upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Opp’s weekdays are great too, but interesting it’s not keeping the 50% pace it had with Barbie on OW so far. I wonder what the percentage of total DOM will look like… if Opp hits 300, can we expect at least 650 or so from Barbie?

I think that was to be expected. Many people have time to see a 2 Hour film on a weekday, but a 3 Hour one? Id assume that Oppenheimer will be more weekend-heavy than Barbie.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Oh, actual managers that haven't watched it praising it? That changes my mind. The fact that it skims the surface of what football actually is doesn't mean it offers any fucking insight. It's the equivalent of a school production but with less talent and no coherent vision.

Absolute piss of the worst kind, truly one of the most terrible abominations to plague TV screens ever. It came out at a perfect time for it, when people felt vulnerable and decided schmaltzy, terribly written shit is ok because it fulfills the need for comfort. It will go down in the annals of TV history as one of those "wtf were people on, thinking this was good?"

fe1ccf7134dabe24c1aec51194ee77b4c0e213a3

• Like 1

It gives more insight than actual documantary would do. So many aspects of the league covered nicely, great writing. Not surprising given the research and the access they got from the league. Great cast and characters. Season 1 is only a little flavour, it gets so much better. I hope they do another season and they do a team movie night watching BARBIE haha

• Like 1

With $24M and $10.5M, that would be -8% and -17% from Monday for new domestic grosses of $212.1M and $105.6M ($317.7M for Barbenheimer). Not bad for two films people were unsure of hitting $150M total just six months ago.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Opp’s weekdays are great too, but interesting it’s not keeping the 50% pace it had with Barbie on OW so far. I wonder what the percentage of total DOM will look like… if Opp hits 300, can we expect at least 650 or so from Barbie?

17% drop on Tuesday would be pretty rough for Oppy, though it would look better if the Sunday & Monday drops were more normal instead of overperforming as it did. Charlie posted on Twitter that he thinks Oppy might finish around $250M. With that Tuesday number, I can definitely see where he’s coming from. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Titanic > Avatar IMO

Titanic was #1 for 77 days in a row, that fact just boggles my mind. It's highest grossing day was on day FIFTY-EIGHT. It doubled the previous worldwide record and in a world when no movie had ever hit a billion it almost skipped straight to 2 billion in one go. It had something like nearly double Avatar and Endgame's admissions domestically, which relied on PLFs to bump up their gross. Adjusted for inflation its first ten weekend all grossed $40m. The list goes on and on...

What would Titanic worldwide box office be adjusted for inflation?   Obviously that would take quite a bit of work to figure out with each country and their exchange rates I suppose.. 

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

17% drop on Tuesday would be pretty rough for Oppy, though it would look better if the Sunday & Monday drops were more normal instead of overperforming as it did. Charlie posted on Twitter that he thinks Oppy might finish around $250M. With that Tuesday number, I can definitely see where he’s coming from. 

Assuming that’s where it’s heading, I’d argue that the spill over effect it’s common when we think of big blockbuster films with a lot of frontloadness demand. I think around $250m DOM is yeah a strong possibility, but WOM and the lack of real competition August forward, it could happen imho. Ironically, I’d say that the strikes might actually help Barbie and Oppenheimer here. Kinda uncharted territory and wild, fun box office run to follow.

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Makes total sense. 3 hours and R-rated. Will be a weekend film. Fact that it's doing this well in early week weekdays is nuts.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Can someone please explain to me why nobody is reporting that Barbie crossed 400M WW on Monday. It should have been around 415M. Oppie crossing 200M WW was reported but not this. :angry:

‘Barbie’ Surfs Past $400M Global Box Office Through Monday; ‘Oppenheimer’ Tops $200M

https://deadline.com/2023/07/barbie-oppenheimer-box-office-milestones-global-international-1235447983/

