Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Really not sure where the 185mil~ prediction for MI7 is coming from when it's losing ground against Indy already. Even with MI7 opening on a Wednesday and having that and Thursday gross baked into the weekend it's already fallen behind Indy's total through both of their second saturdays.

5 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

20.14M SOUND OF FREEDOM

0.266M THEATER CAMP

0.166M PAST LIVES

298.472M weekend so far

biggest weekends ever:

Apr 26 - 28, 2019 / 401.99M
Dec 18 - 20, 2015 / 313.08M
Apr 27 - 29, 2018 / 312.34M

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

20.14M SOUND OF FREEDOM

0.266M THEATER CAMP

0.166M PAST LIVES

298.472M weekend so far

With actuals expected to rise for top 2, will clear $300M comfortably 

1 minute ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Really not sure where the 185mil~ prediction for MI7 is coming from when it's losing ground against Indy already. Even with MI7 opening on a Wednesday and having that and Thursday gross baked into the weekend it's already fallen behind Indy's total through both of their second saturdays.

Hope.

Just pure hope.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ororo Munroe said:

We all may have underestimated Barbie's box office potential but I don't see how it was particularly risky. A popular, attractive female lead who's visually perfect for the role, a legitimate star as the male lead, a director with two critically acclaimed movies under her belt and the advantage of the Barbie name. I'd say WB always saw it as a pretty safe film with potential to turn a profit. 

I think the biggest risk was that I didn't think the self-aware satire stuff would stick. We've seen this stuff with Josie and the Pussycats and the new Dora movie, where you take a property for grade-schoolers, then add in a bunch of satire and tongue-in-cheek aspects that will fly over the kids heads. And all the while, it's hard to make older moviegoers who get the jokes feel self-conscious about seeing something for 6 year old girls. Even Lego Movie was still a PG movie with a lot of silly goofiness in all the trailers. Barbie being a PG-13 made things tougher.

So it opening as big as it is when this kind of thing never really panned out...I'm still not sure how they pulled this off tbh, despite me adoring this movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There's a difference between "this actor draws audience all the time" (eg. Leo) and "this actor draws audience only in a specific role". Margot in Barbie, Emma Watson in BatB and superhero actors are the latter category. What happened here is a perfect blend of actor and role. Amy Shumer wouldn't have this effect.

I agree with this. At same time, I agree with @filmloverthat just like she definitely sold tickets for Suicide Squad and I’d argue that even more so than Wolf of Wall Street that’s her actual break out role where she co-lead that film with Will Smith, this is one of those cases that any other actresses just wouldn’t work, and Schumer directed by Feig would be far far worse. This is the first time she is the actual lead, the face on the poster and the film succeeds. I give a lot of shit to 2016’s Suicide Squad, but Harley and Deadshot are the two saving graces of that film, and the reason I subjected myself to watch it despite the scathing reviews. It didn’t held up a second watch for me, but I feel like it was an obvious breakout success, and putting that on Leto’s Joker or a glorified Batman cameo is so odd to me.

1 minute ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

I think the biggest risk was that I didn't think the self-aware satire stuff would stick. We've seen this stuff with Josie and the Pussycats and the new Dora movie, where you take a property for grade-schoolers, then add in a bunch of satire and tongue-in-cheek aspects that will fly over the kids heads. And all the while, it's hard to make older moviegoers who get the jokes feel self-conscious about seeing something for 6 year old girls. Even Lego Movie was still a PG movie with a lot of silly goofiness in all the trailers. Barbie being a PG-13 made things tougher.

So it opening as big as it is when this kind of thing never really panned out...I'm still not sure how they pulled this off tbh, despite me adoring this movie.

we've cracked the case, Barbie is Deadpool for girls.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

biggest weekends ever:

Apr 26 - 28, 2019 / 401.99M
Dec 18 - 20, 2015 / 313.08M
Apr 27 - 29, 2018 / 312.34M

The number website give a aggregate total of $301,401,457 and that is without Flash's BO reported yet!    

• Thanks 1

The best thing going for Robbie at this point is changing her agent to someone that can get her non-terrible rolls where she can actually flourish. Because i will die on the hill that the Harley Quinn in Suicide squad was terrible but that was entirely on the writer and costume designer. She looked like a Deedee not a harley