upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

I think the biggest issue with Barbie capacity was not that there weren’t enough screens, it’s there weren’t nearly enough in the areas it was needed. I think there were areas *cough* conservative towns *cough* where it probably had an abundance of availability, but not the case in the major markets it needed it. 

33 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Still the best blockbuster of the year for me, right there with M:I. And yet both of them disappointed at the BO, and that is really disappointing on a personal level.

Both movies deserved better, but at least with MI they can point to things that cant be blamed on the movie itself.

• Like 1

Imo the reason seems Barbie Is like even growing up It's a wom is now starting to make It interesting to a different audience from previews and First day- weekend. 

This Is the row in my country on a thursday for a 10.45 pm screening. They are all adults and men and women. It's not the girly pink audience of the First days

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Spider-Man 1 in 2002 is still the most impressive opening weekend to me. Adjusted for inflation it’s $208m without any IMAX, 3D, or premium at all. It did all this on “only” like 7000 (I think) screens. That adjusts to nearly $30k a screen! I don’t know the exact screen count Endgame had in the states, but I highly doubt it tops Spidey’s per-screen attendance. 

Yep, no PLF and very limited screen count for Spidey 1 compared to more modern standards. 

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yep, no PLF and very limited screen count for Spidey 1 compared to more modern standards. 

It's difficult to compare pre and post digital distributed films. Pre-digital, theaters were limited by the number of prints they received for how many screens they could play a film on. Post-digital the only limiter is contractual obligations.

It gets even more out of sync when you factor in the reserved seating and pre-sales of today. Now theaters can know days or weeks in advance what to prepare for, where before it was much more guesswork.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 2

Disney isn’t petty, not trying to “stick it” to any other studio, so much as they throw their weight around to ensure their product gets preferential treatment and/or priority. Last week, for example, they required that Indiana Jones and Elemental play a full schedule, which helped to limit shows of Barbemheimer, and this week securing a lot of non-IMAX PLF screens for Mansion (that they aren’t going to give up no matter how well both films are looking to hold in week 2)

Starting in 2015, Disney captured at least 21% of the overall domestic market, hit over 26% three times, peaking at 33% in 2019.  But it sure seems like post-pandemic they’ve slid more back to the pack, but are still making - and getting - demands like 2015-19 MCU ramp up/Star Wars powerhouse, even when their titles clearly have a limited ceiling that others in release do not 

Edited by M37
  • Like 3

Sidenote to the whole box office thing, I'm seeing a ton of pink merchandise being pushed front and center. We were at the mall the other day and Dillards had a huge display of pink heels (nothing Barbie specific, just all a bunch of pink options).  There were pink purses on the aisle, pink clothes on mannequins, etc. Daughter ended up getting a pair and chatting with the saleswoman about the movie. Just kind of cool to see the trickle down marketing effect. I think that speaks to the level of phenomenon it is. It is The Movie, The Trend, etc. and, importantly probably for Mattel, it resonated with Gen Z in a way that most traditional media has not.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Spidey 1 OW was huge WTF considering 1st Potter had set OW record less than 6 months earlier(93m). But it benefitted from a dead market. After fellowship I don't think we had a BO hit. You don't have that luxury today.

It was also the first hero film post-9/11, taking place in NYC (the original teaser had Spidey catching a helicopter in a web between the twin towers), and to this day I’m convinced that connection played a big role it’s OW and overall run 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

It was also the first hero film post-9/11, taking place in NYC (the original teaser had Spidey catching a helicopter in a web between the twin towers), and to this day I’m convinced that connection played a big role it’s OW and overall run 

This is NY, you mess with one of us you mess with all of us

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

A little news from my local.   Tonight's Barbie large format is sold out.  Tonight's Oppenheimer IMAX is sold out.  The late showings still have some seating available. 

Tomorrow:  Barbie large format is sold out.  Oppenheimer IMAX early evening is sold out.  Still some seats available for the late night.

So what does this mean?  It's only one theater but again I have never really seen tickets sell like this outside of 'Endgame' or 'The Force Awakens' 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, M37 said:

For my persuasive arguments class in college I did an entire paper based on the correlation between 9/11 and the super hero movie blow-up. I made an A and convinced pretty much my entire class it was a big factor.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

• Founder / Operator

Share your final 2nd weekend predictions by 11:59pm ET tonight for Barbie and Oppy.

Closest on each gets a free month of Gold tier (no ads, more likes, etc.).

Must quote this post so it's easy to keep track!

• Like 6