The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

6 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

From "this is going to be like Detective Pikachu" to "it won't get good reviews" to "audiences won't like it" to "even if audiences like it it won't have good legs"

next we'll be at "even if it had good legs it will flop on streaming" and then "yeah but it had no cultural relevance"

To “it won’t get a best picture nomination”.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Anybody remember when HELLBOY 2 opened a week before DARK KNIGHT? Getting that vibe with DEAD RECKONING a bit. In fairness to Cruise, any of us would've bet on him outgrossing BARBIE at the beginning of summer-- and most of us would've bet on him outgrossing OPPY a week ago.

I really doubt it was Cruise's idea to go after Nolan's IMAX screens when the Nolan release date was already setup. Hell, Cruise did a very high profile special trip to a Tenet show in IMAX during the Pandemic. Someone at Paramount screwed this up, and maybe they'll get fired as a result. I don't get why they didn't go with August or September on the release date. At one point they were planning September 2022. Seems like September 2023 would have been a good spot.  

• Like 2

Thinking about the DR2, next summer looks pretty dead to me honestly. Is the current week before July 4 that bad? It's also the week before Minions, but maybe they should release it on the same day? Minion Impossible as next year's Barbenheimer lol

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Thinking about the DR2, next summer looks pretty dead to me honestly. Is the current week before July 4 that bad? It's also the week before Minions, but maybe they should release it on the same day? Minion Impossible as next year's Barbenheimer lol

The Gentleminions return in full force and are suddenly also Cruiseheads.

• Thanks 1

Females are 50% of the world population, so if Barbie is becoming must watch for them it will quickly turn into a cultural phenomenon with many women dragging their boyfriends and husbands to see that movie.

Hollywood is constantly chasing for that female audience, often failing so it's always cool to actually see another female powered blockbuster emerge like Barbie.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

32 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

From "this is going to be like Detective Pikachu" to "it won't get good reviews" to "audiences won't like it" to "even if audiences like it it won't have good legs"

next we'll be at "even if it had good legs it will flop on streaming" and then "yeah but it had no cultural relevance"

Preach!. It never stops. 🤣

25 minutes ago, lab276 said:

I think they should try another Ghost Protocol and release over Christmas and rule that holiday corridor.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think they should try another Ghost Protocol and release over Christmas and rule that holiday corridor.

Paramount already has Sonic 3 in that spot which they are clearly banking on hard.

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Is it available? Disney seems to have Christmas on lockdown these days. 

It's Thunderbolts, easy enough as competition. Not like even Star Wars was a big deterrent over Christmas once TLJ started to be taken down by Jumanji. It's all about having a movie good enough to attract audiences. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Yep, it’s called moving the goalposts to suit their needs. 

Fact is, with an A cinemascore, 4.5 on PostTrak, 90% with critics, 81 metacritic, cultural phenomenon with audiences literally dressing up and the biggest opening of the year.

Barbie could stop playing tomorrow and be a huge success. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's Thunderbolts, easy enough as competition. Not like even Star Wars was a big deterrent over Christmas once TLJ started to be taken down by Jumanji. It's all about having a movie good enough to attract audiences. 

True. Ghost Protocol at Christmas was great, especially because that movie had some incredible IMAX footage on the skyscraper in Dubai. Do something similar with that release date and it could be pretty cool. 

Would love to see Barbie go over 170 but could be tough with burned demand, capacity space and lower ticket prices, etc. Happy for 160s. Would be a top WB opener and highest opener for a female director. And if it finishes over 477m, it'll be the highest domestic film directed by a woman. And if it somehow goes over 534m, it'll be WB's highest domestic grosser

Still, what a massive achievement regardless

• ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Is it available? Disney seems to have Christmas on lockdown these days. 

Yeah Thunderbolts is there right now, but I don't know if Paramount is willing to give up Sonic 3's current date cause that's still scheduled for Christmas.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Is there a Barbie spoiler thread @Eric Bainbridge @Cap ? I want to Laugh about a random line of dialog from the movie that doesn’t have anything to do with the plot but don’t want to get banned lol

I made both.

Trying something different.  We are putting the Review That Movie thread in the Main Forum, for folks to leave their spoiler thoughts and full reviews.  I will move it back next weekend to the RTM subforum.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Sure, the quality helps, but the major sticking point will be screen allocation, especially PLF. We are seeing what is happening with DR1 because the two movies it's come up against are not only fantastically reviewed and massive hits, but took all its PLF screens too. Disney can and most likely will be quite demanding in terms of screen exclusivity for an MCU movie. Sonic will do well in 3D, and it won't be the same audience as Thunderbolts, so they can both play well, whereas MI will be looking for non 3D large screens, which would be problematic. And after DR1's performance, I don't think Disney will blink and move even one of their "lesser" entries. But it does depend on the strikes as well. Ae will still see a ton of re-scheduling in the coming weeks and months.

3 hours ago, 21C said:

Should we reconsider lowballing and doomsaying The Marvels so much? Look, I'm not saying that it's a slamdunk for success or another billion but it's kinda obvious that women really crave more female-centric franchises and that maybe that was more of a factor on the success of the first Captain Marvel than people gave it credit for. 

Captain Marvel's audience was like 60% male though? It didn't really have greater than normal appeal for women so this argument doesn't make sense.

10 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Captain Marvel's audience was like 60% male though? It didn't really have greater than normal appeal for women so this argument doesn't make sense.

It was 57% male, which is around the same as most MCU fare albeit skewing a little lower then usual (the lowest being the first GOTG, which was 55% male).