katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

That overseas hold for Oppy is simply nuts. This is despite it having had good OW in several asian markets which tend to be front loaded. mostly thanks to great hold and even increases in Europe/Latin America/ANZ. Parts of Asia also held crazy strong. Big question is 3rd weekend. Domestic will have another amazing hold(way better than 2nd weekend as there is no previews overhang and its keeping Imax) but overseas I am expecting a solid rather than spectacular hold. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

That overseas hold for Oppy is simply nuts. This is despite it having had good OW in several asian markets which tend to be front loaded. mostly thanks to great hold and even increases in Europe/Latin America/ANZ. Parts of Asia also held crazy strong. Big question is 3rd weekend. Domestic will have another amazing hold(way better than 2nd weekend as there is no previews overhang and its keeping Imax) but overseas I am expecting a solid rather than spectacular hold. 

What do you think the trajectory for Barbie is going to be for the next week?

2 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

What do you think the trajectory for Barbie is going to be for the next week?

Domestic will have another great week. I am expecting sub 40% drop in its 3rd weekend. Let us see how weekdays goes before honing in any closer. This will play well entire summer and beyond and finish 600m+. I hope it does enter Top 10 all time unadjusted beating a crappy movie(sorry to bug) at number 10 🙂

• Astonished 2

2 hours ago, Cap said:

So I made the switch over to an EV a couple years ago, and bought the Mustang Mach-E. It was very funny to watch all the so-called lib-hating folks on Twitter asking “is everyone gonna give up their EV cause Musk bought Twitter.”  And I kept thinking; Nope! 😁 I bought a Ford.  

I really want an electric car but the prices are still too high at the moment. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, solaris said:

What are the Chinese BO prospects looking like for Oppy? Dunkirk managed $50m... Will this being a much more talky drama hinder it?

The movie doesn't seem to translate well for a lot of Chinese overseas because of the language barrier. A lot of them complained that it was hard to understand because there were no subtitles. I am not sure if the subbed/dubbed version in China would resolve this issue. While China did love Green Book, I feel like they might still expect Inception/Tenet kind of action movie from Nolan. Hope I am wrong, because on the other hand a lot of people were willing to travel to Hong Kong from the mainland to watch the movie.

While the box office numbers have been fun, my favourite thing to read is how much food and drink has been sold, this is a UK centric article about how much food and drink has been sold in cinemas:

https://www.screendaily.com/features/how-dedicated-staffers-are-ensuring-uk-ireland-cinemas-dont-run-out-of-popcorn-as-audiences-embrace-barbenheimer/5184525.article

• Like 2

AMC Theatres Posts Best Admissions-Revenue Week in the Company’s 103 Year History

AMC Theatres announced its ‘best week ever’, achieving the highest single-week admissions revenue in the company’s entire 103-year history, during the Friday-Thursday film week from July 21st to July 27th. AMC’s single-week admissions revenue record was driven primarily by the opening performances of Barbie and Oppenheimer, which continued with strong moviegoer demand throughout their first full week of release. The previous weekend marked AMC’s busiest since reopening theaters after their pandemic closure in 2020. AMC also had its third busiest weekend globally since theaters reopened, with admissions revenue more than double the admissions revenue for the same weekend last year. As part of AMC’s single-week admissions revenue record, 65 U.S. AMC locations set their own new single-week box office records, including 13 AMC locations in the greater Los Angeles market. 

Regarding the record-setting week, Adam Aron, chairman and chief executive officer of AMC commented, “The monumental success of Barbie and Oppenheimer has the entire movie and movie theater industry abuzz, with discussions of new records and new benchmarks being realized seemingly wherever you turn. These two movies, along with the many others playing on our huge silver screens, continue to rewrite what is possible at the box office. At AMC, we are thrilled to add our own new all-time records into that conversation. Achieving the most admissions revenue in a single week in AMC’s storied 103-year history is a testament to the moviegoing audience, who has demonstrated once again that they are ready, willing, and eager to come out to movie theaters in huge numbers. Thank you to our guests for choosing AMC Theatres in the U.S. and Odeon Cinemas abroad.”

• Like 9
  • Heart 1
  • Astonished 3

7 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

What are the chances for Oppy to actually hit a billion?

Well, if Oppenheimer gets re-released wide and with extra theaters and maybe with the help from awards push, then maybe it can get there. Depends on where it finishes DOM & WW. If it’s extremely close to $1B, then Universal might find a way to push it there.

• Like 1