Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Dune 2 Early Shows MTC1 - 8093/55566 174919.23 181 shows

its seems to be just Imax and  so MTC2 is irrelevant(I see only 11 shows listed and 200 tickets sold). Lincoln Sq Imax already sold out. Dune had good day 1 sales and so I am not surprised. Since this is just imax, I am expecting good sales for its previews when it opens in 2 days.  

Glad I saw this, I for some reason thought the Sunday shows didn't go on sale until Friday. Booked 2 tickets, my closest IMAX is already about 70% sold out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, misterpepp said:

These early shows are on sale now. As mentioned, general sales still start on the 26th.

Ah, that explains that!  I thought one of my locals jumped the gun.

(Sacto report later tonight, then)

So when exactly did tickets go on sale, anyway?  8pm Pacific? [ETA:  misterpepp's timestamp was at 7:30pm local time, so I'll go with that for now]  If so, not nearly enough time for me to do a Day 1 track, even of EA only showtimes.  Plus there's only three theaters locally that are showing it.

Still, can give a preview of how it's doing locally:

QUICK SACTO SPOT CHECK FOR IMAX EA SHOWINGS OF DUNE 2 (T+4 hours [more or less])

350/814 (43.00% sold) [3 showings]

THE FOLLOWING ARE *****NOT****** COMPS!

CAPITAL "N"
CAPITAL "O"
CAPITAL "T"

TRIPLE EXCLAMATION POINT!!!

(yes yes, let reddit know)

Dune  [1st full day of sales]:                                394 tickets sold

The Batman [1st full day of *EA ONLY* sales]:  371 tickets sold

Barbie [1st full day of *EA ONLY* sales]:            196 tickets sold

----

Only have two films the last couple of years which had EA exclusive sales before regular showings went on sale (at least from what I recall) and neither one of them are remotely appropriate. Plus the local TrueIMAX theater is gonna over-index like mad for this film* as this is the exact type of film to draw out the cinephiles out here (Dune over-indexed like mad at that theater as well).

* Currently at approx 65% of all sales so far

Still, even with those caveats this is hella impressive for a little more than four hours of sales.

Gonna make a Full Day One report tomorrow at the normal time and roll these numbers into them, but I wanted to put it out there that it's doing pretty damn well at the starters gun.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

Fighter Final PS for OD

USA - $205,557 / 12,533 tix sold at 1,735 Shows (500 locs) 

Incl. Canada - $300K. Doesn't look good at all despite huge number of PLF/IMAX shows. Middle East has banned the movie (UAE has cleared the film after cut until Ministry called to hold on)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

So when exactly did tickets go on sale, anyway?  8pm Pacific? [ETA:  misterpepp's timestamp was at 7:30pm local time, so I'll go with that for now]

EA went on sale a few hours before I posted, but official public announcements weren’t sent out until around then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, misterpepp said:

EA went on sale a few hours before I posted, but official public announcements weren’t sent out until around then.

Makes sense.  When you posted, two out of the three theaters I track were still grayed out on Fandango, IIRC, and the TrueIMAX theater had only sold approx 30 tickets (as of 11:30pm it was sitting at 225) so pretty negligible before the official switch was flipped.

• Like 2

So, my Cinemarks have set presales - PLF is a little more cautious that non-PLF, but both sets are very good for non-supers (especially at the 12)...should have the room for a 3 digit weekend if there's interest, b/c there will be seats...

PLF 14 - 3 screens/10-11 showings - 1 PLF screen (4 showings), 2 reg screens (6 showings - 1 extra on Saturday) 

Non-PLF 12 - 4 screens - 10 showings F - 14 showings Sat/Sun (b/c it opens at 2pm weekdays, and 10am weekends now)

I expect the PLF 14 to add the 2nd PLF screen it has before sales are over...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

Those EA shows for Dune 2 are going to mess with comps in the early sales period. Normally, as it’s a weekend show, I would advise to consider it a sneak preview and not include in preview numbers … but because they went on sale first, absorbing fan rush demand, and will likely deflate the initial (and PLF heavy) Thursday sales, they probably have to be roped in somehow 

Maybe once regular tickets go on sale do a comp with and without those EA sales and average them? Might just take a week (or more?) for things to somewhat balance out where a straight comp gives a good (ie predictive) value. Also might see IM dragged down, adding a few million in “bonus” gross to previews; both Batman and TGM, with full PLF EA runs, landed at a mid-6x IM, but would have been more in 8x range from just Thursday 

• Like 4

As for Marley ... its very odd that MTC1 doesn't have tickets up for sale yet. At this point, its not that they're behind, but appear to be holding off for some reason. Maybe waiting to see how sales go before deciding whether it or Madame Web gets the Dolby screens for that V-Day through Pres Day stretch? Planning some kind of promotion and putting both (all) films on sale at same time?

(Its possible that a ball was just dropped by someone somewhere, but after 3 days that's becoming less likely)

• Like 3

Dune early tickets are still moving. Up to 11745 at MTC1. To reiterate, its just Imax. MTC2 has very few imax screens and so will fill demand with their PLF once sales open for previews. Plus this is a small number overall. I am expecting 30k+ OD once weekend sales open up. I think Oppenheimer could be a good comp for this one as I am expecting similar OW and this will also be very strong in PLF. 

• Like 9

FLORIDA

DUNE 2 IMAX EA

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

15.1%

SELLOUTS

No Disney springs showing listed yet, so numbers will drastically increase once that is added

This is very good, indeed. Expecting ~3k seats sold by T-0 so that would nearly triple Mean girls EA sales

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, M37 said:

Those EA shows for Dune 2 are going to mess with comps in the early sales period. Normally, as it’s a weekend show, I would advise to consider it a sneak preview and not include in preview numbers … but because they went on sale first, absorbing fan rush demand, and will likely deflate the initial (and PLF heavy) Thursday sales, they probably have to be roped in somehow 

Maybe once regular tickets go on sale do a comp with and without those EA sales and average them? Might just take a week (or more?) for things to somewhat balance out where a straight comp gives a good (ie predictive) value. Also might see IM dragged down, adding a few million in “bonus” gross to previews; both Batman and TGM, with full PLF EA runs, landed at a mid-6x IM, but would have been more in 8x range from just Thursday 

I would also think being Sunday at 7pm should mitigate/lessen some of your concerns here as that late of a showing shouldn't pick up as much of the casual movie going crowd.

The next big tell will be the True Day 1 sales when all regular showtimes go on sale.  Just how much demand has been burnt off and how well will the PLF showtimes on Thr do?

42 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA

DUNE 2 IMAX EA

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

15.1%

SELLOUTS

No Disney springs showing listed yet, so numbers will drastically increase once that is added

This is very good, indeed. Expecting ~3k seats sold by T-0 so that would nearly triple Mean girls EA sales

What is the split between MTC1 and the rest?

23 hours ago, vafrow said:

I'm out of the country, so I can't check Cineplex site (it's literally giving me errors both on app and site). Any Canadian trackers taking a peak on how Fighter is doing? 

With how low this weekend is going to be, I'm wondering if it can make some decent noise. When I left, it was getting a very wide release in the region.  BOP update doesn't reference it for this weekend, but I know these releases can be a big wildcard on quiet weekends.

Ill take a peek at it. 

Quick peek Vancouver has 2 theatres with 3 showings each and Toronto has 4 Theatres looks to be about 2-3 showings a theatre

Count wise for Today? Across both those Looking at 5-25 seats sold approx for Today (Thurs). Looks like possibility might get some decent traffic over the weekend with walkups

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 1