Speaking with  Jat earlier, Oppenheimer is the kind of movie that won't have especially impressive Tuesdays, it's hugely powered by PLF's and not really benefitting from discount pricing propping up attendance if there still isn't enough PLF's available. But Wednesday might be a softer drop as a result, that's the number to look out for going into the weekend

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think yesterday saw huge spillover. Weekdays are still at elevated level and presales for this weekend is really strong. Plus its going to hold Imax for 3 weeks minimum(big Imax will play beyond that as well). I definitely dont see it stop at 250m. Nolan movies are always leggy. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That is not weird. PG13 movies will have stronger weekdays than R rated movies. Adults have to work, summer or not. Wait until you see Friday increase for both. Barbie will have the softest increase among all movies(except those whose show count is decimated).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Speaking with  Jat earlier, Oppenheimer is the kind of movie that won't have especially impressive Tuesdays, it's hugely powered by PLF's and not really benefitting from discount pricing propping up attendance if there still isn't enough PLF's available. But Wednesday might be a softer drop as a result, that's the number to look out for going into the weekend

Wednesday & Thursday compared to the previous Saturday is probably the best metric to use for all movies. 

Can't even compare Oppenheimer with Dunkirk right now, they are all over the map with each other. Dunkirk increased more on opening Saturday, but dropped much harder on Sunday & Monday...and then increased a bunch on Tuesday. Oppenheimer increased less on Saturday, but had amazing performance on Sunday/Monday and a steep drop on Tuesday compared to Dunkirk.

So ultimately it's the Wednesday & Thursday numbers as a percentage of the previous Saturday that should help give some clarity. I have no idea how Dunkirk (with IMAX and more PLF screens than Oppy) was able to jump so much on Tuesday...maybe because it also dropped much harder on Sunday & Monday lol

With more "normal" drops of 18% on Sunday and 50% on Monday, Oppy would be looking at a 2.5% drop on Tuesday with $10.5M compared to a hypothetical $10.76M on Monday. Dunkirk dropped almost 25% on Sunday and 51% on Monday. 

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Wednesday & Thursday compared to the previous Saturday is probably the best metric to use for all movies. 

Can't even compare Oppenheimer with Dunkirk right now, they are all over the map with each other. Dunkirk increased more on opening Saturday, but dropped much harder on Sunday & Monday...and then increased a bunch on Tuesday. Oppenheimer increased less on Saturday, but had amazing performance on Sunday/Monday and a steep drop on Tuesday compared to Dunkirk.

So ultimately it's the Wednesday & Thursday numbers as a percentage of the previous Saturday that should help give some clarity. I have no idea how Dunkirk (with IMAX and more PLF screens than Oppy) was able to jump so much on Tuesday...maybe because it also dropped much harder on Sunday & Monday lol

With more "normal" drops of 18% on Sunday and 50% on Monday, Oppy would be looking at a 2.5% drop on Tuesday with $10.5M compared to a hypothetical $10.76M on Monday. Dunkirk dropped almost 25% on Sunday and 51% on Monday. 

Dunkirk did not have any spillover business on Monday. I dont remember Imax being booked for weeks like this movie. They are not comparable movies to compare. One could compare with Inception for sure. let us see how week on week holds look like compared to Inception. 

Glad Empire prefaced he’s going conservative today so this # should hold more firmly than that $30m number yesterday which was just mind boggling from the jump. Domestic crown looks like it’s all for the taking if it can keep this up. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Dunkirk did not have any spillover business on Monday. I dont remember Imax being booked for weeks like this movie. They are not comparable movies to compare. One could compare with Inception for sure. let us see how week on week holds look like compared to Inception. 

Overall trends are still worth comparing. Here’s a comparison of Tuesday as a percentage of Saturday for Nolan’s July movies:

Inception: Tuesday was 44.8% of Saturday

TDK: Tuesday was 43.8% of Saturday 

Dunkirk: Tuesday was 42% of Saturday 

Oppy: Tuesday might be 40% of Saturday 

TDKR: Tuesday was 39.5% of Saturday 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1