upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think the biggest issue with Barbie capacity was not that there weren’t enough screens, it’s there weren’t nearly enough in the areas it was needed. I think there were areas *cough* conservative towns *cough* where it probably had an abundance of availability, but not the case in the major markets it needed it. 

My county went like 70/30 for Trump in 2020 and it was packed 

• Like 1

Oppenheimer 7pm IMAX showing tn at my local Regal theater in Syracuse, NY is at probably 80% capacity. Only the first 3 rows are still fully available along with a handful of scattered single seats throughout the rest of the theater. And my theater traditionally underindexes due to so many others tracked here because...it's Syracuse.

Barbie's 6:05pm RPX showing only has 36 seats sold, so hoping for a bigger walkup push there. 7:10pm primetime 2D showing has 30 seats sold.

38 minutes ago, M37 said:

Not a blockbuster, but Bad Moms = 4.63x Th/weekend in week 2, albeit vs Suicide Squad (and Rio Olympics), and Crawdads last July at 4.43x.  I mention these tittles because female skewing films tend to have higher weekdays and smaller Friday jumps (flatter daily pattern overall) and wanted to put that into the ether so we don’t have another “disappointing” total on Friday or the weekend in total 

Thanks. That's actually helpful. I still think a $100M+ is possible, but it's feels like there should be some precedent for it to not jump that high to give us some range.

I wouldn't have thought of Bad Moms, but I should have looked at Crawdads.

Another one I looked at is Girls Trip, with the exact release date, but that was over 6x.

We also run into the problem of Barbie being so unique of a performer, that you can't rule out outlier scenarios. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Share your final 2nd weekend predictions by 11:59pm ET tonight for Barbie and Oppy.

Closest on each gets a free month of Gold tier (no ads, more likes, etc.).

Must quote this post so it's easy to keep track!

Barbie: 96M

Oppy: 58M

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Call me a Disney apologist if you like but why is it a problem for them to be "petty?" WB has pulled *a lot* of shenanigans over the years. Haven't people been talking about how they were being petty towards Nolan? What they did with the Batgirl movie still seems very bizarre. I get it that it's a lot more fun to dunk on Disney than WB but all these big studios are ran by the same kind of people. 

Disney,  right now,  is making atrocious movies.  Let the windmills and tomahawks fly.  They need to be better. 

6 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Share your final 2nd weekend predictions by 11:59pm ET tonight for Barbie and Oppy.

Barbie: $94.5M

Oppenheimer: $48M

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Barbie: 95M

Oppenheimer: 50M 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Disney needs to go back to the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Black Hole, days

The money id give for Disney to go back to the 90s type of Rennaissance 2D animated movies.

28 minutes ago, sabrecmc said:

Sidenote to the whole box office thing, I'm seeing a ton of pink merchandise being pushed front and center. We were at the mall the other day and Dillards had a huge display of pink heels (nothing Barbie specific, just all a bunch of pink options).  There were pink purses on the aisle, pink clothes on mannequins, etc. Daughter ended up getting a pair and chatting with the saleswoman about the movie. Just kind of cool to see the trickle down marketing effect. I think that speaks to the level of phenomenon it is. It is The Movie, The Trend, etc. and, importantly probably for Mattel, it resonated with Gen Z in a way that most traditional media has not.

My wife said she had her eyes on a pink swim suit and whatever website it was on recently changed the name from “pink swim suit” to “Barbie swim suit” lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Disney,  right now,  is making atrocious movies.  Let the windmills and tomahawks fly.  They need to be better. 

Lol Their movies are overall no worse than any others. In fact, I'd say they have more good ones within the last year than WB. I guess we're supposed to forget about their flops and bad movies because Barbie is such a hit. 

14 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Barbie 102.5m

Oppy 52.5m

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Barbie: $96.3m

Oppenheimer: $53.8m

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Barbie: $85.2 million

Oppenheimer; $51.1 million

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

Oppenheimer - $47,338,900

Barbie - $89,644,560

• Like 2

Barbie 92.8m

Oppenheimer 51.5m

• Like 1