upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

1 minute ago, M37 said:

As one who suggested such, turns out it was much more due to fixed capacity limitations than anything having to do with demand. And so we've seen that unmet demand consistently roll forward into the ensuring days, spreading the opening out over the first 10 days rather than an OW surge and drop-off

Very similar to TDK’s spillover, but Barbie had even stronger weekdays than TDK and Barbie will probably have a much stronger second weekend than TDK as well. More frontloading in superhero genre. 

4 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Barbie isn’t a success just because of Barbie brand or just Greta. It is a mix of a bunch of things. Talented director, Barbie brand, good reviews, pop cultural moment/hype, excellent marketing campaign, story that is relatable and speaks to big audiences, unique story (not a superhero flick or sequel) and ect. 

yes, but as every movie....it's not like every spielberg movie has made 500M domestic because it's spieleberg...there are a lot of factors...dinosaurs  definitely sells more....

personally as period drama movies big fan i would be interested to a big historical biographica movie with Matt Damon, Robert Downey Junior and Emily Blunt even if it was directed by Ron Howard or Mel Gibson.

Nolan is definitely a big factor to make it even more interesting to me but it's not like a totally unknown original obscure subject with c list actors. 

6 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

D'Alessandro is so stubborn through years with this lowballing. I think it's even kind of amazing.

I've always been under the assumption Deadline basically shills for the industry so they lowball to make studios look better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

top gun started with 126M first weekend vs 162 of Barbie..

We need at least the third weekend to say Top gun was another "class of holds" imo. 

TGM’s third weekend was vs JWD (and losing PLF), so that comp is going to be skewed regardless. This isn’t a knock on Barbie, I just don’t think there is a good appreciation of just how much of an outlier TGM was in terms of legs: basically same as Elemental this summer, a slight tick below Avatar 2 with the holiday boost 

22 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

right now i would say 1.400-1.450B. 

If explodes in Japan maybe can go over 1.5B but not 2B 😀. Any chance of it without at least 150M in China and 100M in South Korea 

Barbie is expected to overperform in China 2nd Weeknd, is becoming beloved by women there, it has a 8.5 on douban, that is insane not even Avatar 2.

5 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Barbie is expected to overperform in China 2nd Weeknd, is becoming beloved by women there, it has a 8.5 on douban, that is insane not even Avatar 2.

it is doing better than it initially looked in china, and it was showing signs of a breakout early on in the week, but it has kinda cooled off since, still a decent run given expectations I guess but will but more in the vein of 30-40M from the looks of it

Just realized Barbie and Oppenheimer for their second weekend will beat this projection from a month ago lol.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/barbie-box-office-tracking-oppenheimer-1235526172/

Barbenheimer: ‘Barbie’ Tracking for Beatific $70M- $80M Opening, Christopher Nolan’s ‘Oppenheimer’ Targets $40M

• Astonished 1

44 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

People are seeing this movie because its Barbie, not because its a Greta Gerwig movie.

That is true. However, Barbie is enjoying these holds and reviews and it is resonating with its target audience because it is a Greta Gerwig movie and she made a fantastic movie. 

20 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

yes, but as every movie....it's not like every spielberg movie has made 500M domestic because it's spieleberg...there are a lot of factors...dinosaurs  definitely sells more....

personally as period drama movies big fan i would be interested to a big historical biographica movie with Matt Damon, Robert Downey Junior and Emily Blunt even if it was directed by Ron Howard or Mel Gibson.

Nolan is definitely a big factor to make it even more interesting to me but it's not like a totally unknown original obscure subject with c list actors. 

Yes like with every movie, it's many factors but most importantly concept. However, Oppenheimer by Nolan is defo more appealing than Oppenheimer by non-star director who isn't known for a specific cerebral twisty style that makes his movies so popular. Likewise, Barbie by Gerwig immediately attracted cinephile's attention (they are also audience!) which wouldn't happen if it wasn't an acclaimed director but someone who already churned out shitty blockbusters.

