Eric S'ennui

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

45 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Also they just greenlit a Disney Jr show featuring Black Ariel so it seems Disney is pleased all things considered and is not sweating.

That show was already in production during the making of the live action remake. They already invested money on it, so it was always gonna come out regardless of the box office results.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Updated Estimates for Weekend + MON

0-Ed-Qub-M-jpg-large.jpg

So Transformers, Flash, GOTG3 and Fast X were the FD winners, while (sadly) ATSV was not, along with (unsurprisingly) Elemental & TLM 

The last time a weekend thread was this happening was when Avatar 2 disappoint during its OW. Seem like people like to talk about box office underperformance. 

I was once thought A2' OW disappointment was a big enough but Flash becoming a Green Lantern of this generation is actually definitely a bigger news for BO. 

4 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

That show was already in production during the making of the live action remake. They already invested money on it, so it was always gonna come out regardless of the box office results.

Yeah. The Disney Plus show of Ariel would exist regardless the movie reception.

It has a poster where we could see Ariel and Flounder, which means that show was already in production for a good amount of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

Why should bigots ever be catered to?

This is the big problem, the fact that these clowns think sexuality and gender are POLITICAL issues when they're not.  It's basic human rights, simple as that.

I mean, human rights are formed and protected by the law and that has very obvious connection to politics. It is a political opinion and takes political power to want/be able to strip certain groups/communities of people off their rights or to simply hold power and privileges over them - a bigoted political opinion, but still. It is political to be turned off by black-led films. The thing is, inclusivity and representation in Hollywood aren't exactly political. Disney understands how much profit they can make off black audiences by having a black actress as their live action Ariel. They also know that decision can get white liberals/Democrat voters/left-leaning people AND other racialized communities to get interested in such film.

Big Hollywood studios want money and diversity makes money; and the audience interest drive can be political. And that goes beyond film; ever wonder who made Hamilton huge?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Netflix is now profitable so I doubt they care about theaters.

They are but how do they grow? How do they retain their subscribers whilst continuing to increase prices? They’re in a really precarious position and the obvious answer is to try and make money from other revenue streams.  The money left on the table is mind boggling.  

I think it’s inevitable but maybe they want to hold off until many of their other rivals throw in the towel or get bought out. Your Peacocks and Paramounts - their days are numbered. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

I mean, human rights are formed and protected by the law and that has very obvious connection to politics. It is a political opinion and takes political power to want/be able to strip certain groups/communities of people off their rights or to simply hold power and privileges over them - a bigoted political opinion, but still. It is political to be turned off by black-led films. The thing is, inclusivity and representation in Hollywood aren't exactly political. Disney understands how much profit they can make off black audiences by having a black actress as their live action Ariel. They also know that decision can get white liberals/Democrat voters/left-leaning people AND other racialized communities to get interested in such film.

Big Hollywood studios want money and diversity makes money; and the audience interest drive can be political. And that goes beyond film; ever wonder who made Hamilton huge?

If it’s good business instead of altruism or politically motivated, then what’s the issue? Should I be cynical or blasé because film studios are reaching out for wider audiences? Should we reject that because evil studios are being more inclusive for money?

And I’m sorry but no. Allowing bigoted political opinions is always a no, we’re approaching explaining the basics like Karl Popper’s Paradox of Tolerance here.

11 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

If it’s good business instead of altruism or politically motivated, then what’s the issue? Should I be cynical or blasé because film studios are reaching out for wider audiences? Should we reject that because evil studios are being more inclusive for money?

And I’m sorry but no. Allowing bigoted political opinions is always a no, we’re approaching explaining the basics like Karl Popper’s Paradox of Tolerance here.

I don't want to be misinterpreted, I personally don't even tolerate Democrat/liberal politics, as I don't see them as left enough. And I'm not really intersted in critiquing whatever efforts Disney makes in reaching a wider audience. If I want to critique Disney's business decisions, there's FAR MORE to get into and there's a lot of room for discussion on Disney's actual politics or even how they integrate and interract with politics when adveritising their films (just look at any Disney film that they claimed to have queer representation).

Just wanted to point out that "humans rights are not a political issue" is not entirely correct and that just because it isn't, that doesn't mean inclusivity in film is political.

Edited by toutvabien

34 minutes ago, M37 said:

So Transformers, Flash, GOTG3 and Fast X were the FD winners, while (sadly) ATSV was not, along with (unsurprisingly) Elemental & TLM 

Is it plausible they didn't update yet. Disney takes it's time for actual estimates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

Also they just greenlit a Disney Jr show featuring Black Ariel so it seems Disney is pleased all things considered and is not sweating.

Exactly.

Pre-production or not, Disney announced the spin-off in the middle of the film's run. If the film had crashed and burned, they wouldn't have given it a spin-off. When in the history of ever has any studio announced an animated spin-off to a movie that's flopped?

Disney isn't a charity and contrary to the "get woke, go broke" crowd think, they don't just throw money at stuff because they can. If something isn't going to generate money for them, they don't do it.

38 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Between that and all the interviews Halle did leading up to its release, you can tell everyone involved were hoping this movie would be another Black Panther-level phenomenon that would reshape Ariel for a new generation akin to Nick Fury. From what we're seeing, it unfortunately isn't. So yes, I do consider it very fair to call it a box office disappointment. I myself expected it to make a lot more domestically than it has been making so far.

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

I think the issue with low to mid budget movies is maybe the post-theatrical market? Like, if you make a movie that costs $20m (Movie A), and it earns $100m at the worldwide box office, it then turned around a $30m profit theatrically. But let's say this movie will perform on the post-theatrical market at the same proportion, it means it will have 5 times less viewers on TV and streaming than a blockbuster that earned $500m at the global box office (Movie B). In case Movie B cost $225m to make, it then earned just $25m in profit theatrically, which is less than Movie A. But if both movies perform proportionally on the home video market, Movie B will be having 5 times as many viewers than Movie A on all forms of home video. And studios will forever be licensing their catalogue to TV and streaming services, and will also be selling discs and digital rentals, so it's decades of Movie B earning 5 times more than Movie A. I think that explains why Hollywood studios have been so focused on big budget franchises. Not to mention movie theaters will also prefer studios make an expensive movie that flops with $500m at the box office than a profitable small movie that earns $100m, because they also have more people in their theaters not only buying tickets but also foods and beverages.

10 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I am confused according to the mod disney is doing good or bad debate cant happen but this thread is like 70% that lol 

Maybe it’s time to move on from that debate. Or, more accurately, take it to the Disney Thread or the Politics Thread —-

LMFAO. I was about to say it’s off-topic, because there isn’t a Disney release this weekend 😂😂😂. Oops. NeverMind there. 

Anyway; bottom line. Let’s move on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1