Eric Burnett

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Elemental is as bad as it gets, i would have rather lit myself on fire

I saw it at a midnight showing and the only others in theater was a mother and her child and it was like we were all playing a game of Silent Library

It flipping this weekend was understandable. From the director of The Good Dinosaur and got the same kind of reviews. Families will just wait for Disney+. Pixar needs to get back to their greatness 

DCEU:

1. The Suicide Squad

2. Birds of Prey

3. Snyder Cut

4. Wonder Woman

5. The Flash

6. Aquaman

7. Shazam

8. WW84

9. Suicide Squad

10. BVS

11. Man of Steel

12. Shazam 2

13. Black Adam

14. Whedon Cut

TSS is the only one I'd consider pretty good. BOP is a mess structurally and milks its style for as much mileage as possible but really fun. The rest range from interesting (Snyder Cut) to fun (Wonder Woman) to misshapen (The Flash, Aquaman) to mediocre (Shazam, WW84)  to "oh no baby.. what is you doing???" (Suicide Squad, BVS, MOS, Shazam 2) to bottom of the barrel (Black Adam) to unfinished (Whedon Cut)

Pixar:

1. Toy Story

2. Toy Story 2

3. Toy Story 3

4. Monsters Inc

5. Inside Out

6. Wall-E

7. Ratatouille

8. Finding Nemo

9. Up

10. The Incredibles

11. Soul

12. Bug's Life

13. Coco

14. Toy Story 4

15. Onward

16. Luca

17. Incredibles 2

18. Turning Red

19. Good Dinosaur

20. Finding Dory

21. Lightyear

22. Monsters University

23. Brave

24. Cars

25. Cars 2

26. Elemental

Why should I watch Cars 3

This summer is such a mess of scheduling and logistics. Why is there no other wide release next weekend besides the JLaw comedy which is probably flopping?? One of M7, Barbie, Oppenheimer could have sneaked in there. The week after is Indy 5 which could also flatline and then July 7th which has Joy Ride (probable flop) and another Insidious movie

• Like 1

ZSJL -8.5/10

Man of steel - 8/10

The suicide squad - 8/10

Wonder woman.    - 8/10

Aquaman.               - 7.5/10

Shazam.                  - 7/10

Black Adam.          -7/10

WW1984 - 6/10 so bad it's good

Suicide squad  - 6/10 so bad it's good

JL 2017.        - 5.5/10 

Birds of prey. -5/10

BVS.                -5/10

Haven't watched Shazam 2 and flash yet.

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

This summer is such a mess of scheduling and logistics. Why is there no other wide release next weekend besides the JLaw comedy which is probably flopping?? One of M7, Barbie, Oppenheimer could have sneaked in there. The week after is Indy 5 which could also flatline and then July 7th which has Joy Ride (probable flop) and another Insidious movie

if Indy just moved up a week, to allow Mi7 move up week, all would be good

8 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

if Indy just moved up a week, to allow Mi7 move up week, all would be good

The current schedule is fine. It is not at all like June is making some kind all time monthly gross of $1.2bn like in 2018, 2015 and 2013. I mean, nobody would know Flash would be this scale of disaster and naturally people would want to keep a distance of at least two-weeks gap with another "supposed" $100m OW, not to mention there are still holdovers out there like SV2 and Transformer 6. 

49 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

From this point on, the schedule is fine IMO. FX/TLM/SV2/TF/Flash+Elemental coming one week after the other with no breaks was the real crazy part. One or two of those (like TF) should have opened in April and fared much better.

Ill probably make myself a lot of enemies by saying this, but i actually really liked only 1 DCEU movie since the Nolan Dark Knight Masterpieces.

And that movie is Aquaman. One of the best comedies of this generation. Every other DCEU movie ive seen just wasnt for me.

• Like 2

DCEU-

1. Zack Snyder's Justice League

2. Batman v Superman (Director's cut)

3. Man of Steel

4. Wonder Woman

5. The Suicide Squad

6. Wonder Woman 1984

7. Aquaman
8. Shazam

9. Birds of Prey

10. Shazam: Fury of The Gods

11. Suicide Squad

12. Black Adam

13. Josstice League

14. Flash

1-7 I really like or love, 8 & 9 I like but have problems with, 10-14 eeeeh

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 1

DCEU:

1. Man of Steel

2. Zack Snyder's Justice League

3. BvS Ultimate Edition

4. Wonder Woman

5. Shazam

6. Aquaman

7. The Suicide Squad

8. Suicide Squad

9. The Flash

10. Shazam - Fury Of The Gods

11. Black Adam

12. Birds of Prey

13. WW84

14. Justice League

• Like 1

As a huge DC comics fan, and someone who can enjoy or not enjoy the films from one to the next, the conversation online is utter poison. 

Who are these people that have taken over the discourse of what these films should be? It’s like they’ve infiltrated a culture and actually managed to cause so much animosity that the studio has responded. Truth be told in the end it’s done them no favours.  Like Star Wars, responding to this toxic social media cult has resulted in a real identity issue for DC - there’s no doubt about it. 

Yet it is those ‘fans’ who are up in arms right now about this film that have actually caused all of it.  It is those fans that feed into the media publishing articles of what they’re saying that the mainstream then read. All written for clicks. 
Discourse whether cult driven or hate driven from an angry internet can become a mainstream narrative very quickly for the chase for money from clicks. 

Fan culture has basically been infiltrated and monetised now - and depending on the property, it can outright destroy it. 

Why on earth WB want to even reboot the whole thing and all of the inevitable backlash that will receive in the coming years I’ve no idea.  

Just do one film at a time. Don’t connect them up.  It’s not worth the drama.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The GOAT said:

I've seen 3 cape movies (Flash, GOTG 3, SpiderVerse) at my local AMC in the span of 2 month. 

And I can honestly say that the Flash is the best one out of the crop. 

You like it most, that's great. Is it the best though? Based on all the info we have, and the closest we can get to moving past individual opinions, The Flash is clearly the "least best" of the three

I'm also just one person with an opinion, but I've found the Flash worse and more frustrating as time goes on haha. I wasn't the biggest Snyder fan, but he had a vision, a plan, and more visual flair than most hollywood directors put together. He did 300 on a budget of 65m and I am wondering why WB could not have given him the freedom to build his universe at reduced budgets (maybe 100m per film). Honestly, a Snyder universe running alongside the DCU would have been less confusing than whatever happened to the DCEU 

They should finally ditch larger narrative and unified universe to make standalone movies with different styles, tones, ratings and budgets, like they did with Burton and Nolan Batman films, Phillips' Joker, Donner's Superman, Reeves The Batman. All DC's biggest successes are standalone films, even if some were technically part of the universe like Aquaman and Wonder Woman, but they didn't lean into that. But it's gonna be too late when they realize that if it wasn't obvious at all by this point, I would be surprised if DCU is successful, it looks like uphill battle to me.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 2