BadOlCatSylvester

September 15th-17th of 2023 Weekend Thread | $1.2M previews for A Haunting in Venice

1 hour ago, Eric Poirot said:

I’m typically not a “why was this greenlit” guy, since movies take a long time from pitch to production to release that something that seemed surefire at first would become a bomb a year or two later.

But like…why was this greenlit? Why make a sequel for a franchise nobody is passionate over and the last movie was a flop? Why go down a horror angle that makes this too square for horror fans and too spooky for old people? Why even green light something for an audience that doesn’t go to the movies anymore? I don’t even think Death on the Nile was a big hit for Hulu, because I don’t think it even got onto the Nielsen charts

Was this all done because Disney wants Branagh to make a Hulu show? I genuinely don’t get it.

I mean I think the first film grossing $350 MM off a $55 MM budget is plenty of reason to greenlight a third film, especially when it was hard to say at the time how much DotN's box office was hampered by omicron. I definitely agree that leaning into the horror element was likely a very bad call financially ("too square for horror fans and too spooky for old people" puts it pretty aptly). It's like they once again have an extenuating circumstance that makes it tough to tell how much appeal this potential franchise has in it, only this time it was self-imposed.

DotN's success on Hulu was also a factor in why this one got the greenlight, so who knows, if this one can muster DotN level numbers and also be a similar sized streaming it, maybe we'll get a fourth. As BadOlCat pointed out, Branagh has a great working relationship with Dinsey. In fact, five of his last seven movies has been for either Disney or Fox. Maybe letting him continue the franchise, even if it's only moderately profitable at the BO, is worth it to them just to give them splashy Hulu product and keep Branagh in-house.

Although, if we do get a fourth one, I'd be really surprised if it's not an adaptation of one of the better known titles (I mean, the only big screen adaptation of Roger Ackroyd is a lost 1931 film, so that seems like it'd be ripe for the picking).

Edited by Chrysaor

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I admit going for a Christie novel that wasn't that well known or popular was an odd choice, I think Evil Under the Sun or The ABC Murders probably would done a bit better.

and the plot is basically new.

But i mean they changed the title so i think very very few people  know from what novel is inspired. 

Edited by vale9001

Meh preview number for Venice. I realised some lack of momentum in the late-presale cycle, likely due to absence of marketing push by the cast. In any case, the same range of OW with DoN despite better reception would just mean that the landscape adult drama hasn't really improved in the past 18 months. 

• Like 1

BOMB   BOMB  BOMB   BOMB BOMB

O      O   O     O   O   BOMB     O O      O

M     M  M     M  M       B         M M     M

BOMB   B      B   B                   B  BOMB

O      O   O     O   O                   O  O      O

M     M  M     M  M                  M M     M

BOMB   BOMB   B                  B   BOMB

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, Chrysaor said:

I mean I think the first film grossing $350 MM off a $55 MM budget is plenty of reason to greenlight a third film, especially when it was hard to say at the time how much DotN's box office was hampered by omicron. I definitely agree that leaning into the horror element was likely a very bad call financially ("too square for horror fans and too spooky for old people" puts it pretty aptly). It's like they once again have an extenuating circumstance that makes it tough to tell how much appeal this potential franchise has in it, only this time it was self-imposed.

DotN's success on Hulu was also a factor in why this one got the greenlight, so who knows, if this one can muster DotN level numbers and also be a similar sized streaming it, maybe we'll get a fourth. As BadOlCat pointed out, Branagh has a great working relationship with Dinsey. In fact, five of his last seven movies has been for either Disney or Fox. Maybe letting him continue the franchise, even if it's only moderately profitable at the BO, is worth it to them just to give them splashy Hulu product and keep Branagh in-house.

Although, if we do get a fourth one, I'd be really surprised if it's not an adaptation of one of the better known titles (I mean, the only big screen adaptation of Roger Ackroyd is a lost 1931 film, so that seems like it'd be ripe for the picking).

It would be very, very hard to film Ackoryd and stay faithful to the novel. I can't tell you why without basically spoiling the novel but let's just say the major plot twist in the novle would be almost impossible to do on film.

The Nun 2 at 3,743 theaters which is staring down an estimated $4M and $12.8M second weekend, a -61% decline, standard for a horror movie and running ten-day total of $54.5M.

