Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

The whole thing about Leonardo DiCaprio is his combination of screen persona and project selection is unique. The idea of a "next DiCaprio" isn't a real thing I've ever actually seen except kind of with people doing it for Chalamet.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s not Marvel, it’s blockbusters in general. I know how much this mofo went out of his way to try to get the role of Spidey in Civil War, that’s where the Marvel bit of my reasoning in contrast to that recent interview came from.

He's literally in Dune and Wonka this year

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pinacolada said:

He's literally in Dune and Wonka this year

Yeah. This. Agree. I should've not responded earlier to prolong the discussion. And, I'm not really a fan of Chalamet even. I do think he could be well suited to Wonka. He's totally miscast in Dune. It's jarring.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s not Marvel, it’s blockbusters in general. I know how much this mofo went out of his way to try to get the role of Spidey in Civil War, that’s where the Marvel bit of my reasoning in contrast to that recent interview came from.

yeah actors start out early in their career trying to book literally any role they can get but when they're a big enough star to pick and choose the filmography starts to veer into their own taste. i don't think it's hypocritical necessarily. It's just the hustle.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah actors start out early in their career trying to book literally any role they can get but when they're a big enough star to pick and choose the filmography starts to veer into their own taste. i don't think it's hypocritical necessarily. It's just the hustle.

To give you an idea that’s not about Marvel or superhero films in general: Ryan Gosling. Not a single superhero film, I do think he trashed them on some interviews before. Seems like a genuine good dude, talented actor too. I just don’t see why all the hype around Chalamet.

3 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

I hope this is true because Zaslav is such a piece of shit all his failures just highlight the embarrassment he already is and if anything may drive the board at WB to fire his ass before he has a chance to sell WB which he will the first chance he gets and he probably is going to ultimately lose money in the end and have to sell it for cheaper then he purchased it.

All the films he said were going to do great have all been giant flops both critically and financially.

Between having to fire the puppet he put in charge of CNN over the Trump Town Meeting fiasco, and The Flash apparently bombing, this is not a good month for Zaslav.

3 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't think that's true at all.  HBO is still HBO. It's still the king of Sunday nights. It's still the home of premium TV whether that was House of the Dragon,  The Last of Us,  Succession,  and I think he knows that.   So what if 'The Idol' isn't good.  It's not damaging the HBO brand and honestly, the Discovery integration into the Max app hasn't really changed much.  HBO is still front and center on the app.  

If the idol was a meh show id agree here. But having seen the 1st 2 episodes.... It's horrendous. The fact HBO allowed The Weeknd to make the changes he made absolutely damages the hbo brand

I think what I find most crazy with The Flash is just how much WB seems to have miscalculated it. It's not getting good reception from audiences, its critical reception is mixed, the interest in it is low. All this and WB really thought they had a massive hit on their hands.

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

I think what I find most crazy with The Flash is just how much WB seems to have miscalculated it. It's not getting good reception from audiences, its critical reception is mixed, the interest in it is low. All this and WB really thought they had a massive hit on their hands.

Well on paper it seems cool. Batman and all that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well on paper it seems cool. Batman and all that

Perhaps the toughest lesson for WBD to learn from all this is:
Just because you put Batman in a movie, doesn't mean it's going to be a big hit.

It seems simple but make no mistake that simple fact it's probably huge for them as conventional wisdom for decades now told people "well with Batman on it it'll make money!". It's a very bitter pill to swallow.

Edited by 21C

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

This is the worst weekend for the Box Office ever. Two 200m+ budgeted movies doing bombing hard on the same weekend. It doesn't get much worse than this.

Wait 2 weeks when  One million 350 movie bombs hard