upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

44 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I can see already how the trailer of Disney Snow white will be

- from the screenwriter Greta Gerwig

- from the mind of Greta Gerwig

- did we already say Greta Gerwig is involved in this?.

I suspect they will change Greta Gerwing for "writer/director of Barbie".

43 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Incredibles 2 have an A+ on CinemaScore and absolutely stellar grades everywhere that matters 

Finding 3948484 reasons of why it was so big instead of just see it was greatly received is funny. You can dislike it, but there’s pretty much no evidence this is a collective feeling.

Someone asked why Incredibles 2 did so well and I gave several answers.

And one of them was literally "Because it was well received".

And most of the others was indicating WHY it was well received.

Disliking it is not the same as acknowledging that it doesn't really hold up to *most* objective measures of quality from a narrative perspective. Which from even a cursory view of the film it doesn't - the villain's motivation makes quite literally no sense. But audiences - as is their prerogative - didn't care. Because that wasn't what they wanted from the film and the film provided what they did want. Nor did I even dislike it, and certainly didn't indicate it was universally disliked.

I don't see how I could have been any more even handed. Yet your post here is quite clearly a pop at mine.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

It's really interesting how after more then a decade of blockbusters being notoriously front loaded (and getting even more so), we've actually seen the biggest films lately starting to do better over the long term. Films like top gun, Mario, barbie, Avatar 2 as well have all opened a lot lower then the megahits of the 2010s, but have all managed to leg it out to huge numbers.

Of course, the big superhero films have only gotten more front loaded if anything, and spiderman NWH is still the biggest film of the 20s domestically, but it's still interesting 

Edited by Killimano3
  • Like 14

On Incredibles 2 I'd also like to add that it came out during a different era. An era where streaming wasn't the unstoppable force it would become during the pandemic, thus causing the average moviegoer to be a lot more forgiving and less picky. If it was released today it'd drop off pretty quickly. Not on the level of the recent DC flops, but not anything pleasant. There's a reason why Spider-Verse crushed it and Ralph 2 at the Oscars back then.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not hard to imagine cause her rise to fame baffles me. I fully expect Gal gadot and those goofy "dwarves" to upstage her too. 

Oh lord, I can't even fathom the massive uproar that will ensue once we get an official look at those "dwarves". Forget Snow White being Latina, her buddies' new looks will be what truly make the reactionaries mad.

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

On Incredibles 2 I'd also like to add that it came out during a different era. An era where streaming wasn't the unstoppable force it would become during the pandemic, thus causing the average moviegoer to be a lot more forgiving and less picky. If it was released today it'd drop off pretty quickly. Not on the level of the recent DC flops, but not anything pleasant. There's a reason why Spider-Verse crushed it and Ralph 2 at the Oscars back then.

Ralph 2 is the worst sequel from the past 10 years. 

1 hour ago, VanillaSkies said:

A lot of the crowd aren’t paying for the tickets themselves, they are using pay it forward funds. So they don’t worry about getting a discounted ticket or not. That also accounts for some of the weaker Tuesday jump.

No, that ended 2 weeks ago - the pay it forward tickets are now saved for anti-trafficking group fundraisers 1st...they have not released any back to regular pay it forward folks since the 2nd weekend...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cheddar Please said:

23.5 and 10.6

can someone tell me why 90m is considered "possible" by reliable sources? I see no way this movie misses 90m short of it seeing no increase from Monday - Friday

Thurs - $20m (-13%, it's gonna lose all PLFs)

Fri - $28m (+40%)

Sat - $33.6m (+20%)

Sun - $26.9m (-18%)

Wknd - $89.2m

Nothing there seems especially unreasonable?

• Like 1

I am totally left leaning in my politics, but the new Snow White is definitely not what I imagine Snow White to look like. Plus the dwarves look atrocious. Didn't like Kristin Stewart's version either. I only liked Lily Collins' version.

2 hours ago, Jiffy said:

So are TFA and Endgame the only other films with a full set of $20m+ weekdays? Not to jinx it.

Do you mean over the first full week (7 days)? If so, No Way Home is also part of that very restricted group.

18 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

uhh what

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Haha, that guys is unfortunately off to a bad start. His first tweet is fake, that 3D ad is A impossible and B doesn’t exist. 

Damn, I’m usually better at avoiding fake news.

6 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

It's really interesting how after how after more then a decade of blockbusters being notoriously front loaded (and getting even more so), we've actually seen the biggest films lately starting to do better over the long term. Films like top gun, Mario, barbie, Avatar 2 as well have all opened a lot lower then the megahits of the 2010s, but have all managed to leg it out to huge numbers.

Of course, the big superhero films have only gotten more front loaded if anything, and spiderman NWH is still the biggest film of the 20s domestically, but it's still interesting 

It's funny how the trend now they seem to be actually in favor of OW deflation. NWH remains the only film in 4 years to have opened above $200m, despite inflation having made that feat much easier. Meanwhile, outside of the MCU, every other major blockbuster in the last few years seems to be trending towards to lower openings and stronger legs

2019 Blockbusters

Captain Marvel: 153m OW > 2.78

Avengers Endgame: 357m OW > 2.40

Aladdin: 91.5m OW > 3.89

Toy Story 4 > 120m OW > 3.62

The Lion King > 191m OW > 2.83

It Chapter 2: 91m OW > 2.26

Joker: 96m OW > 3.49

Frozen 2: 130m OW > 3.66

Star Wars IX: 177m OW > 2.90

Avg OW: 152.3m    Avg multi: 2.98

Now let's compare to post-COVID blockbusters:

Non-MCU blockbusters 2022-2023:

The Batman: 134m OW > 2.76

Top Gun Maverick: 127m OW > 5.67

JW Dominion: 145m OW > 2.59

Minions 2: 107m OW > 3.45

Super Mario: 146m OW* > 3.93 (3.53 if you subtract opening Wed and Thr) 

The Little Mermaid: 95m OW > 3.10

Spiderman ATSV: 120m OW > 3.12

Barbenheimer: 244m OW > ~3+

Avg OW: 125.2m    Avg multi: 3.715

There has been one major exception to this rule, which is the MCU, which remains comparative frontloaded:

No Way Home: 260m OW > 3.09* (OG release)

Dr. Strange 2: 187m OW > 2.11

Thor 4: 144m OW > 2.38

Black Panther 2: 181m OW > 2.50

AMaTW: 106m OW: 2.02

GoTG Vol. 3: 118m OW > 3.03

Avg OW: 166m    Avg multi: 2.52

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

I mean the right wingers who are complaining about "wokeness" were never going to see this movie? The kids aren't going to care about this silly nonsense, and we are already seeing a "woke" movie hitting box office records right now as we speak. Not saying Snow White is impervious to bombing or whatever, but right wing media and YouTube grifter silliness impacts nothing.

Barbie is not woke lmao. A woke Barbie would have casted a non-white woman or a plus-size white woman to play Barbie.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Thurs - $20m (-13%, it's gonna lose all PLFs)

Fri - $28m (+40%)

Sat - $33.6m (+20%)

Sun - $26.9m (-18%)

Wknd - $89.2m

Nothing there seems especially unreasonable?

First of all, I have a feeling Sunday is going to be higher than Friday due to more showings, and secondly, I was referring more so to mid-lower 80m range, I wouldn't be too surprised if it just about missed 90m, albeit I don't consider it the most likely outcome

• Like 2