Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | #FRI - Equalizer $13.1M, Barbie $2.50M, GT $1.56M, Beetle $1.52M, Opp $1.32M, TMNT $1.04M

37 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

Since many many days Barbie was on course to finish around 630 now with NCD  and Labor Day it should do a little better, if Imax will add 20m it will finish over 650, if IMAX will add 15m it may need valentine days/oscars re-release.

20M seems like a stretch to me given that this is happening late september but who knows. Depending on when its announced to debut on streaming, that could affect its late legs as well. 

Dicaprio, Pitt and every other A-list white actor has gotten to work with directors who rarely, if ever, cast Black leads (lets be real) so not exactly a fair comparison. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

8 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

20M seems like a stretch to me given that this is happening late september but who knows. Depending on when its announced to debut on streaming, that could affect its late legs as well. 

Dicaprio, Pitt and every other A-list white actor has gotten to work with directors who rarely, if ever, cast Black leads (lets be real) so not exactly a fair comparison. 

Taylor swift will probably kill Barbie late legs in mid-October, so i expect that around this time it will be on Max. It's really hard to predict how much Imax may add 20m is just around 1m tickets.  

• Like 1

Again I'll reiterate but I feel like the "Denzel should have a better career. Why doesn't he pick better movies?" people are being deliberately obtuse to the obvious reason why his filmography isn't there with like DiCaprio or whatever. What was the role in a Scorsese or Nolan or Spielberg or PTA movie he could've taken but didn't? You think they were offered to him? He's literally said he wants to work with these people!

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 21

41 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Again I'll reiterate but I feel like the "Denzel should have a better career. Why doesn't he pick better movies?" people are being deliberately obtuse to the obvious reason why his filmography isn't there with like DiCaprio or whatever. What was the role in a Scorsese or Nolan or Spielberg or PTA movie he could've taken but didn't? You think they were offered to him? He's literally said he wants to work with these people!

He been nominated for 10 academy awards was just recently nominated 2 years ago. He is an icon. He has earned the right to make whatever he wants and work with whoever he wants at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah but as a result they have pretty damn impeccable filmographies full of incredible roles. So it’s not exactly the worst strategy to take if you’re an actor who is aware you’re very talented. 

IDK, I watch TCM and some of the classics were definitely awards bait in their time (war epics, Biblical pics), but it's also film noir, comedies, early horror, gangster pics, B movies...there's more to a film legacy than only being in movies engineered for Oscars. They were making biopics in the 1930s and 1940s and for every Pride of the Yankees that's beloved decades later, there's ten more of Disraeli or The Story of Louis Pasteur or Wilson or A Song to Remember (all nominated/winning Best Actor performances).

I think Leo's awards bait is more varied than just serious true stories, but I wish he and Kate Winslet could reunite in something quality but lighthearted, with zero awards pretensions. And I like prestige movies, but I am more impressed with actors who are equally comfortable in them and more commercial projects.

1 hour ago, bastian said:

Don’t think its true Leo only do Oscar bait. He is one of the best but i don’t think Inception, Shudder Island, Don’t Look Up are what you call Oscar bait movies. 

I think Shutter Island was absolutely greenlit with awards in mind. It was originally scheduled to come out the first weekend of October 2009, then Paramount pushed it to 2010 because they didn't have a spare $50-60 million for a full awards marketing campaign . They even hoped for a Silence of the Lambs sort of awards run with its early 2010 release date (didn't happen).

Don't Look Up has a star-studded cast in a climate change/Covid metaphor released in December. Of course Netflix was hoping for awards (they certainly spend like it during Oscar season); it was just too polarizing to win much.

Inception, okay, a Nolan action thriller film in 2010 was definitely not a guaranteed path to Oscar, though it was still a bit more elevated than something like Taken or Safe House.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

As for the Neeson comp… Denzel is overall a more talented actor who didn’t suddenly just start having big success with mindless action movies in his old age like Liam, so not a great parallel. 

C'mon, they are both very talented actors with strong screen presence. Neeson has Schindler's List, nuff said.

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

Agreed. DiCaprio, Brad Pitt have some of the best filmographies. Denzel is better actor than both of them. wish he would have taken some more chances

Brad Pitt does his challenging roles but he also had no problem doing stuff like Tony Scott action movies, Mr. and Mrs Smith, World War Z and Bullet Train. Stuff that Leo wouldn't touch with a thousand foot pole 

• Like 1

Some terrific actors being named. No insult to them. Thing is, Denzel could have played most of their roles if race-blind casting was a thing. He could have been Billy Beane or Howard Hughes. But none of these actors could play Denzel's roles. There's only one Denzel.

• Like 6

It also depends on the relationship between director and actor. Leo has been Scorsese's man since the 2000s while Denzel is Fuqua's in the same period. Really depends more in what the director wants to make if you have that close relationship (similar with Cruise and McQ though that's probably a more even partnership).

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Training Day would be a C movie at absolute best wo the Denzel performance. That’s the only thing saving it from being something long forgotten that people would never bring up if it was just some average performance in the lead role. 

Training day is a vehicle for the actor playing Alonzo so the fact that you're telling me the film would be worse without Denzel's amazing performance is not the gotcha moment you think it is. That said the film is still smartly written and so long as you're going in blind it can really catch you off-guard in making you increasingly uncertain about Alonzo's actions. It wouldn't be a bad film regardless, but yes, Denzel knocking it out of the park made it a classic.

12 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

If only he was younger and could replace his son in Tenet.

They would have needed to travel back in time for that. Nolan was dedicated to making it happen but production timelines meant he didn't finish cracking it.

• Haha 1