YM!

Weekday Thread | TUE - Flash $5.28M, Elementals $5.0M, Spidey $4.7M, Transformer $2.8M, TLM $2.2M

13 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I will defend Love and Thunder with my dying breath. My favorite Thor film, edging out Ragnarok.

Ragnarok is one of my favorites. Thor, TDW and LAT are all bottom tier imo. But TDW is at the absolute bottom.

Edit: my personal MCU hot take is that I really really like Multiverse of Madness and that I think it's WAY better than the first Doctor Strange.

Edited by toutvabien
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Favorite Thor films:

1. Love and Thunder

2. Ragnarok (it’s close, but I really love how they took a serious subject on L&T and made a comedy with it. For me, it worked and it was beautiful and hit very close to home)

3. Thor

4. The Dark World

I was also never a hater of TDW either. Could use at least two more Hemsworth trilogies as Thor too, I kinda see him as this generation’s Arnold. Comedy kinda made me care about Thor more, also his whole arc through these films made me care about him, as much as Cap if not more. He and Iron Man were two of my least liked Marvel characters before the MCU.

The catch-22 of CM is that her arc is basically that she's been mind wiped and she's discovering who she really is, but because the script wants her to be charming and likable the whole film and have this fun buddy cop thing with Fury (which is one of the movie's best elements), we never really even see her try to be the emotionless warrior the Kree want her to be, so that arc is undermined and keeps the movie from greatness. Of course, that's lightyears better than Quantumania where Scott has no arc or MoM where Dr. Strange's big life lesson is deciding not to kill a teenager to steal her powers (?!).

• Like 4

Insert the Wake up Babe meme here. First instance of seeing someone notable on American RW twitter asking to boycott Barbie. I used to think that this dude was a parody account for a long time, surprised that this isn't a parody account. Some of the things this dude tweets are worse than parody account lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 3

1 minute ago, ZeroHour said:

The catch-22 of CM is that her arc is basically that she's been mind wiped and she's discovering who she really is, but because the script wants her to be charming and likable the whole film and have this fun buddy cop thing with Fury (which is one of the movie's best elements), we never really even see her try to be the emotionless warrior the Kree want her to be, so that arc is undermined and keeps the movie from greatness. Of course, that's lightyears better than Quantumania where Scott has no arc or MoM where Dr. Strange's big life lesson is deciding not to kill a teenager to steal her powers (?!).

The thing is that I don’t think Carol was ever emotionless. In fact her biggest issue with the Kree way is that she never was able to be emotionless. In fact I was surprised how I felt Carol a lot more sassy and funny than I remembered watching it the first time around. I feel like a lot of the arguments against the Captain Marvel film don’t hold water once you are separated of the whole discourse that was going once it was released.

Also when she went Binary was such a bad ass moment, yes it’s pure girl power but also insanely comic booky, truly need more of that on the MCU’s future. Love, love, love how the Supreme Intelligence’s treatment of the Skrulls is both a metaphor to Muslims and at same time taking swings at Trump. The joke of Supreme Intelligence saying that they will finally be able to keep the Skrulls out of their borders landed a lot more stronger this time around too.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of Spider-Verse 2, it was discovered today on Twitter that apparently there are two different cuts of it floating around, with a bunch of lines and jokes being different between them:

The post itself and its replies are a very interesting read. And according to one of them, even Elemental has different cuts which have different expressions for the fire lady character in a particular scene:

• Astonished 3

21 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Captain Marvel is one of those movies I liked in the theatre and have never thought about it past that. 

Sums up my experience exactly. Never had anything against the movie, just never really thought about it again...

Still, between the general narrative against the first movie (not saying I agree with it but its there), a dip in MCU interest from peak, and the lack of avengers movies to prop it up, I think the Marvels has an uphill battle. With Black Panther 2 at 860m, I'm preparing myself to be excited about a 600m+ gross, I just don't know how much GA interest is there (I honestly think AM2 with its whole VFX underwater thing has more GA appeal despite DC's mid to bad reputation)

Just now, Justin4125 said:

Sums up my experience exactly. Never had anything against the movie, just never really thought about it again...

Still, between the general narrative against the first movie (not saying I agree with it but its there), a dip in MCU interest from peak, and the lack of avengers movies to prop it up, I think the Marvels has an uphill battle. With Black Panther 2 at 860m, I'm preparing myself to be excited about a 600m+ gross, I just don't know how much GA interest is there (I honestly think AM2 with its whole VFX underwater thing has more GA appeal despite DC's mid to bad reputation)

Wakanda Forever didn’t had Chadwick. Also, it’s not a film that inspires rewatches because it’s somber and it’s a downer, like it should. If Chadwick was alive, it would have blown up. There was no other way to make Wakanda Forever, and no recasting would never be the best option. The ending brings hope, yes, but it’s about the future, but it’s still very sad. 

