upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

The old gen is spoiled and thinks to know what is best to the franchise. These are kids movies. They were made and envisioned for kids. Unlike stuff like Batman and previous than the MCU Marvel films, they aren’t about reboots. They tell a fairy tale made for kids, and we loved them and they were iconic because they hit us at the right age, it kinda doesn’t matter if you were around back then or not as long as you were introduced at the right age.

I think old gen Star Wars fans are trying to find a high that it’s impossible to replicate because that’s what they felt when they were kids. The sequel trilogy won’t make you feel like a kid again, it won’t be what you idealized or hoped it would be. If you stop caring, that’s fine. If everyone stops caring, that’s fine too. But why it bothers so much to the og Star Wars fans when people bring up that ‘hey, the new trilogy has fans’? If you outgrew Star Wars, Marvel, DC and etc, that’s absolutely fine. It’s normal. Not all the Star Wars fans of the 1977 film were satisfied with the Return of the Jedi either, let alone the prequel trilogy. My point is that all comes down to the wise words of this old man here:

It’s a whole saga made for 12 year olds. And if the person you are now thinks that the new characters in Star Wars aren’t as iconic as the OG trilogy was, then that’s totally fine and a valid sentiment to have. Just be at peace that not all think like this, and there is a whole generation that is growing thinking Rey, Finn and Poe are as much iconic as we loved Luke, Han and Leia as kids. And that’s fine too.

I was 12 when the sequels were coming out, The OT is just better in every way.

• Thanks 1

Just now, WorkingonaName said:

Ok. It’s also a valid sentiment to have. But just don’t be surprised if people even younger than you think differently. Both sentiments are valid.

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yep! UK cinemas have been doing that since Covid. Shang Chi was the first I noticed. Most films that they think will be bigger cost +20% more than other films, including standard screens. They never stopped. 

Current example, a standard evening showing of Oppenheimer this Friday is £11.99 while Talk To Me is £9.99. 

• Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yep! UK cinemas have been doing that since Covid. Shang Chi was the first I noticed. Most films that they think will be bigger cost +20% more than other films, including standard screens. They never stopped. 

Current example, a standard evening showing of Oppenheimer this Friday is £11.99 while Talk To Me is £9.99. 

i'm ok with this strategy honestly.

if you make cards with good prices for people there are going to theater 10+ times for year it's ok to take more money from these people going 2 times at year only for big movies. If they go there only 2 times at year and they want to see Barbie so bad 10 dollars or 13 won't stop them.

While makes a difference for people going 3 times every month. So you make discounts for them. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Jurassic World & Inside Out. Amazing run for those 2 movies together. Barbie & Oppy feels like a pretty good sequel to Summer 2015. 

JW and IO was a way better lovestory than Twilight.

4 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Jurassic World has an underrated box office run. It was complete insanity and we didn’t see it coming as big as it did. 

Jurassic World ❤️

I feel like its run is underaprecciated here because TFA overshadowed it soon after it released and more cucially, many members here dont like the JW movies. But its run is mind-boggling to this day. Outgrossing The Avengers - which was a pop culture phenomenon on its own right - on OW and then handily Worldwide, actually coming very close to Jurassic Parks inflation-adjusted numbers worlwide as well - i honestly think you can make a good case for Jurassic World to be one of the Top 3 best box office runs of the 2010s. Whether you like the movie (you should) or hate it (you shoudnt), you gotta admit, the run was legendary.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

Saw barbieheimer plus Insidious today it was packed and I've never seen the theater this busy before. 

You didn't go to the theater Christmas of 2015 or in the summer of 2019?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

SW is a generational . So ST will have it fans but it nostalgia around it simply won't be as strong as OT & PT.

Well the OT is the OT and it's iconic and timeless .

PT has very strong and devoted fanbase and has a strong nostalgia too. And yeah it has ROTS.

ST has a strong start though it's foundation is weak and heavily relies on nostalgia,middle installment is divisive as hell, and the last installment is a trashfire that just about ruins everything and just about  annoys everybody.

If starwars wasn't a diverse expansive world where stories can be told from multiple timelines. TROS would have probably been  a "franchise killer".

OT & PT definitely have their flaws too but we can look back on those great moments but for the ST will always remember not just that shitty ending to the trilogy but the whole Skywalker saga .

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

It's actually surprising it took them this late. It makes no sense for Talk to Me and Oppenheimer cost the same. Oppenheimer is a premium product, that deserves premium prices. Non-tentpole films can have discounted pricing.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

The only issue I have with this, especially the way Cineworld does it, is that the price can take 3 months or more to come down if it's a long run. No Time to Die never reached the standard ticket price at my then local Cineworld during it's entire release, while No Way Home took until April. 

• Like 1

The old gen is spoiled and thinks to know what is best to the franchise. These are kids movies. They were made and envisioned for kids. Unlike stuff like Batman and previous than the MCU Marvel films, they aren’t about reboots. They tell a fairy tale made for kids, and we loved them and they were iconic because they hit us at the right age, it kinda doesn’t matter if you were around back then or not as long as you were introduced at the right age.

