Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

That sounds really, really low for true Friday. Wouldn’t be surprised to see that go up by a million or so.

Yeah I’m really hoping this is a classic Deadline lowball, though we still have very little idea of how NCD shifts demand around

I really don’t understand where these $8M projected Sunday numbers are coming from … that’s 2M admits! 

To put that in perspective, that would be on par with (if not above!) Oppenheimer’s opening Sunday. There just aren’t enough seats allocated for any one movie to reach that level IMO

6 hours ago, Eric the Car said:

So what's everybody's Sunday plans for National Cinema Day? My viewing is going to be American Graffitti. First time I've seen it, and I'm quite curious to see what George Lucas created before he destroyed the world.

Paul Le Mat is my 70s Alden Ehrenreich. don't get why he didn't become a huge star he's so great in American Graffiti. Excellent in Melvin and Howard too.

4 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

The real question is, how much money is Liam Neeson's latest masterpiece, Retribution going to make?

Sadly it seems it won't be releasing in Canada. This has become a trend this year particularly with MGM and Luonsgate.

Schlinders List is 30 years old this year. Does Neeson even remember this interchangeable junk he's making now 5 minutes after he's done shooting them. 

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Schlinders List is 30 years old this year. Does Neeson even remember this interchangeable junk he's making now 5 minutes after he's done shooting them. 

To be honest, I don't know how these keep getting funding. They must make a killing on vod or something.

They all seem to have $40M budgets and keep opening under $5M.

I just looked at his wiki and he already has 3 more of them lined up and coming soon.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

To be honest, I don't know how these keep getting funding. They must make a killing on vod or something.

They all seem to have $40M budgets and keep opening under $5M.

I just looked at his wiki and he already has 3 more of them lined up and coming soon.

Idk about funding, but I read somewhere he does it because he just wants to keep busy after the death of his wife. It made me sad and I don't like making fun of it much now :(

• Sad 12

If DL is projecting GT at $15M-$16M after a $2.7M true Friday and $8M for Friday with previews, then Barbie is going to win the weekend. She will outgross GT's true Friday, its Saturday and Sunday by more than $5.3M. I wouldn't be surprised if Barbie drops less than 15% this weekend if NCD treats it well as it likely will.

1 hour ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Idk about funding, but I read somewhere he does it because he just wants to keep busy after the death of his wife. It made me sad and I don't like making fun of it much now :(

To be honest, they're guilty pleasure movies for me. And my mom adores him so I always take her to see them. We were bummed it doesn't seem to be releasing here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I just got an email from Warner Bros about Meg 2 being available for purchase on home video. Sheesh, that’s a quick jump from theaters to home video. 

Seems fast even for Warner standards.

9 hours ago, Eric the Car said:

So what's everybody's Sunday plans for National Cinema Day? My viewing is going to be American Graffitti. First time I've seen it, and I'm quite curious to see what George Lucas created before he destroyed the world.

I have seen on social media some people bought tickets to like 3 or 4 movies. They are going to spend the whole day at the theatres lol

6 hours ago, M37 said:

I really don’t understand where these $8M projected Sunday numbers are coming from … that’s 2M admits! 

To put that in perspective, that would be on par with (if not above!) Oppenheimer’s opening Sunday. There just aren’t enough seats allocated for any one movie to reach that level IMO

Could it because of the extended business hour allow more admission? 

https://deadline.com/2023/08/national-cinema-day-2023-admissions-update-1235528386/

–There’s roughly 800k more available seats for purchase on Sunday compared to Saturday. This means that exhibitors are programming more titles on Sunday over Saturday, and extending their hours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Not surprised. Every piece of article or news as well as NCD promo trailer has Barbie at the center when promoting NCD. This is kind of like new marketing for Barbie which is puzzling to me at the same time. Other movies with lesser gross need NCD boost more than a $1.4bn juggernaut but our media choose to go for "winner takes all" approach. 

It's easier to market a pop-culture phenomenon to the last holdouts than untested new releases or films that are seen as 'tarnished' due to lower BO