Eric Furiosa

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

The Flash sits at 87% Verified Score with 1K+ votes, this is how compares with other recent CBMs

Movie

Verified % at 1k

Current Verified

CinemaScore

Eternals

86%

77% (10K votes)

B

The Batman

93%

87% (10k votes)

A-

Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness

89%

85% (10k votes)

B+

Thor Love & Thunder

85%

77% (10k votes)

B+

Black Panther Wakanda Forever

94%

94% (10k votes)

A

Ant Man & The Wasp Quantum

84%

83% (10k votes)

B

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 3

96%

94% (10k votes)

A

SM Across The Spiderverse

97%

95% (10k votes)

A

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't say original animated is DOA but i would say original animated right now does not warrant anything over $120M budget.  I'm not sure how Pixar is able to chop their budgets to that amount as they have not really had a movie that low in cost in over 15 years.  If Pixar can't reign in their budgets than we could see them spit out more sequels to cover the originals.  

Obviously not every original would be a loss but if they are consistently having around $500M breakeven on every movie than I would assume most will be.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Original animated movies are not DOA. lol. 
People would always show up for an original Disney and Pixar film to huge numbers. They still would have if Disney+ didn’t exist to derail half of them. 

Absolutely nothing to do with a lack of interest in new animated films whatsoever. 

I still want to wait to see how Wish and Migration perform before declaring death but it’s in trouble.

• Like 1

Elemental is fucked. 30M seems like best case scenario. Bob Iger fuming right now.

Best superhero movie of all time also on track to MEGA BOMB.

7 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Oh okay. How could they be that off.

maybe there were working under the expectation that an 80 on mc was going to materialize 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

What have been the highest opening weekends for original animation since COVID?

There's a very small sample of original animated movies after COVID:
From highest to lowest OWs
Encanto - $27.05m (40M  5 day)
The Bad Guys - $23.95m
Raya and the Last Dragon - $8.5M (no Cinemark on OW, plus Premiere Access)
Ron's Gone Wrong - $7.3M
Paws of Fury - $6.32M

Edited by Grebacio
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, YM! said:

I still want to wait to see how Wish and Migration perform before declaring death but it’s in trouble.

The Bad Guys was the blueprint for the future of original animation. It cost $70m. If it was Disney it would cost $200m and be considered a BO disaster. 

That Ruby Octopus movie looks like it’s shaping up to be a failure. I guarantee Universal won’t lose as much money as Disney will with these Pixar flicks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

Like I chalk up a lot of different factors why Elemental is failing: the Disney+ factor training audiences to wait especially for Pixar, original IP being a harder sell now, mid reviews for a Pixar movie being the death knell, not appealing enough to the GA and pretty bad marketing (Unlike Lightyear and Strange World this had presence but it wasn’t good enough to get butts into seats), but it’s up to those two films. Elio had a decent teaser as it’s somewhat reminiscent to classic Pixar adventure but I think they should consider moving it because Pixar originals aren’t threats anymore. 

Wish is a traditional big Disney musical with an aesthetic blending Disney’s usual style with the popular SpiderVerse aesthetic. I still think if it has strong reviews it’ll do okay but with Disney family stuff underperforming and Trolls 3 just five days before it, it has a very uphill battle. 

Migration has the Illumination brand and looks like dumb family fun and doesn’t need to be good to succeed just entertaining. Though with Wonka and Aquaman being prime choices, is that enough for it to live.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

The Bad Guys was the blueprint for the future of original animation. It cost $70m. If it was Disney it would cost $200m and be considered a BO disaster. 

That Ruby Octopus movie looks like it’s shaping up to be a failure. I guarantee Universal won’t lose as much money as Disney will with these Pixar flicks.

Actually more in the ballpark of 90m but I think Pixar and Disney needs to find a way to keep budgets down for their originals at least for the time being. DWA are based in Glendale and tend to bat at 90-135m a piece, and the only way for Pixar to get there is to cut pay, use cheaper software and jobs unfortunately.