grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

Updated Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits are 96% positive, 89% definite recommend, kids under 12 hugging this at 97% positive and 83% must-see right away. Female skewing at 82% of course with 63% between 18-34 and the 25-34 year old being the biggest demo at 32% followed by 13-17 at 32%. Diversity demos were Caucasian 59%, Latino and Hispanic at 25%, Black at 3% and Asian/other at 13%.

• Like 1

There is not an artist right now who can pull in the same box office numbers as Taylor Swift for a concert film. Eras was a once in a lifetime concert that had unprecedented demand before the tour even started, and the scalper market was fueled by insane WOM. Taylor promised an unforgettable concert worth the price of admission, and she delivered. It's easily the best concert I've ever been to and was worth spending almost as much as I paid for 6-7 concerts total last year.

Renaissance's presales are evident of this being a phenomenon that can't be replicated. For one, the scalper market on Renaissance was nowhere near as insane as Eras with 100/200 section tickets in the $400-600 range readily available the week of concerts. BTS' last film did 8M on a single weekend and probably wouldn't be able to go past 15M for their next one despite having insane demand for their stadium tours.

People have been shouting for Lady Gaga to do a concert film for her next tour, but when I saw her last summer, tickets were still readily available at decent prices the week of the show. I'm sure they're going to try a concert film for Olivia Rodrigo after her Disney+ special and Billie Eilish doing a more limited release for her last concert, which will probably have similarly muted buzz; tickets for Rodrigo's MSG shows are going for $400-500 right now in the 100s, which will likely fall to the $300 range closer to the concert dates similar to Billie's sales last year. If Harry Styles' last tour wasn't a year ago, I guarantee they would've pumped out a film ASAP to capitalize on Eras, but again, you wouldn't be seeing anywhere close to Taylor-level grosses.

Concert films have historically been great ways to engage fans with more eventized releases. Eras is the exception, not the rule, and studios will probably realize that very soon.

• Like 2

This weekend, despite some let down by Eras, is still a better than nothing weekend. The BO hole left by Exorcist and Dune 2 is simply too big to fill but at least Taylor come in and help. Not to mention the holdovers such as the Creator and Venice seem enjoying great hold too.    

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

There is not an artist right now who can pull in the same box office numbers as Taylor Swift for a concert film. Eras was a once in a lifetime concert that had unprecedented demand before the tour even started, and the scalper market was fueled by insane WOM. Taylor promised an unforgettable concert worth the price of admission, and she delivered. It's easily the best concert I've ever been to and was worth spending almost as much as I paid for 6-7 concerts total last year.

Renaissance's presales are evident of this being a phenomenon that can't be replicated. For one, the scalper market on Renaissance was nowhere near as insane as Eras with 100/200 section tickets in the $400-600 range readily available the week of concerts. BTS' last film did 8M on a single weekend and probably wouldn't be able to go past 15M for their next one despite having insane demand for their stadium tours.

People have been shouting for Lady Gaga to do a concert film for her next tour, but when I saw her last summer, tickets were still readily available at decent prices the week of the show. I'm sure they're going to try a concert film for Olivia Rodrigo after her Disney+ special and Billie Eilish doing a more limited release for her last concert, which will probably have similarly muted buzz; tickets for Rodrigo's MSG shows are going for $400-500 right now in the 100s, which will likely fall to the $300 range closer to the concert dates similar to Billie's sales last year. If Harry Styles' last tour wasn't a year ago, I guarantee they would've pumped out a film ASAP to capitalize on Eras, but again, you wouldn't be seeing anywhere close to Taylor-level grosses.

Concert films have historically been great ways to engage fans with more eventized releases. Eras is the exception, not the rule, and studios will probably realize that very soon.

Beyonce's tickets were more expensive. 

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Is Justin Beiber over?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Is Justin Beiber over?

For a while now. He doesn't have the die hard fanbase nor the hits from a decade ago.

Just look at the difference in box office for his first concert movie and the second one even though they were just like 2-3 years apart.

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

He’s still successful but nothing remotely close to Taylor 

She’s probably the biggest artist of the century by quite some margin

Isn't that an incredibly controversial statement? She goes missing with a huge demo, Comscore has literally just said only 3% of the audience was black....

I know I’m not the only one, but I’m very confused by TET release pattern. No shows during the week. If you look at a lot of the AMC’s in NY/LA for next weekend, some of them are already packed! Fans repeat viewings? People who bought non-refundable tickets now stick with them? I honestly don’t know how it will hold in the weeks ahead, let alone how is will hold this Saturday. One of the rare films that will be a Wild Card its entire release.

15 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

He’s still successful but nothing remotely close to Taylor 

She’s probably the biggest artist of the century by quite some margin

I suppose only the US. Not an exact science or ultimate measure but worldwide Beiber seems a lot higher than Taylor, though recently Swift ahead.
Screenshot-2023-10-14-at-21-51-58.png

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1