The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

17 hours ago, Halberstram said:

Any theories as to why that is? 

dvd%20chart.jpg

Easy to overblow the industry difference, but The dvd bubble suddenly popping and loosing 56-57% of its income in just 2-3 years combined with the financial crisis changed risk management-spending quite a bit.

There always a bit of a delay between market change and what get out because of the time it take to make movie, but what was greenlight in 2009 and certainly by 2010 would have seen the shift.

the amount of liberty Peter Weir had on Master and Commander the amount of resource to make a movie like Fun with Dick and Jane, little movie like Dwayne Johnson Gridiron Gang turning a small profit for the studio doing 41m at the world box office on a 30m budget (or Batman Begins being a printing money machine doing 350m on a near 200m budget), that was all over.

You want to control cost and feel if you push them in pre-post production cutting down on the number of main photography day you will have more control, movie that could have had 100 days in the 70s-80s went down to 80 than 60, etc....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Too bad Flower Moon is looking to exit soon because it was actually seeing some staying power these past few weeks. Maybe a re-release will get it to $70M.

In the end, it did very good. Highest of the Oscar hopefuls, except Barbenheimer

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Too bad Flower Moon is looking to exit soon because it was actually seeing some staying power these past few weeks. Maybe a re-release will get it to $70M.

At least Apple let it play like a full run. it will get tons of noms that should hopefully lead to expansion in Feb timeframe. its length proved to be the achilees heel plus of course Marty needs to be reined in on his budgets for sure. This movie has limited international appeal and this long a movie means its difficult for most audience. We are not in Benhur or Lawrence of Arabia timeframe. 

Plus this is chump change to the fruit company and they have a prestige movie which is a awards play on their streaming service. 

40 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

0cb208fcaaffc4ffcebcb59b84586c7e.gif

They called me a madman. They dismissed me as a looney doomer. But in the end, I WON. MY CLUB HAS WON. Once again, I thank those of you who joined me. I took a shot in the dark, and it scored a bullseye landing. Here's to many more bullseyes to come!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

Other than the biggest bomb of all time, this weekend seems good to me, considering our new reality 

THG is okayish, but with a 95M budget, is decent. 

Trolls 3 shaping up to have a nice run globally. 

Thanksgiving did fine, especially considering the budget. 

Smaller movies are solid, Priscilla especially. Saltburn also looks like it can be another mini breakout for this type of movies. 

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

At least Apple let it play like a full run. it will get tons of noms that should hopefully lead to expansion in Feb timeframe. its length proved to be the achilees heel plus of course Marty needs to be reined in on his budgets for sure. This movie has limited international appeal and this long a movie means its difficult for most audience. We are not in Benhur or Lawrence of Arabia timeframe. 

Plus this is chump change to the fruit company and they have a prestige movie which is a awards play on their streaming service. 

Exactly don't know how many times it can be said that Apple did not spend the money on Killers and Napeoleon expecting to make their money back. They have the money and it was to establish relations with two legendary filmmakers who are making movies that the studios are not eager to put the money up for now and they have product for their streaming service.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

'The Marvels'  77% drop

'Ant-Man 3' 70% drop

'Thor Love and Thunder' 67% drop

'Doctor Strange 2' 67% drop

MCU's legs haven't been the best in a while. 

True but the difference between 77% and 67% drops is quite big - for a 67 % drop Marvels would have needed to do ~15.2m this weekend.

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Other than the biggest bomb of all time, this weekend seems good to me, considering our new reality 

THG is okayish, but with a 95M budget, is decent. 

Trolls 3 shaping up to have a nice run globally. 

Thanksgiving did fine, especially considering the budget. 

Smaller movies are solid, Priscilla especially. Saltburn also looks like it can be another mini breakout for this type of movies. 

yep no reason for the doom and gloom. If we look at each movie on a individual basis and the expectations for each one instead of putting the burden on them to blow up to save the theatrical movie industry. None of these current movies are NWH, WOW, TG Maverick, Barbie, Oppie, or Mario. The complete implosion of the MCU currently is it's own thing.

I will say I am glad that Holdovers, Priscilla, and (likely) Saltburn are all headed towards higher totals than the Tar/Banshees nuclear bomb range from last year. With KOTFM and (likely) Napoleon making over 60m, at least adults saw movies slightly more than lat year. So not as depressing unless you go back and look at the good old days of like..... 2011, when you had tons and tons of Moneyball types in that 50-75 range and not just two a year. Apparently if you point out this indisputable and verifiable fact you get called an Eeyore, so I'll focus on the good.

• Like 5