Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think that some expect Joker bump for TB 2 like TDK since he's the most popular of Bats villains. But that movie captured the zeitgeist beyind just Joker's presence plus there was Ledger's death so how much Joker alone proped it is hard to say. The character is wildly popular, though, since Phoenix version bcame first ever R movie to crack a billie. We'll see. 

I'm 99% sure joker won't be the villain of TB2, reeves might use him in the tv shows but not sure he wants to use joker when he's been done so much in the last 15 years in films and tv

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The Batman 2 will do well but decrease from the original I think. First one had some novelty Pattinson becoming Bats and the look of the film but I’m not sure it had much audience staying power 

It depends on the quality. As I said, you can draw some big parallels with TB and BB  in terms of both performance and reception, so that would indicate TB2 is in a spot for a massive breakout if reception is even better. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Deadline...

Marvels - $47-55M OW / $21-22M Total Friday

https://deadline.com/2023/11/box-office-the-marvels-1235599363/

FNAF will take 2nd - $2.6M Fri / $7.8M weekend

Looks around 14.4/15.4m true friday. Deadline's projections suck as usual. Its Veteran's day holiday today. Presales for tomorrow is lower than Friday at similar point and I am not convinced walkups will be that much better. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Giorno said:

I'm 99% sure joker won't be the villain of TB2, reeves might use him in the tv shows but not sure he wants to use joker when he's been done so much in the last 15 years in films and tv

So Barry Keoghan Joker tease was for nothing? Hard to imagine they'll save him for movie 3. 

Edited by Valonqar

28 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I get what you're saying and its totally possible, but Guardians 3 is very different from Deadpool 3. 

1. GOTG vol 3 was just another Guardians film and didn't really promise much in terms of continuing the overreaching multiverse storyline 

2. Hugh Jackman announcement interactions are super nuts on twitter which tells me people are at least aware of the upcoming project

3. Cameos and multiverse storylines in the MCU sells tickets 

I think this is what people are forgetting when discussing The Marvels. It feels like Thor 2: The Dark World in terms of how much the film matters in the big scheme of things. As in, it doesn't. (And yes, I know there was an infinity stone in that film; my point remains)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Looks around 14.4/15.4m true friday. Deadline's projections suck as usual. Its Veteran's day holiday today. Presales for tomorrow is lower than Friday at similar point and I am not convinced walkups will be that much better. 

I think Deadline is slowing the drop, so it doesn't seem like it was sudden and a huge miss...a few million per day (heading from $60M+ to up to $55M here but mentioning $47M) means tomorrow's update can be a few more million down, and then Sunday a few more:)...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I think this is what people are forgetting when discussing The Marvels. It feels like Thor 2: The Dark World in terms of how much the film matters in the big scheme of things. As in, it doesn't. (And yes, I know there was an infinity stone in that film; my point remains)

I feel like people overestimate the importance of cameos. In the past, people would show up to Marvel movies because they made really enjoyable popcorn flicks. I mean, I'm an insufferable film nerd, but even I had fun with those movies. No one showed up to movies starring nobodies (at the time) GoTG or Ant-Man to see how they would tie into the storyline, they did so because they had really positive WOM. I would actually argue that the reason people are losing interest is because TOO much focus goes into the "big scheme of things". Stop giving us homework that we have to do before watching a film, just make them enjoyable popcorn flicks again

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Speaking of Sony and CBMs… sub 40/sub 75 DOM/WW total for Madame Web. 

nah, there's a lot of of men saying they have no problem with madame web because they like the actresses. The hate and bullyng when they think the actress are ugly ( rachel zegler, halle bailey) 

The Marvels was honestly a lot of fun, had a great time watching it. Definitely on the good side of Phase 4/5 movies. It was good, funny, and straight to the point (which is maybe my biggest criticism on the movie). Sad that it is doing so poorly, it is better than the first and Kamala steals the movie, although Brie Larson shines much more than in any of her other appearances in the MCU. I hope that, even if it is a big failure, these characters continue their story. 

28 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So Barry Keoghan Joker tease was for nothing? Hard to imagine they'll save him for movie 3. 

I could imagine teasing joker as the behind the scenes villain. Like hugo strange/raas al ghul/ black madk as the main villain and in the end its revealed this is part of jokers bigger plan.

28 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think Deadline is slowing the drop, so it doesn't seem like it was sudden and a huge miss...a few million per day (heading from $60M+ to up to $55M here but mentioning $47M) means tomorrow's update can be a few more million down, and then Sunday a few more:)...

I'm not arguing with you just questioning why you think Deadline would want to soften the blow for Disney/Marvel?  

By the way, I don't think it can get $55M. 

34 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

He’s too good of an actor to be wasted imo. They really lucked out by getting him before he became so big - they can’t afford to squander that

47 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The Batman 2 will do well but decrease from the original I think. First one had some novelty Pattinson becoming Bats and the look of the film but I’m not sure it had much audience staying power 

I think it'll drop. Maybe not as bad as the drop from Dawn to War with the apes films, but I could see a drop to the 500-600 range.

6 minutes ago, Coldbird said:

I could imagine teasing joker as the behind the scenes villain. Like hugo strange/raas al ghul/ black madk as the main villain and in the end its revealed this is part of jokers bigger plan.

that could work if he is actually present to a degree but maybe not the most exposed villain.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

He’s too good of an actor to be wasted imo. They really lucked out by getting him before he became so big - they can’t afford to squander that

After the awards success Jokers enjoyed (Best Supporting, Best Actor), I think that WB is aware that the character is soemthign special and therefore must be played by special talents. 

58 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think it will increase, but not by much. Thinking low $800Ms

I think y'all have to be careful in the belief that everything comic book related is going to drop from previous installments.  There's no reason yet to believe that The Batman 2 or Deadpool 3 or anything else is in jeopardy.  Nobody asked for or wanted "The Marvels" apparently and MCU overall had been on a bit of a downward spiral. 

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. was somewhat removed from current MCU as it really was just it's own thing and that did not see a worldwide decrease from previous movies.