Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I get the sense he's always envisioned himself as The Next Great American Filmmaker, even with the successful acting career he's had. Since 2016, not counting his Flash cameo, he's only appeared in two movies (The Midnight Sky - a Netflix feature which he also directed - and Ticket to Paradise).

He's gonna be in a new movie with Brad Pitt and the new Noah Baumbach movie. Both of these will be successful

Aquaman 2

Thurs Dec 21 Fri Dec 22 (T-2 Thurs, F3 Friday)

Vancouver and Calgary Canada

# theatre #show Seats Sold Seats Rem Ttl seat Percent
Vancouver Thurs 3 18 89 3695 3784 0.0235
  Fri 3 20 188 4371 4559 0.0412

Calgary Thurs 4 23 116 4325 4441 0.0261
  Fri 4 24 191 5014 5205 0.0366

For comparison

Shazam 2

Thurs Mar 16 Fri Mar 17 (T-3)

Vancouver and Calgary Canada

Vancouve Thurs 3 18 78 3829 3907 0.0199
  Fri 3 22 130 4876 5006 0.0259

Calgary Thurs 3 24 34 4596 4630 0.0073
  Fri 3 22 54 4833 4887 0.0110
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2023 at 10:39 AM, crazymoviekid said:

2 Local NJ Theaters Christmas Day T-7:

The Color Purple - 604 (8)
Wonka - 145 (8)
AQM 2 - 29 (8)
Ferrari - 81 (7)
Migration - 14 (9)
The Iron Claw - 6 (7)
Poor Things - 15 (6)
Boys in the Boat - 93 (7)
Anyone But You -  0 (8)

Color Purple still strong.   Wonka is picking up.  Boys in the Boat coming in hotter than Ferrari.   Migration standing still.  Aquaman and Ferrari had a nice pulse. Poor Things has entered the chat.  Iron Claw and Anyone But You still pretty dead.

2 Local NJ Theaters Christmas Day T-5:

The Color Purple - 646 (8)
Wonka - 206 (8)
AQM 2 - 37 (8)
Ferrari - 105 (7)
Migration - 18 (9)
The Iron Claw - 25 (7)
Poor Things - 15 (6)
Boys in the Boat - 130 (7)
Anyone But You -  2 (8)

Sales are starting to pick up all around!  Color Purple still big as ever.   Wonka, Boys in the Boat, Iron Claw, and Ferrari had very strong surges.  Aquaman had a nice pickup. Migration and Poor Things are flat.  Anyone But You has finally, but barely entered the chat.

Edited by crazymoviekid
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I don’t know why people thought TCP would get poor reviews when all the buzz from (real) critics was very positive. Worst case scenario is that it’s not quite good enough to be a major Oscars contender but it’s still a solid film and a crowdpleaser.

I dunno, for a second there I wondered if it could get in the mid 50s/60s on RT which would not be a disaster but could slow down some business after the holidays.

56 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I don’t know why people thought TCP would get poor reviews when all the buzz from (real) critics was very positive. Worst case scenario is that it’s not quite good enough to be a major Oscars contender but it’s still a solid film and a crowdpleaser.

Unless it really collapses at the box office, I think this is a case where financial success will lead to awards success.

It's looking at a run similar to Elvis, with better reviews and being released during the awards period.

This feels like the type of success story Oscar voters want to see. Adult skewing, serous films that can find a proper audience over the holidays.

Also, if it is successful, then the people who vote on these awards will probably be hearing from friends and family that are seeing it in theatres.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, joselowe said:

Should hopefully give it a nice bump

@IdahoJacket @Dreadnought @ringedmortality @MovieMan89 @ThomasNicole

Average rating right in line with where I expected around 7, though looks like the tomatometer could be higher than normal for that avg. We’ll see once it gets most reviews, but of course the reception is at least good.

Yes, higher % should help for the purpose of opening too. I don’t think BP nom is happening based on reviews, but I would love to see Fantasia win the Oscar (without having actually seen it yet just bc I love her). 

Edited by MovieMan89

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-christmas-aquaman-2-the-color-purple-1235677638/

Aquaman 2 : 40M+ 4 Days and 110M worldwide through Sunday ( 100M without US Christmas Day)

Wonka : 20M+ 4 Days ( which is super low)

Migration : 10M 3 Days , 15M 4 Days

Anyone but you : 7M 4 Days

Iron Claw : 6M 4 Days

Boys and The Boat : 2-3M Christmas Day

Ferrari : 1M Christmas Day

Color Purple : 10M Christmas Day ( rising but still below the presales)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1