Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

For anyone who plays the Summer Movie Wager run by the Filmcast podcast, I looked up some stats.

Only 1.7% of entries had Barbie as number one for the summer. Only 22% of entries had Barbie in the top 5.

I only had it at as 8 myself, so not judging. But just showing how much of a surprise this has been for most people. Truly one of the great box office weekends.

Also, less than 3% had Oppenheimer top 5.

• Like 1

Just now, Grebacio said:

celebration1002.gif

It's really been great so far on here. Especially after the doom and gloom of summer so far, it's been wonderful to have so much activity on the forum due to a success story at the box office, and not another disaster. 

1 minute ago, vafrow said:

For anyone who plays the Summer Movie Wager run by the Filmcast podcast, I looked up some stats.

Only 1.7% of entries had Barbie as number one for the summer. Only 22% of entries had Barbie in the top 5.

I only had it at as 8 myself, so not judging. But just showing how much of a surprise this has been for most people. Truly one of the great box office weekends.

Also, less than 3% had Oppenheimer top 5.

Obviously both movies are performing far better than anyone expected a few months ago, but I think a lot of people simply way over-estimated the likes of Indiana Jones, MI7, etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Capacity limits on Saturday absolutely mean Sunday will have above average holds. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Sunday 10-15% drop for each film. 

Absolutely agree on Oppy, the -15% I penciled in might be underselling it, but think Barbie has a tougher time gettting down that low with how much business is being done after 9pm, difficult to match on a Sunday even with stronger daytime 

• Like 2

Deadline's projections still seem low.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-1235443828/

Saturday AM: Refresh for more analysis and chart…At a time when Hollywood fears that the Q3 and Q4 2023 release schedule will fall apart due to the dual SAG-AFTRA and WGA strikes, the motion picture industry is reaping one of the biggest domestic box office weekends on record with Warner Bros.’ Barbie and Universal’s Oppenheimer lighting up an estimated $308M+ overall three-day. That’s the biggest weekend post pandemic easily burying the weekend when Spider-Man: No Way Home opened over Dec. 17-19, 2021 and all pics tottaled $282.9M. Per Comscore, this weekend will be the fourth biggest of all-time after Avengers: Endgame frame (April 26-28, 2019; $402M), Avengers: Infinity War‘s weekend (April 27-29, 2018; $314.8M) and the weekend when Star Wars: Force Awakens debuted (all pics over Dec. 18-20, 2015 grossing $313.2M).

Barbie has a lot of bragging rights beyond owning a dream house: Warners says $150M+ still for Barbie, but industry calculations believe it’s well over $161M, any way you cut it, it’s the biggest opening weekend of 2023 to date after an opening day of $70.5M. Oppenheimer is eyeing $77M after a $33M opening day — just mindblowing that a 3-hour adult drama could emulate what’s akin to a superhero movie in its first installment. It’s a testament to the fan power of Christopher Nolan, which he accumulated from his Dark Knight days, the 18-34 bunch here still strong at 59%. Both movies get solid A CinemaScores. Note, whatever the industry is calling safely here this morning could payout like a broken slot machine by tonight: Whenever there’s heat on a movie, it just keeps going up and up and up at the box office.

One distrib points out that never before in the history of box office has a weekend seen one movie open to $100M+ and a second to $50M+.

• Like 1

Oppenheimer making $75M+ after the struggles for the adult drama in recent years goes to show that type of movie isn't dead yet, it just takes a little something extra exciting to get folks on board with them. Universal must be thrilled that they managed to secure Nolan and will almost certainly bankroll his next movie now.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Oppenheimer making $75M+ after the struggles for the adult drama in recent years goes to show that type of movie isn't dead yet, it just takes a little something extra exciting to get folks on board with them. Universal must be thrilled that they managed to secure Nolan and will almost certainly bankroll his next movie now.

WB need to find a way to get him back. The people he hated are all gone. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nolan's gotta be happy with the way Universal handled this, and WB is going through some shit right now. I don't see why Nolan would leave Universal.