Eric Furiosa

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

14 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

What have been the highest opening weekends for original animation since COVID?

Bad Guys and Super Pets below $25M (and $100M dom total) and you could argue the latter wasn’t original given DC connection. Elemental probably tops that mark. EDIT: forgot about Encanto, $27M on holiday weekend, and another just below $100M finish 

Then it’s Toy Story spin-off Lightyear, and the Illumination juggernauts Minions & Mario, plus leggy Puss in Boots 

Edited by M37

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Superhero Fatigue is impacting any CBM that isn't something incredible.

If it's mid it's flopping.

Yes. So far only cbms with exceptional reception like GotG3 and Across The Spiderverse are doing well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

There's a very small sample of original animated movies after COVID:
From highest to lowest OWs
Encanto - $27.05m (40M  5 day)
The Bad Guys - $23.95m
Raya and the Last Dragon - $8.5M (no Cinemark on OW, plus Premiere Access)
Ron's Gone Wrong - $7.3M
Paws of Fury - $6.32M

i forgive you for forgetting because nobody remembers this movie exists but Strange World would be #3

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The solve is gonna be forcing Pixar to make animated Marvel movies. Iger will probably get the idea himself looking at Spiderverse and elemental back-to-back.

I just fucking know Gunn already has meetings planned with the newly-formed WB Animation Group to make some DC stuff in his universe, like the fact that he already has a video game in development for his new universe before any of the films have even gone into production lmao

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

The solve is gonna be forcing Pixar to make animated Marvel movies. Iger will probably get the idea himself looking at Spiderverse and elemental back-to-back.

This reminds me how we never got a sequel to Big Hero 6 considering Wreck-It Ralph got one (and a Zootopia 2 is in development). Though if Incredibles could end up waiting nearly 15 years to produce a sequel and seem like an event instead of untimely so could this I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

This reminds me how we never got a sequel to Big Hero 6 considering Wreck-It Ralph got one (and a Zootopia 2 is in development). Though if Incredibles could end up waiting nearly 15 years to produce a sequel and seem like an event instead of untimely so could this I guess.

Same with Tangled, though both it and BH6 got their own TV show instead.

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

Bad Guys and Super Pets below $25M (and $100M dom total) and you could argue the latter wasn’t original given DC connection. Elemental probably tops that mark  

Then it’s Toy Story spin-off Lightyear, and the Illumination juggernauts Minions & Mario, plus leggy Puss in Boots 

Lets not forget: Puss in Boots made less than the original, but also cost less than the original.

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Thanks Deadline's for that $3.5m estimate for Elemental. You have destroyed my derby this week.

David Tennant Thank You GIF by Doctor Who

Trusting Deadline over tracking thread? 

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

This long weekend thread could be one of the most depressing thread recently because it is a sharp contrast to what just happened 8 years ago. JW exploded to one of the biggest 2nd weekend and come above 100m whereas IO, an original animation opened to near $100m. And original crime comedy Spy came almost unscratched with drop just 28% at number 3 

1 1 Jurassic World $106,588,440 -49% 4,291 +17 $24,840 $402,800,065 2 Universal Pictures
2 - Inside Out $90,440,272 - 3,946 - $22,919 $90,440,272 1 Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
3 2 Spy $11,225,366 -28.1% 3,558 -157 $3,154 $75,099,815 3 Twentieth Century Fox

Fast forward to today, we now have an DC live action + Pixar animation disappointment combo. Both movies combined will struggle to top just one single movie in the same weekend of 2015. This is the reality of BO today that it just how scarce the positive BO news, and total absence of sleeper or surprise hit.   

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What's the next movie to open over 100m?

Marvels, then Spiderverse, then Deadpool 

Reasonable chance that the next after that is cap

Edited by Into the Legion-Verse
  • Like 3