CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah 160 would  be what NTTD made domestically. This will have summer weekdays at least and has a head start over that already. 

Gosh NTTD really did so bad in the US compared to EU… probably it felt outdated because of all the delays and there was just no hype.

• Like 2

FWIW

Avengers

Argo

Silver linings playbook

Breaking Dawn Part 2 (my second favorite in the series after eclipse)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Gosh NTTD really did so bad in the US compared to EU… probably it felt outdated because of all the delays and there was just no hype.

not a good sign for the future of action/spy  movies when they are doing shit business domestically. 

Edited by John Marston

23 minutes ago, TMP said:

#BlueBeetleBattalion 

Their commitment in promoting the movie themselves when WB wouldn't is cute, maybe they should take a note from the QAnon and start buying multiple tickets "for other people"

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

not a good sign for the future of action/spy  movies when they are doing shut business domestically 

I think spy movies are due for a renaissance. They should mostly have moderate budgets anyway.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

not a good sign for the future of action/spy  movies when they are doing shut business domestically 

it didn’t help that it was just a bad film. Appetite for bond will always be there if the quality and marketing feed it.

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

it didn’t help that it was just a bad film. Appetite for bond will always be there if the quality and marketing feed it.

it wasn’t though??

and even if it was something like Thor Love and Thunder still got to 300 million domestic. It just shows younger audiences don’t care for these types of  movies 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Their commitment in promoting the movie themselves when WB wouldn't is cute, maybe they should take a note from the QAnon and start buying multiple tickets "for other people"

Pay-it-forward tickets and tax write-offs - the future of the movies!

18 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

2012 was an embarrassment of riches, an incredibly deep and diverse list of bangers 

Avengers

Skyfall

Lincoln

Django

21 Jump Street

Argo

Magic Mike

Zero Dark Thirty

Jack Reacher

Looper

ParaNorman

The Grey

Sinister

Moonrise Kingdom

Cabin in the Woods

Cloud Atlas

The Master

The Raid

Dredd

Always nice to see some love to Cabin In the Woods, we need mister Drew Goddard to drop another banger 

It’s been 5 years since Bad Times At The El Royale

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I think spy movies are due for a renaissance. They should mostly have moderate budgets anyway.

How do you make a "spy movie" with moderate budgets though? When you say "moderate budget" I think under $100m, and a staple of "spy movies" is filming on location. Just not casting Tom Cruise isn’t good enough, how do you make a short budget film with the kind of crazy stunts that come with the genre and lavish locations? In a lot of ways, the "spy movie" genre is soaring, but not at the movie theaters: I never watched Red Notice or The Grey Man but they are two of the most watched films ever on Netflix.

I think what redfirebird said on Barbie’s thread parallels with what I’ve been saying for a good while here, what 2023 taught us isn’t that people want "something new and fresh", neither that "sequels don’t work" or that film twitter finally made fetch happen with "superhero fatigue". It’s brand recognition. It’s not TikTok and memes. It’s audiences favoring characters they love and know: Mario Bros, Guardians, Spider-Man and now Barbie. The same lesson of 2022 when we stop and think about it.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it wasn’t though??

and even if it was something like Thor Love and Thunder still got to 300 million domestic. It just shows younger audiences don’t care for these types of  movies 

In America, it should be said, NTTD was still a huge hit overseas. It’s also another movie that showed the weird variance between DOM and AUS performance, it made 36m here and was by some distance the second biggest movie of 2021. Well ahead of the likes of Shang Chi and Venom and Black Widow that did well domestically that year. 

• Like 3

However, the reviews and audiences exits on Dead Reckoning bury that of Dial of Destiny. In updated Friday night PostTrak exits, Dead Reckoning gets 5 stars and 90% from audiences (Indy only received 4 stars and 79%), with men/women at 62%/38% grading it 90%/89% (Indy‘s grades for both were 74% and 85%). Deal with it, Disney: The ball was dropped quality wise on Dial of Destiny, and the sequel is suffering with critics and fans. We expect more from Lucasfilm, especially on a legacy finale.

WOM is strong, 90% post trak and 5 stars, A cinemascore, 94% RT verified audience score.

Male: Female ratio improve to 62%: 38%.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What was everyone's favorite year for movies since 2010?

Mine was 2018....

1) Infinity War

2) Mission Impossible Fallout

3) Into the Spider-verse 

4) The Incredibles 2

The Farewell 

The Vast Of Night 

US 

Booksmart 

Dolor Y Gloria 

Colectiv 

Bacurau 

John Wick 3 

Rocketman 

The Lighthouse 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 

Parasite 

Toy Story 4 

Midsommar 

Anima 

La Llorona 

Ready Or Not 

Ad Astra 

Marriage Story 

First Cow 

Uncut Gems 

Joker 

The Personal History Of David Copperfield 

Knives Out 

Saint Maud 

Jojo Rabbit 

Doctor Sleep 

Klaus 

Queen & Slim 

Little Women 

We was eating SO GOOD before the pandemic, i want that back

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think Gran Turismo can surprise, the reactions for it was shockingly quite strong

I agree, though depends on what would qualify as a surprise here. Feel good, based on a true story film, plus having racing action worthy of big screen. And won’t have been much for younger guys/action in a while when it comes out, like a mini Fast & Furious  

I’m probably in on it (unless reviews are bad)

• Like 1