upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

4 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Watch out TFA, BARBIE is coming for you! Loving how quickly WB is releasing this figures, they can't wait to get this epic numbers out there!

Actually WB has been the first studio to release daily numbers, even during Flash's disaster. 

• Like 2

of course internet hype, conversations doesn't convert (not all of it at least) automatically in tickets but Barbie has been the most talked and discussed movie before being released since The force awakens.

I remember when that movie came there were references everywhere, covers of magazines about star wars and his impact on culture even in not movie related journals etc..

no that didn't exist for Avengers number 5-6 ...that stuff has a huge fanbase but the saga was already big so the movie itself didn't trascend into an extra movie cultural moment. 

all of this was there with Barbie too, so we can be surprised if it makes like 500-600M but honestly i don't understand how people didn't see at least 350M.400M domestic coming, at least the movie wasn't like a panned disaster ala cats. Cause again it was the most talked and hyped movie in almost 10 years.  

Edited by vale9001

29 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Why? I'm wrong all the time regarding movies box office. It means literally nothing.

I am fine with folks making bad BO prediction. But analyzing the box office based on knowledge is a different thing. I dont see how we can excuse someone following it for 30 years not understanding why Barbie stayed flat. Or when he made really bad projections after previews or weekend BO. That is not rocket science. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

I'm starting to struggle to see how Barbie doesn't beat Mario dom at this point. Overseas I still think Mario has it. But I love that fresh takes on global IPs that haven't been milked to death like Marvel and Star Wars are winning this year.

Actually if you check every market box office you’ll find Barbie beat Mario in almost 70% market.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am fine with folks making bad BO prediction. But analyzing the box office based on knowledge is a different thing. I dont see how we can excuse someone following it for 30 years not understanding why Barbie stayed flat. Or when he made really bad projections after previews or weekend BO. That is not rocket science. 

Exactly. He's fabricating a talking point by playing ignorant to factors he should have easily considered. 

7 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Mario is toast If Barbie breaks out in Japan,

And Barbie i imagine could actually be the kind of Hollywood film to do well in Japan.

With talk of a fairly flat Wednesday, then we're very likely looking at a Thursday above $20M, and possibly $22M or so.

Can anyone identify a July blockbuster in the last 10 years where the second weekend was materially less than 5x the preceding Thursday? Because closest I found was Spiderman Far From Home, where it was 4.97x.

If that's the ratio we're dealing with, $100M+ seems to be very much on the table. It's hard though, as there's very July films at this level.

Dark Knight had 4.55x ratio, so that's a potential precedent. But, even that ratio can get it over $100M if Thursday is above $22M.

• Like 3

Sorry but I don't see how some can throw out these huge numbers so early on in the day. Sure they may be right occasionally but it creates a setup for disappointment when the numbers don't come to fruition. First there was talk of 180M-200M OW, then a 30M Monday, now a flat Wednesday (which seems very unlikely). You can think calling that out is being negative but then don't complain when some come to the thread and say they're disappointed with otherwise great numbers (exactly what happened over the weekend) just because the insanely high number didn't happen. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, vafrow said:

With talk of a fairly flat Wednesday, then we're very likely looking at a Thursday above $20M, and possibly $22M or so.

Can anyone identify a July blockbuster in the last 10 years where the second weekend was materially less than 5x the preceding Thursday? Because closest I found was Spiderman Far From Home, where it was 4.97x.

If that's the ratio we're dealing with, $100M+ seems to be very much on the table. It's hard though, as there's very July films at this level.

Dark Knight had 4.55x ratio, so that's a potential precedent. But, even that ratio can get it over $100M if Thursday is above $22M.

Yeah, a $100m+ 2nd weekend is favored imo. The only comps I have with a 5x 2nd weekend IM are Inception and TDK... both over 10 years ago. TGM, TLM, and Jurassic World average ~6x. I'd be surprised if it's below 5.5 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Sorry but I don't see how some can throw out these huge numbers so early on in the day. Sure they may be right occasionally but it creates a setup for disappointment when the numbers don't come to fruition. First there was talk of 180M-200M OW, then a 30M Monday, now a flat Wednesday (which seems very unlikely). You can think calling that out is being negative but then don't complain when some come to the thread and say they're disappointed with otherwise great numbers (exactly what happened over the weekend) just because the insanely high number didn't happen. 

Not really, it’s on the reader to take very early numbers with a pinch of salt. 

Not many were actually predicting $180-200m for the weekend. Hence Hollywood being in shock. 

Anyway, these numbers are crazy regardless. 

• Like 2