Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

23 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Maybe it's because Oppenheimer isn't skewing older

Genuinely depressing that if Oppenheimer didn't have any memes attached to it, Gen Z wouldn't care and this would have been lucky to match Dunkirk's opening. It's not like these kinds of movies can rely on release date memes all the time.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't have an answer for this that's why I asked you guys. So there's no wrong answer of course. But keep in mind nobody had heard of sound of freedom a week before it came out maybe even 3 days. I had no marketing no budget no billboards no commercials and yet this movie is all but assured now to hit 200 million.

On the flip side I was one of those guys last year that said making a Barbie movie was one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. I don't know if I ever went public with it but I know I thought to myself that it was going to tank and tank horribly. These numbers for it are just mind-blowing to me. As I said earlier I can't believe 10:20 shows are selling out locally here. Other people have said that they have their 1:00 a.m. shows sold out and even a 4:00 a.m. show sold out it's just incredible what this movie is doing.

I mean Big Fat Greek Wedding came out of no where but isn't Top Gun Maverick cracking the top 5 domestic a bigger story in a world where Disney kid movies dominate the top 10.

31 minutes ago, Travod said:

The ads on this forum remain insufferable :( My phone literally heats up like a furnace browsing this site and it kills the battery. Why do you guys do this

I use AdGuard on Safari and don’t see any ads at all, might be worth a try. 

4 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

Genuinely depressing that if Oppenheimer didn't have any memes attached to it, Gen Z wouldn't care and this would have been lucky to match Dunkirk's opening. It's not like these kinds of movies can rely on release date memes all the time.

Can't wait to see what tiktok trends Scorsese's gonna get into to promote flower moon. maybe he'll do one of those NPC livestreams.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

As someone born in 1997 I debate that it started in 1998

I'm a '97 baby, too. I hate to break it to you, but we're definitely Gen Z. Maybe a bubble in the middle, but we've got a lot of Gen Z in us. 

Related: I have so. many. damn. friends. who haven't been to a movie in YEARS who are going for Barbie (and many for Oppenheimer, too, though that might be because I live in a 70mm city).

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I mean Big Fat Greek Wedding came out of no where but isn't Top Gun Maverick cracking the top 5 domestic a bigger story in a world where Disney kid movies dominate the top 10.

At least people had heard of my big fat Greek wedding. It had commercials it was from a major studio it was being backed by Tom Hanks and his wife. Like I said I'm not making a case more for one movie I'm just saying you can definitely make a case for both of them.

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What the fuck is going on

Go to bed buddy LOL isn't it like 11:30 right now? Did you just get back from the swing set at your local park?

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

His daughter already does tiktoks with him so we got that covered

I loved that she wrapped his dad's Christmas presents in Marvel wrapping paper a few years ago. You know this family has a good sense of humor with one another :lol:

• Like 1

I think it's great that Nolan probably doesn't realize memes are the reason his movie is such a hit. probably just sitting there thinking it's nice the youth have such an interest in that period of history. good for him.

• Haha 2