Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

Anyone hear about the theatrical Jurassic Park re-release coming out this weekend? It’s a 30th anniversary release. 👩🏻‍💼

Bet huge fans of the film and the franchise would check it out. Boosting up the DOM-lifetime gross, which currently is at $404.2M DOM. 

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Gran Turismo is… fine. I pretty much agree with what I’ve heard from a few critics. Performances are generally good (minus a few really bad lines that remind me of the SW prequels in a “no actor could have made that sound good so I don’t blame the actors” way). Blomkamp gives it just enough visual flair and style to keep the racing scenes engaging.

But man, the writing and pacing really let this down. It feels SO long, and part of that might be because the movie repeats the same dramatic beats over and over. I like long movies. I like movies that FEEL along, as long as they are dynamic in either the action/setting, or the character arcs/drama. GT feels long, and all of the action scenes are largely interchangeable. Most of the character arcs and relationships feel half-baked or incomplete. 

But it’s just about entertaining enough for a pass. If Ford v Ferrari is like the “home cooked meal” of racing movies, this is like.. McDonalds. It’s nothing good for you, but it looks pretty tasty, and it’ll get the job done if you’re hungry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Audiences enjoying GT more than Blue Beetle. Nice. Hopefully, it develops some kind of legs. 

GT dropped out of the top 10 here in the UK on its second Saturday, if that’s any indication of legs lol. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

NCD is probably gonna lock up over JW DOM for Barbie in that race 

Last week Barbie made 32M after 40 percent drop if it would drop 40 percent every week it would finish around 626M NCD and Labor day will add another few millions so still nowhere near JW we will have to wait and see how much IMAX will add

4 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Could it because of the extended business hour allow more admission? 

https://deadline.com/2023/08/national-cinema-day-2023-admissions-update-1235528386/

–There’s roughly 800k more available seats for purchase on Sunday compared to Saturday. This means that exhibitors are programming more titles on Sunday over Saturday, and extending their hours.

But it’s the same level of extended hours theaters ran for Barbenheimer OW.  For the 4 days (including Thursday), Oppy had nearly 75K shows, which means around ~20K would have been for Sunday. Gran Tourismo has under 67K for its 4-day OW, and even with a Sunday heavier schedule, in same ballpark of 20K shows. So again, would require a similar level of sales to Oppy, which was over 60% capacity across all of MTC1 from 10A through 8P on that opening Sunday 

Blue Beetle meanwhile has only 46K shows for the weekend, just not enough volume to even make a run at 2M admits and $8M NCD gross 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1Robert1 said:

Last week Barbie made 32M after 40 percent drop if it would drop 40 percent every week it would finish around 626M NCD and Labor day will add another few millions so still nowhere near JW we will have to wait and see how much IMAX will add

This weekend will drop under 40% and next week with labor day will drop under 40% again.

Likely both weekend under 30%. 

Edited by vale9001

14 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

This weekend will drop under 40% and next week with labor day will drop under 40% again.

Likely both weekend under 30%. 

But also have to take into consideration that weekdays will be getting smaller as we roll into full Fall/school season. Best to look at full weeks, where Barbie just finished a $31.9M (-40%). The grossing volume and added bonuses like NCD and Labor Day weekend will help, and $650M+ is absolutely in play, but really have to wait and see where things stand that 2nd week of September to fine tune the final range