In third, it’s Sony’s third weekend of The Equalizer 3 at 3,528 theaters with a third Friday of $2.1M, 3-day of $7.3M, -39%, and running total of $73.7M.

Fourth is Focus Features’ second weekend of My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 at 3,678 theaters which is seeing a second Friday of $1.2M, 3-day of $4M, -60% for a ten-day of $17.8M.

Warner Bros.’ Barbie in her ninth weekend at 3,012 is seeing a Friday of $915K, 3-day of $3.6M, -37% and a running total of $625.8M.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Giorno said:

The Nun 2 at 3,743 theaters which is staring down an estimated $4M and $12.8M second weekend, a -61% decline, standard for a horror movie and running ten-day total of $54.5M.

In third, it’s Sony’s third weekend of The Equalizer 3 at 3,528 theaters with a third Friday of $2.1M, 3-day of $7.3M, -39%, and running total of $73.7M.

Fourth is Focus Features’ second weekend of My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 at 3,678 theaters which is seeing a second Friday of $1.2M, 3-day of $4M, -60% for a ten-day of $17.8M.

Warner Bros.’ Barbie in her ninth weekend at 3,012 is seeing a Friday of $915K, 3-day of $3.6M, -37% and a running total of $625.8M.

Those all look reasonable, except for MGFGW3 - not even a 70% increase from Thursday?

1 hour ago, Giorno said:

Absolute fucking disaster. Disney is killing the movie business. They are incapable of selling movies that don't sell themselves. They are a pointless piece of shit studio.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Absolute fucking disaster. Disney is killing the movie business. They are incapable of selling movies that don't sell themselves. They are a pointless piece of shit studio.

Disney was carrying the movie business from 2015 to 2019 when most other studios put out mostly flops but with a few hits like Minions or Jurassic World. Disney was pumping out hit after hit in all of their divisions in that time period, which made the whole industry look better.

Post-COVID, other studios are still putting out mostly flops with a few hits, but Disney has completely imploded, somehow releasing $200m bombs almost every month. Their sequels are grossing less than their predecessors released, 10, 20, even 40 years ago even without inflation. People thought Iger's return would somehow make things better but he has only destroyed their legacy further, even their parks and streaming service has been trashed.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Disney was carrying the movie business from 2015 to 2019 when most other studios put out mostly flops but with a few hits like Minions or Jurassic World. Disney was pumping out hit after hit in all of their divisions in that time period, which made the whole industry look better.

Post-COVID, other studios are still putting out mostly flops with a few hits, but Disney has completely imploded, somehow releasing $200m bombs almost every month. Their sequels are grossing less than their predecessors released, 10, 20, even 40 years ago even without inflation. People thought Iger's return would somehow make things better but he has only destroyed their legacy further, even their parks and streaming service has been trashed.

All those movies were movies that sold themselves. I can also sell The Liong King or Avengers 37. I don't need Disney for that. They are incapable of selling a movie that needs effort. They are trash that is destroying the industry and already crushed the existence of Fox. They are a disease. They are by far the worst and most incompetent of the big 5 because all they know how to do to sell a movie is a barrage of TV spots. The only worst studio is the one-that-shall-not-be-named. I straight up refuse to acknowledge them, that is how bad they are. It is offensive for their movies to do so. I think Disney might go down that path on September 29. Disney is unreedemable. Fuck Disney. Fuck Netflix. Fuck the studio that shall not be named.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, CJohn said:

All those movies were movies that sold themselves. I can also sell The Liong King or Avengers 37. I don't need Disney for that. They are incapable of selling a movie that needs effort. They are trash that is destroying the industry and already crushed the existence of Fox. They are a disease. They are by far the worst and most incompetent of the big 5 because all they know how to do to sell a movie is a barrage of TV spots. The only worst studio is the one-that-shall-not-be-named. I straight up refuse to acknowledge them, that is how bad they are. It is offensive for their movies to do so. I think Disney might go down that path on September 29. Disney is unreedemable. Fuck Disney. Fuck Netflix. Fuck the studio that shall not be named.

Go to the pharmacy and buy some chill pills mah boi 🤣 

• Thanks 1