kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers | Jul 17 - 20 | Wednesday | 4.74M M:I - DEAD RECKONING I | 4.72M SOUND OF FREEDOM

Just looking around some local theatres, and every Barbieheimer theatre is just packed. Remaining sits are random singles or accessibility seating.

I wonder if this is one of the rare time when we'll see spillover business. Despite all the hype, I'm guessing lots of people are likely to assume they can get tickets day of, because for the last few years, it's generally been the case.

With a lot of decent film options in theatres, I could see people just picking another option.

43 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Despite all the hype, I'm guessing lots of people are likely to assume they can get tickets day of, because for the last few years, it's generally been the case.

Yep. I'm seeing people say "We wanted to go late today/tomorrow/Sunday and it's all sold out."

Regal keeps putting me in a waiting room when I want to check seats for Barbie.

On 7/20/2023 at 5:38 AM, wildphantom said:

War for the Planet of the Apes is actually a really good comparison for MI7.  Certainly in how good the film was and the success of its immediate predecessor. 

For me, it was the worst apes film.of the trilogy. Overly long, drab, dour, boring, derivative and self serious almost to the point of parody.

I felt similarly about the batman tbh.

• Like 1

Astonishingly bad for MI. I have no words. Under 20M 2nd weekend. I have said this since Indy bombed in Cannes, Paramount should have anticipated MI one week. PLFs are essencial for these types of movies.

8 hours ago, baumer said:

@emoviefan that Puerto Rico joke is very old, I had no idea you've been here this long 😊

No problem.=)I have been a lurker around here for awhile and been following Box office for a long time. I remember the trades reporting about Par's funny math with Transformers AOE back in 2014. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Astonishingly bad for MI. I have no words. Under 20M 2nd weekend. I have said this since Indy bombed in Cannes, Paramount should have anticipated MI one week. PLFs are essencial for these types of movies.

I know this is your shitck but if deadline is right about the estimate  of 6.6 there is no way this goes under 20 million this weekend. Saturday should be no less than 9.5 and sunday at least 7, That would be 23.  Not good but the disaster you predicting at all. The problem is they may be too high. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I know this is your shitck but if deadline is right about the estimate  of 6.6 there is no way this goes under 20 million this weekend. Saturday should be no less than 9.5 and sunday at least 7, That would be 23.  Not good but the disaster you predicting at all. The problem is they may be too high. 

Nearly 100% increase from Thursday is a bit much tbh

4 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Probably but still holding out hope. It's not like this is a bad movie with horrible WOM.  Got to be enough people that have not seen it yet that want too and do not want to sit in a crowded Oppenheimer showing.  WOM should count for something. 

4 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

The thing is it had a 75% increase in it's opening Friday and this increase is like 50% from Wed so it's quite possible for it to gross 6.6 mil

20 minutes ago, Immortal said:

The thing is it had a 75% increase in it's opening Friday and this increase is like 50% from Wed so it's quite possible for it to gross 6.6 mil

Early estimates for holdovers are not reliable as their BO is mostly driven by walkups as opposed to presales. RTH already updated to 5.5m which makes better sense. 

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Early estimates for holdovers are not reliable as their BO is mostly driven by walkups as opposed to presales. RTH already updated to 5.5m which makes better sense. 

I read that as guess on his part not any thing he knew for sure or was hearing. 

22 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I read that as guess on his part not any thing he knew for sure or was hearing. 

RTH has access to the data in real time. He projects where he thinks the movies will finish by the end of the night. He's usually pretty dang close, especially on holdover movies. I would think MI7 will end up fairly close to the $5.5M number he reported. 

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

RTH has access to the data in real time. He projects where he thinks the movies will finish by the end of the night. He's usually pretty dang close, especially on holdover movies. I would think MI7 will end up fairly close to the $5.5M number he reported. 

Yeah I know he is pretty good with the numbers and has access to them. I was just picking up that he said he had the numbers at that not has. I;m grasping at straws I know. The way Paramount messed up the release of this movie, Just ugh. 

Just now, emoviefan said:

Yeah I know he is pretty good with the numbers and has access to them. I was just picking up that he said he had the numbers at that not has. I;m grasping at straws I know. The way Paramount messed up the release of this movie, Just ugh. 

It's OK. They're still counting all the profits on Top Gun last year, haha. At least they get a chance to redeem themselves with the next Mission Impossible. Better release date, better marketing campaign. They know what they need to do!  Perhaps extra demand from audience can help as well since it will be Cruise's last movie with this franchise. 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's OK. They're still counting all the profits on Top Gun last year, haha. At least they get a chance to redeem themselves with the next Mission Impossible. Better release date, better marketing campaign. They know what they need to do!  Perhaps extra demand from audience can help as well since it will be Cruise's last movie with this franchise. 

Yep. I hope Brian Robbins ears are ringing from the yelling TC has probably been doing Won't make the same mistakes I bet. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yep. I hope Brian Robbins ears are ringing from the yelling TC has probably been doing Won't make the same mistakes I bet. 

also they didn't release MI for imax, which i mean expanded ratio, it means a lot to the community , they canceled it at last minute , big mistake

On 7/21/2023 at 6:58 AM, Jonwo said:

It's a cost thing, a lot of exhibitors are still recovering from the pandemic but a lot of the digital projectors that were bought back in the late 2000s are showing their age and need to be replaced. Comfort, formats and a good food menus is one thing but I think the priorities needs to be replacing those aging 2K projectors. 

Actually the major cinema chian around the world has realised their 2k is lagging behind of the technology and they are making effort catching up the development. The last major upgrade among exhibitors was 10years+ ago when Avatar make exhibitor abandon film and fully embrace digital 2k projectors but they have to up to the game now. 4K is the future of the cinema. 

Cinépolis, Mexico’s largest cinema company, has announced an initiative to upgrade more than 2,600 screens to laser projection. 

AMC Entertainment is planning its first major upgrade since the transition to digital, announcing a deal with Cinionic to roll out laser projectors to 3,500 of its U.S. auditoriums through 2026.