Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

21 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Either Joker or Wicked is gonna be the biggest grosser next year.  

If Wicked was not a two-parter? I think it could have been a real blockbuster. Splitting it into two, when the best songs are all in the first half, and there’s not really any need to do it, is idiotic, and I think wastes some real potential

• Like 8

I don't understand this talk I keep seeing about Elemental legs for The Marvels. It's something I keep seeing fans bring up on social media like Twitter and Reddit and I don't see what Pixar legs and Marvel legs have in common? Captain Marvel had a solid 2.76 multiplier, how does that translate to the sequel having a 5.2 multiplier. Name one Marvel movie in the MCU that has a 5.2 multiplier. I believe Guardians 1 has the highest multiplier followed closely by Black Panther. The best case scenario is a 3.5 multiplier. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

We'll find out in 2 years if it's true, it's gonna be a long wait.

I agree, Captain Marvel did 1.1 bln and was loved by twitter.

Captain Marvel was NOT loved by twitter lol. Like the exact opposite. You're not even on twitter by your own admission how would you even know?

2 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

If Wicked was not a two-parter? I think it could have been a real blockbuster. Splitting it into two, when the best songs are all in the first half, and there’s not really any need to do it, is idiotic, and I think wastes some real potential

Wait... They split it in two? Goddammit I thought we were passed that bullshit by now

• Like 2

Just now, Mulder said:

Captain Marvel was NOT loved by twitter lol. Like the exact opposite. You're not even on twitter by your own admission how would you even know?

I was 4 years ago. Praising Captain Marvel was a statement against gamer gate crowd, kinda like with Fiege's Ghostbusters, and twitter loves statements.

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

I was 4 years ago. Praising Captain Marvel was a statement against gamer gate crowd, kinda like with Fiege's Ghostbusters, and twitter loves statements.

This has literally nothing to do with what we're even talking about.

29 minutes ago, Firepower said:

We could say twitter loved to make an statement and fight gamer gate crowd.

However, it doesn't seem they really loved Captain Marvel as character.

7 minutes ago, Kon said:

We could say twitter loved to make an statement and fight gamer gate crowd.

However, it doesn't seem they really loved Captain Marvel as character.

Twitter activists who love films do not make movies hits. I don't doubt that they love Carol Danvers but that doesn't mean that mainstream audiences did. 

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Yeah this is the thing exactly. The Batman's kept its relevance online. It's still being discussed heavily and it was very well received. 

Eh, I'm not sold. I know online it's been well received sure, but I don't know anybody in my circle that enjoyed it. Whether we're an anomaly, I don't know, somehow I doubt it. But it's a Batman film in a pretty empty window, it making money wasn't a surprise. 

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Hopefully RTH or Jat will be able to give us the Friday numbers tonight.😏

Charlie might tweet about it. So keep an eye. He probably might not be keen to post here. In fact most MCU fans would stay away this weekend(good idea for sure). This thread gets heated and toxic for sure. 

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Of the superhero stuff in the future, I think only The Batman 2 and whenever Beyond The Spider-Verse comes out are guaranteed hits. They're the only things with people actively invested in and interested in them. I think Deadpool 3 and Superman: Legacy have potential but the jury's still out on those until we get closer (Especially in Superman: Legacy's case). Everything else I very much doubt will make a splash honestly.

Joker 2 will be huge. Sequel to a beloved cultural phenomenon + has Lady Gaga. The budget is well under $200m unlike most of the bloat released today. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Eh, I'm not sold. I know online it's been well received sure, but I don't know anybody in my circle that enjoyed it. Whether we're an anomaly, I don't know, somehow I doubt it. But it's a Batman film in a pretty empty window, it making money wasn't a surprise. 

I think this year has made it clear that having relevance online is actually important now. Memes matter.

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It has a 4.0 on Letterboxd, an 87% on RT's audience score, an A- Cinemascore, and got a multiplier of 2.75 domestically with a relatively early HBO Max release. It was well received. I'm not the biggest fan of The Batman, but I can't cite my own opinion or the opinion of my friends group as if that's the general reception.

1 hour ago, TheFlatLannister said:

It 100% has nothing to do with quality. It was tracking way below $10M previews which is a big red flag for any MCU sequel

It’s all about quality — the quality of MoM, L&T, QM and to a lesser degree even Secret Invasion. The Marvels quality itself being meh doesn’t help but I guess it will do like 50->125 and if it was great maybe that could be like 60->200 or whatever which is still very floppish.

Not exactly the sort of weekend that’s going to rekindle my interest in BO but it is objectively very notable/interesting so I hope some people have fun this weekend :) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It has a 4.0 on Letterboxd, an 87% on RT's audience score, an A- Cinemascore, and got a multiplier of 2.75 domestically with a relatively early HBO Max release. It was well received. I'm not the biggest fan of The Batman, but I can't cite my own opinion or the opinion of my friends group as if that's the general reception.

I was also pretty meh on it myself. But it pretty clearly struck a chord with a lot of people. Especially the core demographic of superhero movies.

• Like 1