Issac Newton

Weekday #s | Aug 14-17 | Barbie #1 WB Domestic Film of ALL TIME, because it’s what she DESERVES.

11 minutes ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

Puss in Boots went on VOD January 6th, and we all know what happened there, so I'm still skeptical of the fact that dropping a movie on VOD for a $20 rental is truly damning for movies' legs.

Hmm I just hope it's not a $20 "purchase" like to "own" the movie digitally.

Angel Studios, the distributor behind Alejandro Monteverde’s summer surprise hit, Sound of Freedom, is exclaiming that they’ve paid back their 6,678 P&A investors 120% of their original investment in the Jim Caviezel movie.

Angel Studios raised $5M for the pic’s marketing through crowdfunding, the anti-child trafficking movie recently clicking past $174M in the middle of its sixth week through yesterday — more than Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny ($172.9M) and Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning – Part One‘s ($160.8M) domestic box office (the pic beat Indy this past weekend).

6,678 Angel Guild members have now received $1.20 for every $1 they invested into the launch budget for Sound of Freedom, and we are thrilled to be able to get funds back to them in three months,” said Neal Harmon, CEO of Angel Studios. “The Angel Guild is key to our theatrical strategy and paying out as quickly as possible is always our first priority.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

I suppose it's a re-release

Coraline has been re-released in theaters as part of LAIKA Studios’ 15-year anniversary. Screenings are held by Fathom Events in partnership with LAIKA, Shout!

I had no idea this was happening. That's not bad, though I suppose it depends on number of screens too.

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Didn't Warner denied the 45 days window?

There were whispers of Barbie releasing on PVOD on that date for a while now. Don't know why WB didn't delay the digital release for a few more weeks. The movie will still be making good money at that point.

These release dates might be locked in by contracts a long time ago, Uni was dead set on a early PVOD release for Mario when was clear how massive it was.

At least they waited until after Labor Day weekend for the release.

Too bad we aren't getting a TGM sized theatrical window.

Edited by Mojoguy

16 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Wait...what?

Fathom Events. Anecdotally I can say that all of the Coraline screenings near me were essentially completely sold out both days (save for some stray single seats). Fathom added a third date due to demand, but it's not until the 28th, I guess because of short notice.

53 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There seem to be more people online saying people will be upset at Barbie overtaking TDK than there are actual people upset at that. Seen almost no one genuinely angry at this feat.

i've seen a lot of thinking that this movie's success is sticking it to the film bros somehow but it seems like it's been fully embraced by the film bros.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i've seen a lot of thinking that this movie's success is sticking it to the film bros somehow but it seems like it's been fully embraced by the film bros.

It’s because Ryan Gosling is in it.

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Ken has been popular with males. He is really relatable as that guy being in love with that one woman. The movie handled his story well.

45 minutes ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

Puss in Boots went on VOD January 6th, and we all know what happened there, so I'm still skeptical of the fact that dropping a movie on VOD for a $20 rental is truly damning for movies' legs.

Weirdly, I’d argue PVOD helped that movie’s theatrical legs in particular. Feel like a ton of the memes came out after it was available in HD with no cam footage, alongside a bunch of “WOAH THIS ANIMATION IS SICK” posts. Like it would probably still be leggy, but it probably got a 50M boost from that early PVOD launch or whatever.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

TDK is among my all time favs and I am happy Barbie has the record. Records are meant to be broken and its great to see a well reviewed/received from from Greta is taking this record and hopefully many more before the end of its run. 

Plus this doesn't really make TDK's accomplishments less amazing. As a Nolan fan I am more focused on how Oppenheimer's currently doing lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Angel Studios, the distributor behind Alejandro Monteverde’s summer surprise hit, Sound of Freedom, is exclaiming that they’ve paid back their 6,678 P&A investors 120% of their original investment in the Jim Caviezel movie.

Angel Studios raised $5M for the pic’s marketing through crowdfunding, the anti-child trafficking movie recently clicking past $174M in the middle of its sixth week through yesterday — more than Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny ($172.9M) and Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning – Part One‘s ($160.8M) domestic box office (the pic beat Indy this past weekend).

6,678 Angel Guild members have now received $1.20 for every $1 they invested into the launch budget for Sound of Freedom, and we are thrilled to be able to get funds back to them in three months,” said Neal Harmon, CEO of Angel Studios. “The Angel Guild is key to our theatrical strategy and paying out as quickly as possible is always our first priority.

That is apparently their norm, if a backed product makes enough profit to make it feasible.  It's how they keep the crowdfunders.

That said, not every product has gotten the 20% plus original funding paid back, so it's a risky endeavor, and thus a high payout when the crowdfunding risks pay off.

• Like 1