Bob Train

FNAF Weekend Thread (10/27-10/29) | $80m Opening Weekend | Blumhouse's Biggest Opener Ever | $14.7m The Eras Tour | $9.3m KOTFM

This is why I don't take it seriously when people say only great movies can do well at BO nowadays. Despite Mario and FNAF not being the best films in terms of quality, they blew up the box office. 

Sure, they may be based on a prior IP, which is why they are huge, but have bad movies *not* based on a prior IP ever performed well, at least in the last, say, 20 years?

I feel even Pre-COVID it's only huge IP movies like Transformers that were able to get 20% RT and make huge numbers.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Don't forget TET's historic 300m OW. 😉 

(just busting your chops very slightly as everyone has misses)

This Humming Lemon person clearly has quite the crush on Relevation. It was quite the revelation when I noticed it.

csi miami GIF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

This is why I don't take it seriously when people say only great movies can do well at BO nowadays. Despite Mario and FNAF not being the best films in terms of quality, they blew up the box office. 

Sure, they may be based on a prior IP, which is why they are huge, but have bad movies *not* based on a prior IP ever performed well, at least in the last, say, 20 years?

I feel even Pre-COVID it's only huge IP movies like Transformers that were able to get 20% RT and make huge numbers.

Yeah even Venom with a 26% RT did huge numbers

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Indeed. No one cares about Fast and Furious, Transformers anymore. They are so 2013.

Barbie is the new Fast and Furious. Mario is the new Transformers.

Comparing the critically acclaimed Barbie movie, which has a great chance at a best picture nomination at the Oscars, to Fast and Furious is insane. 

FNAF joins The Lost Boys, Child’s Play 2, The Silence of the Lambs, The Sixth Sense, The Conjuring, The Conjuring 2, Get Out and A Quiet Place Part II as the only horror movies to get an A- cinemascore. No horror movie has above an A-.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Good cinemascore. Fans liking it will likely lead to repeat business, since that is the core audience for this anyways. I’m a high school teacher and many of my students are going multiple times just so they can see it with different friends. Anecdotal sure, but that’s solid for a movie like this.

Also I know it’s just one data point and our tried and true trackers like @Porthos @keysersoze123 @M37 @XXR's Eras Tour and others can probably provide better, more accurate data, but across the handful of British Columbia theaters I track, this thing blew up tonight. Wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if Friday total (including Thursday) landed in the low-40s. 

The theatres I track suggest a true Friday somewhere in the range of 28M (low end) to 33M (high end). We’ll see where this thing lands.

• Like 2