I actually think Marvels is being underestimated. Captain Marvel is no Ant-Man, the director for Marvels I believe it’s stronger than the first Captain Marvel and it will be arguably the first team up of three Marvel superheroines. I really think that gauging Marvel Studios interest via its least interesting character (Ant-Man) and not getting that Wakanda Forever’s whole vibe was never suppose to make the world on fire regardless how successful it was is a  wrong BOT take. Marvels could break out, and break out big. Captain Marvel’s online fandom is nothing to sneeze at, and the holiday date combined with what looks clearly like an way more upbeat MCU film isn’t a combination we have seen before during the holidays.

• Like 1

TLT - only MCU movie I can't stand.

Eternals - utterly forgettable

QM - most cooperate soulless MCU has made.kang is great but this movie is so derivative it's embarrassing but still don't hate it it's watchable

Rest I can watch easily despite even if some are heavily  flawed .

CM is the most mid MCU film . Nothing stands out  but nothing bad either. All is fine enough and the third act just falls so flat.

Carol does fine but the amnesia plot just severely undercuts  her character.

36 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Wakanda Forever didn’t had Chadwick. Also, it’s not a film that inspires rewatches because it’s somber and it’s a downer, like it should. If Chadwick was alive, it would have blown up. There was no other way to make Wakanda Forever, and no recasting would never be the best option. The ending brings hope, yes, but it’s about the future, but it’s still very sad. 

I actually think Marvels is being underestimated. Captain Marvel is no Ant-Man, the director for Marvels I believe it’s stronger than the first Captain Marvel and it will be arguably the first team up of three Marvel superheroines. I really think that gauging Marvel Studios interest via its least interesting character (Ant-Man) and not getting that Wakanda Forever’s whole vibe was never suppose to make the world on fire regardless how successful it was is a  wrong BOT take. Marvels could break out, and break out big. Captain Marvel’s online fandom is nothing to sneeze at, and the holiday date combined with what looks clearly like an way more upbeat MCU film isn’t a combination we have seen before during the holidays.

Wakanda Forever had Wakanda and T'Challa tribute factor. Captain Marvel is actually just another character like Ant-Man, Flash or Shazam for most of the GA, as they believe Spider-Man, Captain America, Doctor Strange, Thor, and Wanda are the big characters of the MCU; they don't consider CM a big character. Also, Ant-Man 3 had Kang, the big bad of this Saga. There is nothing going in for The Marvels that makes people excited. Who she's? They don't know. What is her status in the MCU? They don't know. Marvel Studios is not giving GA any big reason to watch this movie. I think The Marvels could be the third-biggest CBM bomb of this year after Shazam and The Flash.

7 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Their ass, pretty sure Flash didn't do 20mil Mon-Wed

It'd actually be 16.5 million overseas if it reached 160 million worldwide, compared to 14 million domestic.

Edited by 21C
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Willowra said:

Wakanda Forever had Wakanda and T'Challa tribute factor. Captain Marvel is actually just another character like Ant-Man, Flash or Shazam for most of the GA, as they believe Spider-Man, Captain America, Doctor Strange, Thor, and Wanda are the big characters of the MCU; they don't consider CM a big character. Also, Ant-Man 3 had Kang, the big bad of this Saga. There is nothing going in for The Marvels that makes people excited. Who she's? They don't know. What is her status in the MCU? They don't know. Marvel Studios is not giving GA any big reason to watch this movie. I think The Marvels could be the third-biggest CBM bomb of this year after Shazam and The Flash.

I strongly disagree with this. Captain Marvel is far more popular than either Ant-Man, Flash or Shazam and I am confident that people will have no other option but accept that by the end of the year. Ant-Man simply was never the biggest of the MCU characters, regardless if it featured the big bad. I firmly believe that Ant-Man as a character always had a ceiling, unlike Captain Marvel that I believe has potential to have future sequels and could even potentially lead the Avengers. Captain Marvel made to $1B, and I feel like a lot of the mental gymnastics to underplay this don’t really hold water. 

You will be proven wrong. And I will be here to point that out.

the annoying thing for me is that the convo around captain marvel is so aggressive you almost don't want to say it's not good because then you have to agree with asshats

but yeah it's not very good. it has serious pacing issues in the first act, weird subplots and a poor villain.

brie is good in it though, her banter with jackson (plus the cat) are the best parts of the film.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 21C said:

It'd actually be 16.5 million overseas if it reached 160 million worldwide, compared to 14 million domestic.

17.3 based off the numbers and that's with discount tuesdays and Monday being a holiday domestically.