Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

Some theaters are definitely benefitting more from NCD than others. Particularly the ones with more expensive usual prices and premium screens. At the theater I usually go to, which has $7 matinees every day and $5 Tuesdays, most screenings don't have more than a handful of seats sold. Meanwhile, another theater in the area costs almost twice as much for a typical ticket and has PLFs that are even more expensive ($16-$20) already has pretty packed auditoriums on Sunday for pretty much every movie (the most empty screening I can find is a 9:30AM Haunted Mansion, which has sold only 3 tickets). I wonder if the cheaper theater will fill up more as sellouts happen at the expensive one.

I'm very curious to see how this all shakes out for Sunday's grosses. Blue Beetle is definitely selling the best at my local theaters, probably owing to the large hispanic population here.

• Thanks 1

Taking a look at various theatres, it does seem like Barbie will benefit greatly from NCD. I wonder if it is a lot of repeat viewers. Those that thoroughly enjoyed the movie and might have otherwise waited until streaming release to re-watch it might just figure, for $4 why not see it again in the theatre. 

1 hour ago, Eric the Car said:

So what's everybody's Sunday plans for National Cinema Day? My viewing is going to be American Graffitti. First time I've seen it, and I'm quite curious to see what George Lucas created before he destroyed the world.

Strays with a group of friends, hoping that watching it with a crowd will make it more enjoyable…

Re: Gran Turismo, I’ve been very surprised at the number of online reviewers (not official critics, but some peeps I follow on Instagram or Letterboxd) who are genuinely really praising it. Making me want to check it out lol 

• Like 2

It'll definitely be interesting to see how National Cinema Day goes this year. Unfortunately our leading chain here in Turkey has decided to scrap their plans to participate with discount tickets for the weekend as the prices were updated to be the usual ones. What a shame. I did finally go see Blue Beetle today now that I'm back home, and it was honestly a pretty cool movie. Had they fleshed out some major moments more and executed the superhero aspects a little differently it could've been outright great, but I still had a good time. Seeing as how the movie's bombing, I hope both the director and star find success elsewhere in the near future.

I'll also call Barbie retaking the #1 spot for the weekend, as Gran Turismo is indeed a nonstarter and Blue Beetle is heading for another collapse akin to the last couple of DC movies.

Given how it fared OS, the numbers for Gran Turismo aren't too surprising. I think Sony just had no clue how to market it and I suspect even without SAG AFTRA being on strike, the cast wouldn't have increased awareness by much. 

Just now, vinny2487 said:

Maybe Charlie can clarify, but is he saying that Sunday could eclipse the $8.5m BB earned last Saturday? 

He's saying it will definitely eclipse it in number of tickets sold, and maybe exceed those $8.5 Million. The former will happen but I don't think the latter will, it would have to have waaaaay more admits than last Saturday (like 2.5x more)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric the Car said:

So what's everybody's Sunday plans for National Cinema Day? My viewing is going to be American Graffitti. First time I've seen it, and I'm quite curious to see what George Lucas created before he destroyed the world.

Blue Beetle and Barbie! 

Was hard to find tickets at my local theaters so I had to go to the OC. Blue Beetle is selling quite well at my local AMC, Harkins, Regal and Cinemark! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric the Car said:

I've got Blue Beetle lined up with the family.

24 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

He's saying it will definitely eclipse it in number of tickets sold, and maybe exceed those $8.5 Million. The former will happen but I don't think the latter will, it would have to have waaaaay more admits than last Saturday (like 2.5x more)

Yeah, it makes sense that the newest blockbuster that not many people have seen but is still in loads of theaters would probably get the most out of such a promotional day

1 hour ago, VanillaSkies said:

Taking a look at various theatres, it does seem like Barbie will benefit greatly from NCD. I wonder if it is a lot of repeat viewers. Those that thoroughly enjoyed the movie and might have otherwise waited until streaming release to re-watch it might just figure, for $4 why not see it again in the theatre. 

Not surprised. Every piece of article or news as well as NCD promo trailer has Barbie at the center when promoting NCD. This is kind of like new marketing for Barbie which is puzzling to me at the same time. Other movies with lesser gross need NCD boost more than a $1.4bn juggernaut but our media choose to go for "winner takes all" approach. 

7 minutes ago, lilmac said:

$12.993M is my estimate for Barbie

I am predicting a 38.5% decrease.

Oops, it's end of summer for schools. That's right.

Adjusted prediction:

21% decrease - $16.6M

Edited by lilmac

https://deadline.com/2023/08/box-office-gran-turismo-barbie-blue-beetle-1235528051/

Gran Turismo at 3,856 theaters is seeing $8M for Friday which includes in total $5.3M in previews from not just Thursday, but ten days of previews. 

LMAO that is a hilarious statistic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

5 minutes ago, Eric the Car said:

So, they might get their $20M after all?  (You know that was the goal).

$5.3M previews

$2.7M Friday

$4M Saturday

$8M Sunday

Maybe?  Or at least they'll project that Sunday morning?

• Like 1