Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Just now, lab276 said:

Ah yeah fair, that’s not as good. But is it really catastrophic in the face a 220m+ behemoth? 

Doing fine I would say. This movie's only problems were a really bad release date, a bloated budget from COVID, and a questionable marketing campaign. They can fix those issues on the next movie. Much smaller budget, much better release date, and hopefully a better marketing campaign. 

27 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I am utterly dreading the Josstice League-level mess that's going to be now. How much do you wanna bet we get reports of Simon Pegg descending into alcoholism by the end of it all?

Tom Cruise will never let that fly.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:
1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

BARBIE (2023)A     :ohmygod:

Well there it goes, 600m is locked.

I just checked out of curiosity, and the last jedi had an A cinema score too:  (honestly surprised about that.)

https://twitter.com/CinemaScore/status/942037792544251904

There is a reason I bring this up.   Both films had great trailers that hid potentially divisive elements.  (no one was talking about how feminist barbie was until the review embargo lifted).   

I don't think the legs will be as bad a the last jedi (I haven't seen the movie, so I can't can't say for sure), but I don't think this will have staying power normally expected of an A cinema score.  (I noticed projections for 72.5 friday earlier today, then it's down to 70).  That's just my two cents.

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 2

8 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

I just checked out of curiosity, and the last jedi had an A cinema score too:  (honestly surprised about that.)

There is a reason I bring this up.   Both films had great trailers that hid potentially divisive elements.  (no one was talking about how feminist barbie was until the review embargo lifted).   

I don't think the legs will be as bad a the last jedi (I haven't seen the movie, so I can't can't say for sure), but I don't think this will have staying power normally expected of an A cinema score.  (I noticed projections for 72.5 friday earlier today, then it's down to 70).  That's just my two cents.

Uh... this is not gonna be like TLJ lol what

The audience this film was made for, women, are loving this movie. 

13 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

Unlike TLJ, the target audience of Barbie likes the "divisive elements" (whatever that means). That's the difference.

Went to see if I could get tickets to see openheimer tonight. Every single session is at 90%+ with only the worst seats left, especially if I coax my partner to come there are no double seats together. Same for Barbie which has a lot more session times. Crazy busy.

Very big saturday for australia box office.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Uh... this is not gonna be like TLJ lol what

The audience this film was made for, women, are loving this movie. 

We'll see.  You might be right.

All I know is that there is apparently some very heavy messaging in this film that is going to catch people by surprise.  I just can't imagine this type of "bait and switch" is good for a movie's legs.

19 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

Star Wars stans will eat up anything with a lightsaber so of course TLJ got a A. 

1 minute ago, cedec0 said:

We'll see.  You might be right.

All I know is that there is apparently some very heavy messaging in this film that is going to catch people by surprise.  I just can't imagine this type of "bait and switch" is good for a movie's legs.

We just have to see how it plays out for Barbie. Same thing with Oppenheimer. You are absolutely correct that not every "A" Cinemascore leads to great legs. Last Jedi is a pretty good cautionary tale, and not the only one.

At this point if Oppenheimer opens to what we are all thinking it will then I think it’s a way bigger success story for Nolan than Inception was. Probably of his entire career.

From "this is going to be like Detective Pikachu" to "it won't get good reviews" to "audiences won't like it" to "even if audiences like it it won't have good legs"

next we'll be at "even if it had good legs it will flop on streaming" and then "yeah but it had no cultural relevance"

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 16
  • Haha 2

Just now, eddyxx said:

At this point if Oppenheimer opens to what we are all thinking it will then I think it’s a way bigger success story for Nolan than Inception was. Probably of his entire career.

It does feel like the culmination of all his other work so far in a way. So it's great the BO is reflecting that as well. 

• Like 2

Anybody remember when HELLBOY 2 opened a week before DARK KNIGHT? Getting that vibe with DEAD RECKONING a bit. In fairness to Cruise, any of us would've bet on him outgrossing BARBIE at the beginning of summer-- and most of us would've bet on him outgrossing OPPY a week ago.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

Cope.

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

Anybody remember when HELLBOY 2 opened a week before DARK KNIGHT? Getting that vibe with DEAD RECKONING a bit. In fairness to Cruise, any of us would've bet on him outgrossing BARBIE at the beginning of summer-- and most of us would've bet on him outgrossing OPPY a week ago.

I wouldn't have.

54 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I am utterly dreading the Josstice League-level mess that's going to be now. How much do you wanna bet we get reports of Simon Pegg descending into alcoholism by the end of it all?

Is there a Barbie spoiler thread @Eric Bainbridge @Cap ? I want to Laugh about a random line of dialog from the movie that doesn’t have anything to do with the plot but don’t want to get banned lol

34 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Deadline report was very early Friday afternoon. RTH report tonight was about $1 million lower at $5.5 million for Friday compared to Deadline's report of $6.6 million. If the $5.5 million number is accurate, then it looks like a $20 million weekend. That's a drop of around 63%.

And that makes much more sense to me. That 6.6 seemed way too high. That's also going to be a much closer race between mission Impossible and sound of freedom.