I think old gen Star Wars fans are trying to find a high that it’s impossible to replicate because that’s what they felt when they were kids. The sequel trilogy won’t make you feel like a kid again, it won’t be what you idealized or hoped it would be. If you stop caring, that’s fine. If everyone stops caring, that’s fine too. But why it bothers so much to the og Star Wars fans when people bring up that ‘hey, the new trilogy has fans’? If you outgrew Star Wars, Marvel, DC and etc, that’s absolutely fine. It’s normal. Not all the Star Wars fans of the 1977 film were satisfied with the Return of the Jedi either, let alone the prequel trilogy. My point is that all comes down to the wise words of this old man here:

It’s a whole saga made for 12 year olds. And if the person you are now thinks that the new characters in Star Wars aren’t as iconic as the OG trilogy was, then that’s totally fine and a valid sentiment to have. Just be at peace that not all think like this, and there is a whole generation that is growing thinking Rey, Finn and Poe are as much iconic as we loved Luke, Han and Leia as kids. And that’s fine too.

What

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Even if there is a huge shift back to theaters and we get attendance levels from a decade ago back, getting something to Endgame admissions for opening weekend would be insanely difficult. The only thing I can think of that could even feasibly do this is if James Gunn’s new DC universe is as successful as it possibly could be. And even that would take a while. 

357 million is basically unattainable. That was a perfect storm as it was the culmination of the greatest phase in mcu. Nothing else is going to touch that in my opinion. Jat said there were 33 million admissions that weekend. Do you know how insane that is? How many movies have made 357 million dollars in there entire run domestically? I'm not going to look it up right now but my guess is less than 100. If any film in the next 20 years grosses 357 million opening weekend it would shock the living hell out of me. 

• Like 1

They have a rather massive presence here in Brazil too lol. I mostly go to Cinemark movie theaters though.

The problem with Cinemark is that they have a very very small presence here in canada.

I'd say I'm on the "never say never" camp unless there's actual physical market limitations that really stop some things from happening, 33M admits is almost certainly never falling but wouldn't rule out gross given that we have no idea what the landscape will look like even 5 years from now let alone 20

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

357 million is basically unattainable. That was a perfect storm as it was the culmination of the greatest phase in mcu. Nothing else is going to touch that in my opinion. Jat said there were 33 million admissions that weekend. Do you know how insane that is? How many movies have made 357 million dollars in there entire run domestically? I'm not going to look it up right now but my guess is less than 100. If any film in the next 20 years grosses 357 million opening weekend it would shock the living hell out of me. 

The movie in question opens in 1 week though.

Spoiler

Meg_2-_The_Trench_film_cover.jpg

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

But like Original trilogy was iconic and nostalgia had fueled the sequel trilogy, especially force awakens.

This trilogy is hardly iconic and you run a chance of being monotonous to the point people stop caring anymore.

Speaking as a massive Star wars fan and somebody who has the force awakens as the third best film in the Star wars universe, equals especially the last Jedi of course really kind of pissed me off. I'm not going to get into everything again because we discussed it from here to eternity and back again.

But that hasn't stopped me from watching the mandalorian and Obi-Wan and liking them immensely. I don't know what they're going to do with Rey, but for me personally as long as the force is being utilized and there's lightsabers involved I'll  more than likely be at the theater and I'm sure many Star wars fans feel that way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Speaking as a massive Star wars fan and somebody who has the force awakens as the third best film in the Star wars universe, equals especially the last Jedi of course really kind of pissed me off. I'm not going to get into everything again because we discussed it from here to eternity and back again.

But that hasn't stopped me from watching the mandalorian and Obi-Wan and liking them immensely. I don't know what they're going to do with Rey, but for me personally as long as the force is being utilized and there's lightsabers involved I'll  more than likely be at the theater and I'm sure many Star wars fans feel that way.

I think what Star Wars really needs though is to let the Skywalker Saga truly be over. Start something new, new characters, new storylines. The Sequel Trilogy is so divisive among fans for many reasons, but one of the main ones is: When you use old, beloved characters in your new film, people will have certain expectations for those characters and they will be unhappy if you use these characters in ways that piss people off. Im not taking sides here, im just saying that is a reality that many franchises face, but Star Wars handled it arguably worse than others.

A new storyline would erase that risk. Without Luke, Han, Leia, Rey, Finn etc. there is no real baggage left. Set the new movies 1000 years in the past or the future. And then, of course, just write a good script. I think this would please most Star Wars Fans a lot more than a continuation of the ST's storyline.

• Like 4

Damn. So far, Barbie has been ahead of TDK throught previews (TDK had record-breaking $18,489,000 but only from 3,040 theaters from the 00:01 shows -- NOT from 3:00 and 6:00 screenings according to Variety! -- Barbie previews have started Thursday at 3 p.m. and had some on Wednesday), Saturday and Sunday were both very close, but on Monday and especially Tuesday (if +$25 million is true) Barbie clearly wins over Batman.

Of course, the average ticket price for TDK was around $8 (Mojo had $7,08 for all movies on July 2008, but Batman got $6,214,061 from 94 IMAXs this weekend) and Barbie was $12.65, but still remarkable numbers.

Can you imagine TDK would be open to about $250-280 million today? With the current number of IMAX auditoriums (+400? five times more than it was in 2008?), Dolby theaters, ScreenX and Thursday previews even +$300 million wouldn't surprise me. TDK run was epic!!

Edited by Juby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, across the Jat verse said:

It's actually surprising it took them this late. It makes no sense for Talk to Me and Oppenheimer cost the same. Oppenheimer is a premium product, that deserves premium prices. Non-tentpole films can have discounted pricing.

I think the smallest screens should have a permanent discount. They aren't much better than watching a movie at home, yet they charge the same price as another screen that might be 30-40% bigger. 

• Like 1

The problem with DR1 is that the marketing was so lackluster - which is even more confounding because Oppenheimer had a strong marketing campaign, and Barbie had one of the best marketings in film history. 

• Like 4