandising sales for Paramount and Hasbro to keep the franchise going.

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

White turnout rate was disproportional lower I believe also has something to do their age in general. White has the highest median age in USA at 44, compared to Latino(30) and Black(33) as of 2021. White is the oldest cohort in the country and we all know the general trend is that older people going less for the movie for whatever reason, including those that were frequent moviegoers when they were young.  

That too but I believe that the major reason is change of habit during covid. If the largest audience demo decides to wait for movies to come out on streaming, than other demos share will grow. It doesn't necessarily mean that those other demos go to movies more, just that demo that used to is going to the movies less. if 2 demo X and 2 demo Y see a movie that's 50% demo X share and 50% demo Y share. If 1 demo X and 2 demo Y see a movie, that's 30% demo X share and 70% demo Y share. Etc. Covid changed the landscape. We'll see if things will go back to where they were eventually or stay like this in which case we can expect fewer 200M+ OWs and fewer over 500M dom lifetime grossers aka special cases that attract crowd that now prefers to wait.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Fuck it - I had fun with Transformers right now. Probably my favourite of the (non-Bumblebee) series. Simple, MacGuffin-based plot, but not overly-convoluted, characters that are easy to like and root for, and some coherent action. Loads of kids in the cinema and they were all well into it. I think this might have pretty decent WOM for the summer, internationally. And I think they may now have a decent enough base to rebuild the brand, especially with the...errr, possibilities brought about with that ending.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

As an overseas member, I don’t think Will Smith had much to do with it lol, the original Aladdin was just really popular back in the day. 

I think they mean because TLM had a bigger opening weekend. 

Well the 3 day was barely ahead of Aladdin's OW and that's without adjusting for inflation. If that's what they meant.

5 minutes ago, Austin said:

Well the 3 day was barely ahead of Aladdin's OW and that's without adjusting for inflation. If that's what they meant.

Yeh i think that’s what they meant: Little Mermaid had a bigger 3 day than Aladdin. Bigger 4 day too ;) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Can GotGV3 get to 7M+ this weekend with that 2.0 FRI?

2 - 3 - 2 maybe? That Friday is $300k more than GotG2's $1.7M Friday. GotG2 made $6.3M on its 6th weekend, so I think Sat and Sun can make up the other $400k to hit $7M this weekend.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JustLurking said:

SV won't make 50/50 but it's still a solid bump overseas from the first one overall.

And hopefully, releases in Japan and South Korea that are still coming will help with the OS numbers.

• Like 1