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Just realized Barbie and Oppenheimer for their second weekend will beat this projection from a month ago lol.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/barbie-box-office-tracking-oppenheimer-1235526172/

Barbenheimer: ‘Barbie’ Tracking for Beatific $70M- $80M Opening, Christopher Nolan’s ‘Oppenheimer’ Targets $40M

Imagine Barbie ends up doing 70 in its third weekend 😱 seems unlikely... but might not be too far off

I think the Gerwig comparisons to Jordan Peele are fair. If anything Gerwig has the advantage.

Also, am I the only one that thinks Tarantino isn't a particularly reasonable comparison to Nolan or Cameron.

The longevity and appreciation is there, maybe even the name itself. But his supposed magnum opus of Kill Bill only did x3 budget (both) and under 200m WW, he has an outright flop on his resume post-breakout in Grindhouse/Deathproof and another pretty-poor in Hateful Eight. His big hitters are x4 to x4.5 budget and only one movie over $380m.

Don't get me wrong, It's a very,very good record. But is he a box office juggernaut in the way that Nolan, Cameron and peak Spielberg are? 

Maybe this conversation doesn't matter. Yes, that's probably the case.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

Im really impres at Barbie weekdays numbers (also Oppenheimer, but barbie es so huge). I expect the friday incrrease to be very low but even thoug i cannot see barbie doing less than $80 on it's second weekend. It has the potential to have a huge second weekend. I expect a 30% increase on friday, a 20% increase on saturday and a 20% drop on sunday for a $87,2 second weekend (46,2% drop, amazing). On weekdays barbie did $96,3 that represent 59,4% of the OW (that includes previews). The $96,3 weekday gross is the 8th highest ever. Whats more important, is the second highest grossing non holidays weekdays ever. Only AV:EG did better, and in may, really impressive, but AB:EG open 2,2x higher than Barbie. Barbie have better weekdays than TDK wich for me is one of the biggest surprises as TDK had amazing weekdays. 

1-TFA 1st weekdays $142,9 (holidays)

2-SM:N 1st weekdays $125,7 (holidays)

3-AV:EG 1st weekdays $116,8 

4-SW:TRS 1st weekdays $112,4 (holidays)

5-TFA 2st weekdays $111,9 (holidays)

6-A:TWW 2nd weekdays $97,1 (holidays)

7-SW:TLJ 2nd weekdays $96,5 (holidays)

8-Barbie 1st weekdays $96,3 

3 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I think the Gerwig comparisons to Jordan Peele are fair. If anything Gerwig has the advantage.

Also, am I the only one that thinks Tarantino isn't a particularly reasonable comparison to Nolan or Cameron.

The longevity and appreciations is there, maybe even the name itself. But his supposed magnum opus of Kill Bill only did x3 budget (both) and under 200m WW, he has an outright flop on his resume post-breakout in Grindhouse/Deathproof and another pretty-poor in Hateful Eight. His big hitters are x4 to x4.5 budget and only one movie over $380m.

Don't get me wrong, It's a very,very good record. But is he a box office juggernaut in the way that Nolan, Cameron and peak Spielberg are? 

Tarantino movies are Hard R ratings. Very limited audience because of that. It’s pretty impressive that he was able to make profitable movies such as Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, and Unce Upon A Time in Hollywood

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

The longevity and appreciation is there, maybe even the name itself. But his supposed magnum opus of Kill Bill only did x3 budget (both) and under 200m WW, he has an outright flop on his resume post-breakout in Grindhouse/Deathproof and another pretty-poor in Hateful Eight. His big hitters are x4 to x4.5 budget and only one movie over $380m.

Tarantino isn't a blockbuster director like Nolan or Cameron, or like Spielberg once was. He's definitely in a smaller scale category, but the sentiment is still similar. Few directors can pull a $40M opening for a movie like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Similarly goes for Jordan Peele.

• Like 1